logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
unique  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:44:20 AM(UTC)
unique

See attached file, I would like to improve this facetted appearance please:confused:

VCad (Build 786)
unique attached the following image(s):
coarse.jpg (35kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:05:38 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Paul, isn't what you are looking for in the display preferences?

I know that if you export drawings and then open them up in Illustrator, you can produce a far higher standard of line.
unique  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:28:20 AM(UTC)
unique

ttrw wrote:
Paul, isn't what you are looking for in the display preferences?

I know that if you export drawings and then open them up in Illustrator, you can produce a far higher standard of line.

Hi Tom: Nope, I have the preferences set to super fine :( . I just wondered if anyone else was seeing this effect??...this is a 3point circle 250mm dia that im looking at btw.
ttrw  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:35:29 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Paul, the effect is the same on any circle/ arc tool. I don't think there is anything wrong here, it is just the way that the software displays- in order to make display feedback faster. FWIW, AutoCAD does exactly the same.
unique  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:44:51 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Tom: If that is so then Autocad is also wrong !. How would I then know for sure that my curve fits the sample dxf...I wouldnt. I take your point about speed but that is exactly the reason why there are preferences on the display so that it can be throttled back where necessary.

Display for curves should be a walk in the park...thats why I asked the group to see in case it was a video card thing. Im using Nvidia Quadro FX3400 in this kit.

I hope I can imporve this :(
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:01:23 AM(UTC)
ttrw

unique wrote:
If that is so then Autocad is also wrong !. How would I then know for sure that my curve fits the sample dxf...I wouldnt. I take your point about speed but that is exactly the reason why there are preferences on the display so that it can be throttled back where necessary.

Display for curves should be a walk in the park...thats why I asked the group to see in case it was a video card thing. Im using Nvidia Quadro FX3400 in this kit.

Paul, I think this is a throwback to the days when a 486DX based PC or a 8mHz 68000 Motorola-based Macintosh cost a couple of grand or so, and as you rightly point out, times have indeed moved on.

However if a drawing is dimensioned properly, then there is no need for this accuracy in curvature because you know it's a circle- because it says (Circle) R=xx.x on the drawing (that is of course if the drawing is drawn to ISO BS:8888 standard!), center being xx.x away from vertex x and y etc.

When knocking up sketches drawn at 1:1 and not to scale, it doesn't matter at all how long the piece of string is, just as long as the dimensioning is correct. :)
unique  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:16:57 AM(UTC)
unique

Quote:
However if a drawing is dimensioned properly, then there is no need for this accuracy in curvature because you know it's a circle- because it says (Circle) R=xx.x on the drawing (that is of course if the drawing is drawn to ISO BS:8888 standard!), center being xx.x away from vertex x and y etc.

You missed my point, which is im matching up an imported DXF with an arc so I can create a revolved solid...im working on visual at this stage.

In any case the circle should be drawn 'super fine' right ? thats not what I am seeing my friend.
ttrw  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:25:30 AM(UTC)
ttrw

unique wrote:
my friend.

"My friend"? :eek: That sounds ominous!! :eek: LOL! :D

Okay- whatever......

Actually I think 'super fine' is for solids only. I know that you can change this sketch resolution in ACAD, but I think it is there in VC so that the software can cater for those who don't have NVidia Quattro cards in there computers.

I gotta get myself Shark as I'm badly missing the parametric dimensioning tools of VC :(

A new job starts next week, so hopefully........
jdi000  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:37:53 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hi, Paul

You have super fine you said but do you have the even distribution boxed check in the edit > change resolution? See Pic.

Have you tried the custom resolution.ini file yet???? see post http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1090

Be careful as the lower the values could possibly have impact on performance.

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
objectresolution.gif (6kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Windows 11, 10
unique  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:58:46 AM(UTC)
unique

jdi000 wrote:
Hi, Paul

You have super fine you said but do you have the even distribution boxed check in the edit > change resolution? See Pic.

Have you tried the custom resolution.ini file yet???? see post http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1090

Be careful as the lower the values could possibly have impact on performance.

Jason

Super !! that's what im looking for :p

No, I haven't tried any customizing yet, I am still checking the software out and nowhere near as experinced as you guys....yet ;)

BIG thanks Jason
ttrw  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:24:38 AM(UTC)
ttrw

hey Jason, that's a new one on me too! Thanks :D
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:48:13 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hmm- and found a bug...

1. draw a circle,

2. update to 'super fine'.

3. draw line from left circle quadrant to right vertex.

4. Superfine stops being 'superfine', despite still being indicated that it is.

5. uncheck superfine to medium, press okay.

6. recheck superfine, then it stays superfine.

Why didn't it just stay 'superfine' the first time round?
Steve.M  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:54:33 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
ttrw wrote:
I think this is a throwback to the days when a 486DX based PC or a 8mHz 68000 Motorola-based Macintosh cost a couple of grand or so, and as you rightly point out, times have indeed moved on.
So have cad systems, and viacad will need to improve in its visual output.

ttrw wrote:
Your opinion, and of course you can have that,.. but for me and probably many others, correct accurate visual feedback of what is drawn is a necessity.

ttrw wrote:
When knocking up sketches drawn at 1:1 and not to scale, it doesn't matter at all how long the piece of string is, just as long as the dimensioning is correct. :)
The thread is about visual accuracy, not that dimensioning can make it look correct.

As you mentioned string:- if you have a renderer and want to render a model of a piece of string, but it does not look correct, what do you do, have an arrow with a note stating it is a piece of string? or do you look for visual improvement?
Steve.M  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:00:27 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

jdi000 wrote:
I have seen that option, but cannot find a way to make it default for all objects drawn, so then find a need to go to "edit~ change resolution" for each object.

jdi000 wrote:
Have you tried the custom resolution.ini file yet?
An option I was unaware of, certainly works better (for a circle to look circular), but it still gives inaccurate visuals.
ttrw  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:04:28 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:

Your opinion, and of course you can have that,.. but for me and probably many others, correct accurate visual feedback of what is drawn is a necessity.

Steve, it's not an opinion, it's a British standard (hence 'BS')- but yes I quite agree with you, I just feel for Tim, that's all (so much to do, so little time as Mr Wonka would say :D )
Steve.M  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:05:52 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
FWIW, AutoCAD does exactly the same.
I dont remember having similar problems with autocad as I see in viacad.

I started with autocad (version2 I think) on a 386sx with co-pro. I could change resolution within the program and that was that. The main problem was the fact I had to give autocad a scale between the xy for the screen resolution so that a circle would look like a circle and not like an oval.
ttrw  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:10:01 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:
I have seen that option, but cannot find a way to make it default for all objects drawn, so then find a need to go to "edit~ change resolution" for each object.

See above bug notice...

I just figured out that you only need to update once- then all entities stay the same (superfine).
Steve.M  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:13:24 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
I just feel for Tim, that's all (so much to do, so little time as Mr Wonka would say :D )
I can understand that, and I know that display can be a large time consuming area to improve correctly, but it will need improving eventually.
I would and do prefer that getting rid of bugs is the main priority at this time.
ttrw  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:14:33 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:
I dont remember having similar problems with autocad as I see in viacad.

Well perhaps it some stupid input that you have to remember to type into the command line.

I really dislike ACAD, and there is no way that you can really compare ACAD to VC really. VC does so much more for so much less outlay.

Paul, you may like to look at QCad. I sometimes use dxf files outputted from QCad and bring them into VC. It works very well.
Steve.M  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:16:01 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
I just figured out that you only need to update once- then all entities stay the same (superfine).
I was looking at the option: "even distribution". I think such an option should be made via a global tick box regardless of the actual setting of fine / super fine etc.