logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steve.M  
#41 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 8:45:20 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
That was not stated, however, as this would be a minor change, I would of though it would be added to the V6 service pack.

But dont quote me on that.:D

- Steve
Steve.M  
#42 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 9:54:38 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

I have now found what is causing the problem. The curves are not planer (out of current limits).

I will put a mov together to show how to fix.

- Steve
Steve.M  
#43 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 10:30:53 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Hi Mlochala,

I have used the model you posted on thread "Skin 1 edited"

I forgot and used the shortcut key "ctrl+d (PC)" to show/hide the control points, so that is why you will see the control points on the curves appear and disappear.

This was the easiest way I could think of to make the curves planer, by using scale on the control points/curves to bring in to current limit.

EDIT:- NOTE: there is no need to un-group the profile before using the scale tool. Just select Dif scale, set the Y to 0.00000001 and select a point on the profiles.

http://dc161.4shared.com/downlo...903/make_profiles_planer.

- Steve
zumer  
#44 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 11:16:08 PM(UTC)
zumer

Would it be easier to extrude the profile as solid and pass a cut section through it, using the cut section to replace the profile?

Good catch, Steve. Did you pick the flaw with VC or Rhino?
Steve.M  
#45 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 11:37:02 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
Would it be easier to extrude the profile as solid and pass a cut section through it, using the cut section to replace the profile?

Good catch, Steve. Did you pick the flaw with VC or Rhino?

In VC.

It is actually easier to just use scale on the actual group profile. I was thinking there was a need to un_group, but there is not.

- Steve
mlochala  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:00:20 AM(UTC)
mlochala

Wow! Thanks!

A couple of questions: first, I did not know that you could use the Scale tool to make curves planar. I thought that was just for enlarging or shrinking. How does what you did force all the curves into one plane?

Secondly, I'm still not sure how these profiles got off from the start, and I'm more than a little concerned this will happen again. If I'm slicing a solid and then using the slices to produce profiles, shouldn't the resulting curves automatically be planar?

Thanks again! I'm really learning a lot here.
Steve.M  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:37:47 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: mlochala Go to Quoted Post
A couple of questions: first, I did not know that you could use the Scale tool to make curves planar. I thought that was just for enlarging or shrinking. How does what you did force all the curves into one plane?
A curve that is planer should have no thickness in that plane, so scaling the curve to a small size (within current tolerance needed for skin solid) will then allow the skin solid. You cannot enter 0 for the size, so you scale down to low tolerance, for this, currently 8 places.

Originally Posted by: mlochala Go to Quoted Post

Secondly, I'm still not sure how these profiles got off from the start, and I'm more than a little concerned this will happen again. If I'm slicing a solid and then using the slices to produce profiles, shouldn't the resulting curves automatically be planar?
Good question. It may be you moved a point at some time, or the slice was not planer, however, it is quite possible that the resulting curve from the slice was created with a larger tolerance on the plane than is allowed for the skin solid.

- Steve
jdi000  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:30:38 AM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Steve.M Go to Quoted Post
I have now found what is causing the problem. The curves are not planer (out of current limits).

I will put a mov together to show how to fix.

- Steve

Steve

This is what I meant in my first post that the y values were off at 5 decimal intersection points so points were not planer, but I was manually changing the points in object info I could not get the 1st profile point to line up by manually doing it..., Good idea to use the scale tool, I did not think of that at first...
Instead of scaling probably the best way to use the project curve tool and project the curve to an infinite plane user located.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Steve.M  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:04:51 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post
Steve

This is what I meant in my first post that the y values were off at 5 decimal intersection points so points were not planer,
For some reason I thought you where putting forward that the endpoints of the curves where not connected at intersections, sorry, my misunderstanding. The limits are not that tight in 833 for the skin solid. It appears changes have been made, although I still do not know the reason for the inconsistency between the same version when you could not cover surface on those end sections

Originally Posted by: jdi000 Go to Quoted Post

Instead of scaling probably the best way to use the project curve tool and project the curve to an infinite plane user located.
I did look at projecting to a Plane(did not try projecting to infinite plane) to check that earlier, but the resulting curve when used for the skin solid just made more error pop-ups in VC.

Regards

- Steve