logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dansker  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2012 2:09:34 PM(UTC)
Dansker

Kind of a weak question - but im struggling to place a bmp image to one side of a cube. or flat on the end of a cylinder.?

Using ViaCAD pro7

Seems there should be a simple click for custom surface texture - select appropriate files from computer.?

Bo
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:55:10 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Dansker,

I don't usually perform such tasks, but it is supposedly possible to deep select a particular face of a solid or surface shape and change the color individually for that face. I don't know if decals/textures/materials can be applied, but IIRC, I may have seen a few screenshots last year supporting that.

Failing that, until someone replies, you may want to (as a temporary measure), extract or even replace the face in question, then add the image to it, and translate/move it to where you want. I know it's more geometry and overhead, but it might work.

Hopefully, Tim or some seasoned users will assist and make my suggestions obsolete.
Darren  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2012 6:20:06 PM(UTC)
Darren

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Dansker Go to Quoted Post
Kind of a weak question - but im struggling to place a bmp image to one side of a cube. or flat on the end of a cylinder.?

Using ViaCAD pro7

Seems there should be a simple click for custom surface texture - select appropriate files from computer.?

Bo

Hi Bo,
The easiest way to apply an image to one face of a cube is to use a decal.

First, before launching ViaCAD Pro, place your .bmp in, Applications, Viacad Pro, Photorender, Textures folder.

Change your cube to surfaces, so you won't have to make a mask so the image doesn't go through your cube. Make a copy of the solid first
(if needed).

Place any decal on the desired face of the cube, check apply normal in the corner of the render library palette. Go to your inspector Size your decal to the size of the cube face it's being applied to (if needed).

Change the masking field to factor, slide the factor slider all the way to the right.

Keep the logo field set to image.

For the image field, browse for your .bmp file that you placed in the texture folder.

Hit apply and test render.

I noticed in the inspector that there was not a "browse" option in the image drop down menu, that would make this operation a little easier, flexible.

Darren
ViaCAD Pro 7 Demo
Darren attached the following image(s):
UserImage.png (97kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ZeroLengthCurve  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:03:01 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 24 post(s)
OK....

I'm at a loss. I want to apply either a decal or a logo or a projection of either or a projection of text.

I added a jpg and a bmp version of a logo to the shark, photorender,textures path as well as drilling down via the palette. I only end up with bands of the blue and white in the logo, but not the logo itself which has readable text.

Prior to that, i imported the jpg and rotated it to try to project it onto a corrugated surface (shipping container). There is no way to project the image onto the container.

It would be neat if an imported object can be a pass-through or reflection source without committing CPU resources to applying a decal/material to an entire surface. I just want to burn in the image or link it by position onto the corrugated surface and have the letters ripple.

Prior to that, I manually created the name of a ship and sized it accordingly. The problem with that approach is that if there are multiple ships to name, then each one needs to be typed (not the problem) and then each has to be positioned, extruded through, and chopped off. THAT part begins the problem. If it were only a projection of the letters, it would be very simple. But, in this case, I want thickness to simulate bead welding of a name on a steel hull. The problem that continues from this is that the underlying surface is not ideal. It originates from either a mesh, or from curves that imported into VCP/Shark. Converting the mesh to surfaces, then the surfaces to curves yields curves that are faithful to the original mesh. But, I need to turn them to interpolated splines, to smooth them out.

Unfortunately, there are a number of control points that cannot be joined and eliminated through a process of making least-curves-bsplines.

It would be nice if Shark and VCP could make least-curves-bsplines so that only two control points in a spline or curve exist (it is definitely doable in PolyCAD (free), by Marcus Bole, and I may end up having to export parts of the work to there and then edit and reimport to VCP or Shark).

Without those lattices/vertices mucking up the picture, I could then create the sideshell I need, and onto it I could project the name, then use one, smooth, compound-curved surface or solid to split the back and front faces of letters and then offset the remainder and then fill in gaps as if they were welded.

However, the real problem is that even though text can be projected after filling in the non-holed parts, they cannot be edited (change the name or stenciling) and made to "re-heal" themselves. People who make model guns, or other devices and need to add serial numbers have a tough time in many cases, but few if any CAD companies seem interested in the matter.

It would be cool if one could create the name, project it, resize it or change fonts, offset it with perfect tangency/contact, and colorize it. Often, i never care about rendering. I already like what I have in the non-render modes -- especially since rendering is "slow" to me disrupts interactivity.

For now, however, I'll probably stick with projecting the name and trying to thicken that, but I hope the "throw" direction and angle are correct, since in the case of a ship bow panel, there is compound curvature, sometimes just two angles, but the writing may not be at 0 or 90 degrees to ground/sea.

Cheers!
Subligna  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 7:30:05 AM(UTC)
Subligna

I'm trying to make and apply a custom decal using ViaCAD Pro 9 on a Mac running 10.10.3. I found a ViaCAD folder in the "library" you get to through the finder/go menu. I was hoping it would have a textures folder, but all it had is a decals folder. I put my .bmp of the custom decal there and followed the advice in this thread, but my decal didn't show up in the image list. I've looked everywhere for a textures folder, but can't find one. I'd appreciate any help.
WaveMechanic  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:23:09 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Subligna,

I don't think VIACAD 2D/3D will recognize a .bmp file directly copied into a library...that's why it doesn't show up in the list. You may need to import the .bmp image to VIACAD using VIACAD.

I open my "Render Library" window and right-click in the window where the textures are displayed. It then allows me to import and create a new texture from a .bmp, .jpg etc.

VIACAD 2D/3D textures use ".pti" and ".ptx" extensions internally, so you should import as discussed above and then your new texture should show-up. If you just put a .bmp file into the Texture directory (wherever it may be located), VIACAD may not recognize it. Again, try importing the texture using VIACAD as described above.

I'm using VC9 2D/3D on WIN 7 (i.e. not MAC), but I think the program functionality is not going to be much different.

You can apply textures to one face of a cube by using the "Apply Normal" option.

Let me know...if the above doesn't work, we can dig a bit deeper.

Edit for Clarification: VIACAD 2D/3D V9 and VIACAD PRO V9 texture files are considerably different from each other. VIACAD PRO V9 does not appear to use the ".pti" or ".ptx" files I mentioned above so please be careful not to get confused.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:44:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarify text. Correct errors for future readers.

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
ViaCAD 2D/3D and PRO V9 1184, Blender 2.49-2.78.
Win 7 SP1, Core I5, 64-bit, NVIDIA G105M
WaveMechanic  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 9:37:20 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

FYI, according to my VC9 manual, textures on a MAC are stored in directory:

Textures/Content/Resources/PhotoRender/Textures

If you are trying to apply the image as an actual decal, the process in my previous post may need to be modified somewhat. My previous post is based on trying to get a texture into the texture library. It looked to me like you were trying to get a .bmp into the texture library so that VIACAD would recognize it.

Anyway, let me know and we can try to go further if needed.

The Other Tim
Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
Subligna  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 10:33:23 AM(UTC)
Subligna

Thanks so much for your help, Other Tim. I imported the .bmp into the file and looked for it on the decal / image drop down on the inspector. It was not there. It also didn't show up in the general model space. I right clicked on the render library / materials window and added my bmp into the misc. category. It showed up in photo render/materials. It showed up as an icon on the misc. list. The icon was solid black. When I dragged it to the face on my solid and rendered, it rendered the solid as black all over. The bmp is a logo. I'm trying to apply it as a decal. I need to add it to the decal list. I am having trouble figuring out how to do that. I would expect that you could right click on the decal window in the render library and do a similar process as for materials, but you can't. Any thoughts?
WaveMechanic  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 11:21:04 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

First, if anyone knows a simple way to just slap-in a user-defined decal, please feel free to chime in.

It seems like what you suggest in your last sentence should work, according to the manual. So something else is goofy. Let's keep trying...

We took perhaps one step in the right direction to import a texture/material. It appears that the texture is now in the library, but it is black. I suspect that VIACAD 9 may be using the Lightworks photorealistic engine, with which I am familiar. If so, (or perhaps even if it is a different engine), we will likely have to go into the advanced editing features to let the engine know that the image is a decal (Shader Classes). I think I can still help, even though I'm at a slight disadvantage in that I am not running the PRO version and therefore I don't have the "decal" option. But I have used Lightworks in other software. We can step through it. So...

1) Could you post a small image of the logo (or something similar if proprietary) so I can see what it looks like? This will help me determine how to get it to show up.

2) By small, I think about 256 x 256, 256 x 128 (or whatever) pixels should be big enough for me to see what might be going-on. The image does not have to be very large.

3) One thing to try is to make sure your image size is a multiple of 8. I don't think this is the fix, but it might be worth a try because of the way OpenGL works.

I have been directed by someone of the highest personage (i.e. my wife) to go outside and take care of some yardwork, so I'll be out for a little bit. But when I get back in I will look at your image to see what we can do next.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Saturday, May 9, 2015 12:12:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarifications

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
rokoko  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 12:52:02 PM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
hi,

the textures folder on mac can be found here:
/Applications/ViaCAD Pro PowerPack.app/Contents/Resources/PhotoRender

i think for a custom decal you need to add 2 custom files: a stencil file (mask) and an image file, see example fotos

when you then drag an arbitrary decal from render library to your object you can specify in inspector the mask and the image of your decal.

hth

regards
rokoko attached the following image(s):
aut_horn_stencil.bmp (257kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
AUT_HORN.BMP (257kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
decal.png (75kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
thanks 1 user thanked rokoko for this useful post.
WaveMechanic on 5/13/2015(UTC)
WaveMechanic  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:01:48 PM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

rokoko,

Sweet! I'm not sure if Subligna has the "Powerpack" though, if it's not standard with the PRO version. Probably does not matter for how to import the decal, but the directory path might be different. Anyway, now that I can see the full Inspector window options for Decals (thanks to your images), what you are suggesting sure looks right.

My next step was going to be to fix the "all black" image that was imported.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:16:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
Subligna  
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:10:49 PM(UTC)
Subligna

Originally Posted by: rokoko Go to Quoted Post
hi,

the textures folder on mac can be found here:
/Applications/ViaCAD Pro PowerPack.app/Contents/Resources/PhotoRender

My path seems to be users/[user]/library/application support/com.encore.viacadprov9esd/photorender. Below that are only a decal folder and a materials folder. I tried adding a textures folder and putting my BMP in that, but it didn't work. I don't know how to go deeper into the file structure than viaCADpro.app without simply opening the app. Can you tell me?

i think for a custom decal you need to add 2 custom files: a stencil file (mask) and an image file, see example fotos

when you then drag an arbitrary decal from render library to your object you can specify in inspector the mask and the image of your decal.

This looks promising. I'll try it.

Thanks!

hth

regards

Subligna  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:16:54 PM(UTC)
Subligna

Here's a 256 x 192 version of the bmp. I tried putting it in my materials and decal folders, and in a texture folder I created. Still no luck.

I'll try rokoko's 2-file suggestion next. Thanks!
Subligna attached the following image(s):
256 tautline tiedowns no bkgrnd.bmp (193kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

WaveMechanic  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:31:52 PM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

I just read your post to rokoko. You stated that you tried to add a "textures" directory. I don't think VIACAD will recognize any directories added by users. I think your files MUST end-up in existing VICAD directories only (i.e. the existing Decals directory). rokoko confirm?

Cool looking logo. I hope rokoko's suggestion works for you. If not, post again if you want to try some other things. I will say that I think the reason the texture looks black when you apply it is because of how the image is mapping to the surface. I think the white part is mapping too big or too small so the scaling may have to be adjusted. The image *is* mostly black. Texture mapping (i.e. UV mapping) can be complex. Anyway, let's see if rokoko's solution works for you...

The Other Tim

Edited by user Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:46:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarify text

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
rokoko  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:38:44 PM(UTC)
rokoko

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 45 post(s)
hi,

you can go "inside" your application directory by right click on the application file and choose "show package contents"

no need to add directories. inside the "package" you can find the rest of the path (on mac)

Edited by user Saturday, May 9, 2015 1:43:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

viacad pro 10 powerpackpro, viacad pro 9 german, mac
Subligna  
#16 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 2:01:37 PM(UTC)
Subligna

Thanks to both of you! I found the files using rokoko's advice and am working on the stencil now. I'll let you know how it works out.
Tim Olson  
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 3:34:45 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
I made a video regarding this for another user. I need to post this on masterviacad.com.

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/videos/customLogo.mp4

A bit overly complicated as I watch it over...

Tim

Edited by user Saturday, May 9, 2015 7:56:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
WaveMechanic  
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:44:20 PM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

Subligna,

Hope this won't be needed, but if the decal thing does not work-out, we could still maybe cheat by just mapping a texture to one face of your object (perhaps with transparency). See attached image.

I could not get the link Tim (Olson) posted to work for me. "404". Would be interesting to see the video.

The Other Tim

WaveMechanic attached the following image(s):
LogoTest.jpg (18kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)
mitchb  
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 11:37:41 PM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I wanted to add a fire image to my fireplace, using the decal feature was the way I did it. I would like to think there is a more direct path to accomplish this, perhaps Tim could help out here.

Start by putting your logo file in the PhotoRender- > Texture folder. In my case it"s "Fireplace.jpg", bmp files will also work. Go to your surface and place a decal on it, any decal doesn't mater which one. Select the decal and replace it with yours using the image dropdown in the Data tab and of course Apply.
/Users/mitchb/Documents/Screen Shot 4.png/Users/mitchb/Documents/Screen Shot 5.png
mitchb attached the following image(s):
Screen Shot 4.png (50kb) downloaded 12 time(s).
Screen Shot 5.png (201kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked mitchb for this useful post.
WaveMechanic on 5/13/2015(UTC)
WaveMechanic  
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 7:36:10 AM(UTC)
WaveMechanic

Man
United States

mitchb,

I want to be careful not to branch this thread too far until Subligna's problem is solved. However...

1) Your info on how you applied your decal should be useful to others. Good input! (From info earlier in this thread, however, MAC directory paths appear to be a bit different than WIN directory paths.)

2) Since you asked about alternate methods to apply the fire texture to your fireplace without a decal, one option would be to create a very thin solid rectangle, inset it slightly into your fireplace, import your fire texture to materials library through VIACAD, apply it to the front face of your solid rectangle, rotate and scale as needed. Or...just map the imported fire texture directly to the front face of the fireplace (if it is separate from the wall). In either case, no decal needed. Some people seem to be having trouble mapping textures/materials to single faces. In my VC9 2D/3D, it works easily. Don't know what's going-on with that.

Hopefully, Subligna will soon report success of his application of a decal as well.

The Other Tim

Edited by user Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:18:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

Tim (NOT Tim Olson)