logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:22:06 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Steve.M wrote:
I can understand that, and I know that display can be a large time consuming area to improve correctly, but it will need improving eventually.
I would and do prefer that getting rid of bugs is the main priority at this time.

Perhaps we should just relax a bit on the 'wanting' from Mr Olson? I know I'm terrible when it comes to new feature wants, but VC is really lighting my world up at present (can't wait to upgrade). I know that Rhino take ages with their beta's too. FWIW, as a Mac application, Rhino for OS X looks absolutely fantastic- it really puts all those other developers (bar Cheetah3D and perhaps Maxon C4D too?), who don't stick to 'standards' to shame.

rant over!

I totally agree with you on your second point too. :)
ttrw  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:23:15 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:
I was looking at the option: "even distribution". I think such an option should be made via a global tick box regardless of the actual setting of fine / super fine etc.

Good idea :)
Steve.M  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:27:51 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So an example of visual inaccuracy,

2 circles drawn, then a line from "on" one circle to "on" the other circle. Zooming in then should show the line connected to both circles.

I have changed the settings in viacad to "Super fine" and "even distribution" for both circles, and created the resolutions ini file to make super fine 0.5

Pic1 is the view in Viacad 788

Pic2 is the same view in Rhino.
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
01.jpg (30kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
02.jpg (22kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Steve.M  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:37:18 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
Perhaps we should just relax a bit on the 'wanting' from Mr Olson?
All I "want" is for the program to do as expected and according to the user manual. I know there appears to be a differance between the PC and Mac version so bugs in one do not always show in the other. But you do have to realise that new users only have 2 weeks to trial the product, and as they say "first impressions",..... and as with normal installation agreement (have not checked viacad) that the trial can only be installed once on specific hardware.

Now dont get me wrong, I purchased Viacad 2d3d even knowing bugs where present but that was to show support and to give feedback/ bug reports to try to help improve the product, not to make attacks/demands
ttrw  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:50:12 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:

Well yes, my heart is with you there- especially if somewhere along the line you need to extrude or whatever, and you can't because of the tiny line, and going looking for it is an exercise in extreme patience!!
Steve.M  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:56:48 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
Well yes, my heart is with you there- especially if somewhere along the line you need to extrude or whatever, and you can't because of the tiny line, and going looking for it is an exercise in extreme patience!!
You misinterpret.

That is only a visual problem, it just looks incorrect, the line is actually connecting correctly, so trimming/ extrusions etc can be done. It just looks bad, and can open up a need to start checking to see if it is a visual error or a construction error.
jdi000  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:01:37 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
>>>>>>>I dont remember having similar problems with autocad as I see in viacad.

I started with autocad (version2 I think) on a 386sx with co-pro. I could change resolution within the program and that was that. The main problem was the fact I had to give autocad a scale between the xy for the screen resolution so that a circle would look like a circle and not like an oval.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi, Steve

See attached files with acad vs ViaCAD. I don't see much difference between these programs.

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
ViaCADvsautocad.jpg (118kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
acadresolution.jpg (60kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
viacadv6resolution.jpg (58kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:03:11 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Steve.M wrote:
Just to add:-

If I zoom in to the area of question and then draw a line from the circle, you will see the "on" snap is not actually "on" the circle.
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
03.jpg (7kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

jdi000  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:10:17 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

>>>>>2 circles drawn, then a line from "on" one circle to "on" the other circle. Zooming in then should show the line connected to both circles.

Hi, Steve

When I draw as above I get lines touching. Did you change all the items to even distrubition before or after drawing?
See Pic

Jason
jdi000 attached the following image(s):
lineon2circles.jpg (63kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Windows 11, 10
ttrw  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:10:51 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Steve.M wrote:

Now dont get me wrong, I purchased Viacad 2d3d even knowing bugs where present but that was to show support and to give feedback/ bug reports to try to help improve the product, not to make attacks/demands

Fair enough. But I do know from experience that you can't always expect that 100%. Please don't take that the wrong way. I also do believe that the company CSI, have been struggling to cope over the past few years especially from competition such as Solidworks (who are an enormous company, with thousands of employees worldwide), UGS (equally huge), Autodesk (needs no explanation), even Ashlar and TurboCAD. So as a developer like Tim who has quietly kept his little operation just above water- well I think he deserves a medal- because as I said, there is nothing on Macintosh and OS X to touch this software, and now that a few more people are trading in their PC's for Mac's, we are seeing more demand for VC/S, and that's a great thing. Also what is important, is that Punch have now invested in Tim's project, and this is very good, because finally all those who are loyal owners of the software, are finally getting what they initially invested in.

I don't think a lot of you PC-based folks really realise how lucky you've got it, when it comes to CAD choice. It used to be very much the other way round, but sadly not any more. I refuse to go to Windows. Crazy as it may seem, but I'd rather sacrifice work, as I see it very much like cutting off my arms just to achieve simple operations!!

I'm curious to know what kind of work you do Steve? I've just graduated (at 41 years!), but I've just got a new job, where some CAD will be needed. Most of it though will involve writing technical reports!
ttrw  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:17:08 AM(UTC)
ttrw

jdi000 wrote:
>>>>>2 circles drawn, then a line from "on" one circle to "on" the other circle. Zooming in then should show the line connected to both circles.

When I draw as above I get lines touching. Did you change all the items to even distrubition before or after drawing?
See Pic

Interesting. Jason, how do you do that?
Steve.M  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:25:54 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

jdi000 wrote:
How do you change the "even distribution" of a circle before drawing it? What is the diameter of the circles? I was looking at a diameter of 250 or over (as mentioned by paul in his example on first post)

My current setting are now by default:

Curves: superfine.
Resolution.ini: Superfine to 0.5

I will play more with the settings to look for improvement
jdi000  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:37:15 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Steve
Draw order?
Circles drawn first change to even distrubition and then draw line, or draw circles, line and then change to even distrubition?

Jason
Windows 11, 10
jdi000  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:51:54 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Steve

With 250 diameter circles. I see what you mean that the line is not touching the circle. The gap at the furthest you can zoom in is about .00001"

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:00:58 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Quote:
With 250 diameter circles. I see what you mean that the line is not touching the circle.
Thanks for checking
ttrw  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:19:44 AM(UTC)
ttrw

jdi000 wrote:

Have you tried the custom resolution.ini file yet???? see post http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=1090

I've got the folder, but can any one tell me where the resolution.ini file is...or am I missing something? :o

(on Mac that is!)
Steve.M  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:16:36 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

ttrw wrote:
I've got the folder, but can any one tell me where the resolution.ini file is...or am I missing something? :o

(on Mac that is!)
I had to create the file (windows) probably the same on the mac?

- Steve
Tim Olson  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:38:45 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Thanks for all the feedback on visual resolution. Just to clarify, internally everything snaps to the actual geometry not the display geometry. But it frequently comes up so it would be great if we could come up with a solution.

Our display resolution is based on angular deviations. For a curve, its the angular deviation between connected vectors. For a surface it's the angular deviation of the surface normal to the facet normal. These angular values define the definitions for medium, very fine, super fine and are stored in the resolution.ini file.

The problem with just cranking it up is it directly impacts performance.

Ryan mentioned that AutoCAD solves the problem by having the user manually hit Regen as they zoom up and down.

Maybe we could use one of the background processors to automatically change on screen resolution based on zoom level?

Something else we've talked about is exposing a UI for the angular values associated with very fine, super fine etc.

Those of you using other packages and have some insight to how they may be solving this problem please jump in.

Thanks for all the feedback and appreciate any suggestions.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:51:42 PM(UTC)
jol

>> The problem with just cranking it up is it directly impacts performance.

We couldn't just crank it up solely for selected (or freshly created) line entities ?

(I think that's what Studio Tools does)
jol  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:00:08 PM(UTC)
jol

ie

turn 'even distribution' etc on temporarily

(or even by proximity whilst placing a new point ?)