logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Subligna  
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 9:16:50 AM(UTC)
Subligna

Thanks, Mitchb, Rokoko, and WaveMechanic! I learned a lot yesterday. I now have a BMP and a stencil in my image and stencil dropdowns. When I follow the procedure mitchb and darren advise I, using factor, I get a black square. When I use the stencil method I get nothing on the surface. My stencil has a red positive image and black background. My bmp has a black foreground and white background. I've tried applying it to a surface and to a solid. The decals supplied in viacad work fine. I think I must have a scaling issue, as suggested by Other Tim. Making progress, but still not there.
WaveMechanic  
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 9:45:04 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Subligna,

I will be attending to to Mothers day activities, so I'll be gone most of the day. However, just quickly, the black image could be because the image *is* mostly black. Thus, scaling could be a factor. Also, lighting could be a factor in photorealistic rendering. I still would like to be able to just map your logo to a simple solid surface and see that happen. It works easily for me in VC9 2D/3D. But with the rendering engine in PRO lighting comes into play. Could you map the texture just to a solid cube and play with the scaling to see if the white part shows up? Could you try to map a different texture and see if it shows up on a solid cube. Does it show up if using OpenGL rendering? Photorealistic rendering?

I know you are getting pulled in somewhat of a dual path here, so take the path that you see fit (or both). I would like to see the texture successfully mapped to a simple solid cube (see my previous post) with the right colors. I guess I'd just like to see some basics working first. But again, go where you think best.

I will check back later...

Edit: Try creating a decal with a simpler shape like a square or circle!

The Other Tim

Edited by user Sunday, May 10, 2015 10:00:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
ViaCAD 2D/3D and PRO V9 1184, Blender 2.49-2.78.
Win 7 SP1, Core I5, 64-bit, NVIDIA G105M
Tim Olson  
#23 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:03:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>I could not get the link Tim (Olson) posted to work for me. "404". Would be interesting to see the video.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/customLogo.mp4

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
WaveMechanic on 5/13/2015(UTC)
mitchb  
#24 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 1:06:15 PM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
WaveMechanic,

Mapping the texture to a surface did not work for me. I was unable to center the fire to the surface. Using the various controls I could get close but not acceptable. Tim's video is very interesting and I will give it a try. Adding a logo to a drawing should be fairly easy to do.

The comment about win is well taken. I don't know the win file structure, I avoid windows every chance I get. The win users will need to sort that out for themselves.

Mitch
WaveMechanic  
#25 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 7:11:03 PM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

OK...A picture may be worth 1,000 words, but a video may be worth well over 1,000,000. I just watched the video that Tim Olson (the "Real" Tim) posted earlier in this thread. He used a solid red image as the stencil, and gave a really great explanation of how to apply decals.

Set the red to full because the intensity of the red determines how much of your image will show through (according to my VIACAD manual). A value of 0 would block the entire logo. Full red lets it show through completely. Anywhere there is red color in the stencil, your logo should show through. Anywhere there is any color other than full red, your logo will either be completely blocked or at least attenuated.

One thing I also noticed in the video is that Tim is mapping to a completely flat solid. Are you doing the same?

In any case, the video is incredibly informative. Please watch it and try your logo/stencil just like in the video. Then maybe try it with a very simple, higher contrast image if your logo doesn't immediately work.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Sunday, May 10, 2015 7:59:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Error in text

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
WaveMechanic  
#26 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 8:21:27 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

mitchb,

I use "other" 3D CAD software that I think may be using the same or similar rendering engine as VIACAD. It works quite well, but I have noticed that when trying to UV map a texture, the input only allows integers and the image can sometimes end up "jumping around" the exact desired alignment point but never landing exactly on it. So I understand what you are saying. That's why I typically use Blender for final rendering of models (UV mapping functions). However, I have become very attached to VIACAD and I am currently considering an upgrade to PRO so I can photo-render within VIACAD...and maybe even make some tutorials on using the rendering engine.

Thank you and rokoko for jumping in on this thread. I hope to hear that Subligna has success soon.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Monday, May 11, 2015 9:16:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
Subligna  
#27 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 9:35:01 AM(UTC)
Subligna

I watched Tim Olson's video. Between everyone's comments, the user manual, and that video, I'm more and more convinced I'm following the right procedure. Also, my custom decal is not showing up in the user category of the decal dropdown. My ViaCAd app screen keeps filling up with random images from my desktop. The only test I have left is to try to apply a photograph, like Mitch's fire. If that also fails, I'll be pretty sure I have a corrupted install of ViaCAD. I'm on another project now, so I'll have to try it after work tonight. Thanks again to all for your persistence!
WaveMechanic  
#28 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 11:07:40 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

A corrupted install could certainly cause confusing problems. I am not using a MAC so I can't help much other than to suggest that if you created any directories/folders of your own in the install ("APP" on a MAC?) folder, I would remove them (i.e. I think you said that you created a "texture" folder of your own in the install/APP folder?). User created folders inside install (APP?) folders may be ignored by the program, or may possibly confuse the program if it reads them.

Yes..try another image/photograph, as you suggest, with dimensions (or resized) such that dimensions are an exact power of 2 (e.g. 256x256, 512x256, 512x512 etc.) Sometimes things map better that way. If it works, then try non ^2 dimensions.

Note also that in the video, Tim O. applied a predefined decal BEFORE he applied his custom decal (same as mitchb suggested in his post). I figure you already caught this, but it is a little subtle. Did you previously state that the predefined decals in your VIACAD do work?

I still hope you get this resolved. I'll continue to monitor this thread to check for additional posts or progress. With the help of rokoko, mitchb and Tim Olson, it does sound like you are doing things correctly, so perhaps you are correct that something else is amiss.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Monday, May 11, 2015 12:19:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Update.

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
Subligna  
#29 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 12:18:16 PM(UTC)
Subligna

Originally Posted by: WaveMechanic Go to Quoted Post
Subligna,

A corrupted install could certainly cause confusing problems. I am not using a MAC so I can't help much other than to suggest that if you created any directories/folders of your own in the install ("APP" on a MAC?) folder, I would remove them (i.e. I think you said that you created a "texture" folder of your own in the install/APP folder?).

I removed them.

User created folders inside install (APP?) folders may be ignored by the program, or may possibly confuse the program if it reads them.

Do try another image/photograph, as you suggest, with dimensions (or resized) such that dimensions are an exact power of 2 (e.g. 256x256, 512x512, etc).

Note also that in the video, Tim O. applied a predefined decal BEFORE he applied his custom decal (same as mitchb suggested in his post).

I did that, too. That's the only way you can get to the inspector.

Did you previously state that the predefined decals in VIACAD do work?

Yes, they work fine.

Thanks!

Hope you get this resolved. I'll still monitor this thread periodically to check for additional posts or progress. With the help of rokoko, mitchb and Tim Olson, it does sound like you are doing things correctly, so perhaps you are correct that something else is amiss.

The Other Tim

Tim Olson  
#30 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 3:17:57 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>my custom decal is not showing up in the user category of the decal dropdown.

What build number do you have of ViaCAD?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Subligna  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:20:03 AM(UTC)
Subligna

V9.0.4 build 1154 ViaCAD Pro
WaveMechanic  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:43:09 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

I upgraded to VC9 PRO yesterday (v9.0.0 Build 1109), so I tried a custom decal myself. Here is what I did:

1) Created a custom red stencil and fake logo in Paint Shop Pro. Saved as .jpg. Both files same
dimensions.
2) Copy and pasted the above files to the following directory (remember I am on WIN 7, not MAC):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Punch! Software\ViaCAD Pro 9\PhotoRender\Textures

3) Opened VC9 PRO and created 2 solids and a surface.
4) Applied a pre-defined decal from VC9 PRO.
5) Used Inspector to resize the decal to fit the objects.
6) Used Inspector to apply my custom stencil and logo image.
7) Rendered the result, and it did work for me. See attached images.

I found the process worked easily on the solids and surfaces. I could NOT, however, get this procedure to work with a mesh. The decal would not adhere to the mesh. It kept jumping to the origin of the grid. I take it you are mapping to a solid or surface?

My custom decals do NOT show up in my Decals library. It looks like I can only access them from the dropdown boxes in the Inspector.

Worked pretty much just like rokoko, mitchb and Tim O recommended.

I don't know if you are still interested in this thread, but I posted my results anyway in case it might help you or somebody else.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:49:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WaveMechanic attached the following image(s):
Logo.jpg (23kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
0tt_Logo.jpg (26kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
0tt_Logo_Sten.jpg (13kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
Subligna  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:13:09 AM(UTC)
Subligna

Thanks, Other Tim! That strongly suggests its a build issue. I used the same procedure as you but didn't get the results you did.

Edit: Actually, no. I saved mine as .bmp. Maybe I'll try saving as .jpg.

I've asked Tim and tech support for their advice re: re-installing a build in which the decal function works.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:17:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: correction

WaveMechanic  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:39:20 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

I tried both .jpg and .bmp. Both worked. I found the following as well (remember I am on WIN 7):

1) My custom STENCIL and the IMAGE files must reside in the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Punch! Software\ViaCAD Pro 9\PhotoRender\Textures

2) The Decal Library does not allow me to directly import images or stencils through VC9 PRO. I had to manually copy them to the desired program directory above (contrary to what I stated in a previous post).

3) I tried the same procedure by placing the stencil and image in the VIACAD (WIN 7) "user" directories:

C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Punch!\ViaCAD Pro\PhotoRender\Textures

and;

C:\Users\Tim\Documents\Punch!\ViaCAD Pro\PhotoRender\Decals

The stencil and image would not show-up in the Inspector or the Decal Library. Thus, the "User" directories did not work for me. I hate messing with program directories directly (as in item 1 above), but it was the only way I could make this work. It seems that my VC9 PRO does not read the user directories (at least for decals) when I launch it.

4) The decals do not show-up in the Decal Library no matter where I put them. I have Inspector dropdown box access only.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:00:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarify text.

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
Subligna  
#35 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:37:14 PM(UTC)
Subligna

Success! I tried a generic .bmp photo. It worked in the factor mode. Then I tried my logo as a .jpg. It also worked in the factor mode. I still have no clue why ViaCAD didn't like my logo as a .bmp. Thanks to all for the help!
WaveMechanic  
#36 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2015 5:18:31 PM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

FANTASTIC! It had to happen! Post again if more questions, but for now HURRAY!

The Other Tim
Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
mitchb  
#37 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 2:43:41 AM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Subligna,

Great, glad to hear of your success.

WaveMechanic,

When you right click in the Render Library window and select "Create from image file" The file is placed into the Materials folder with a thumbnail in the CSI folder. It also appears in the Render Library displayed as a cube rather then a sphere. When using this material you may need to visit the Texture Space option to select which surface you want displayed on your object.

My custom decal also appears in the decal -> User folder, however it doesn't show up in the Photo Render Library/Decals.

I can understand your reluctance to mess around in system files, and generally it's not a good idea. However, the user manual does say to place/alter files. It says you may add textures to the texture folder, custom lines, create custom materials, and custom BOMs to name a few. Tim's book also has some tips requiring system file work. Startup.dat file is one you will love. Tim's book is a good read, if you have any interest at all in using this program get a copy.

Mitch
mitchb attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 1.png (152kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Screen Shot 2.png (173kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
WaveMechanic  
#38 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2015 6:42:06 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

mitchb,

In response to your first paragraph...yes. That is how mine works. If I create a custom material, it does show-up I the Render Library. I have indeed found where the images are stored. I like how the materials work because I don't have to mess around in program directories.

Just like you, my custom decal doesn't show up in the Photo Render Library/Decals.

I am using ViaCAD PRO V9 almost daily now. I may check out Tim O's book, but so far I have been able to get VC9 Pro to do everything I want. I do a lot of photorealistic rendering so I spend a LOT of time working materials and mapping them. In general, I find ViaCAD to be very intuitive. I have also been using Blender since V2.49, which is quite not as intuitive as ViaCAD but very powerful...especially for UV mapping...(if you want to take the time to learn how it works). I now use ViaCAD in conjunction with Blender 2.74 and find them to be a mighty powerful pair.

Thanks for the additional input and Happy Modeling!

The Other Tim

Edited by user Friday, May 15, 2015 6:51:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)