logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ttrw  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 4:11:38 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nice video Tom :)

Shame though that pro/e is so complicated. I could have done what he's doing in SW's in a fraction of the time.....which brings me on to my efforts in VC.

This was my attempt to create a bend, but as you see, the bend has also caused the part of the sheet that I didn't want to bend, to ahem, bend- contradicting the object of the exercise (see attachment).
ttrw  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 4:22:15 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Paul;

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12...-simpsons-mocks-m-apple/

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zumer, thanks for the apology. I appreciate it :)
blowlamp  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 5:32:48 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

ttrw.
I've bent the other end of your sheet using the other bend tool. It's different, but I don't know if it's what you're after.

All the best.
Martin.
File Attachment(s):
bend2.vc3 (52kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ttrw  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 6:59:22 AM(UTC)
ttrw

It's good!

To be honest, I've spent many hours swearing at the bend tool, just trying to get it either to bend the selected face, or bend in the right direction!!

It's got to be easier than that? Tim? Nick??
unique  
#25 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 8:11:22 AM(UTC)
unique

Originally Posted by: ttrw Go to Quoted Post
It's good!

To be honest, I've spent many hours swearing at the bend tool, just trying to get it either to bend the selected face, or bend in the right direction!!

Tom,

Why dont you put up an 'avi' of what you are looking to do using Solidworks then somebody can help you re: VC or Shark (I do this with Rhino when trying to get my point across.....much much easier)
ttrw  
#26 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 9:13:51 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Paul, it's a nice suggestion, but there's really not any point, because the designs are mostly done now (or more to the point I am at home and the SW's PC is at work, and my 'copy' of SW's on this Mac is kaput and refuses to boot up because of some file in Windows has become corrupt etc- which means I'm going to have to reinstall windows (again)).

I don't know about you guys, but CAD is only 1% of my job and because of the joys of parametric modelling in Solidworks, VC rarely gets used these days (hence me not really contributing to the beta testing much lately either). I'd say 20% is writing reports and another 40% involves sitting in an anechoic chamber blasting Measured Length Sequences though an FFT analyser and Oscilloscope, and then further analysing the data in MATLAB. The other 30% is dedicated to doing sketch models, or working with the factories and representatives who manufacture parts for our company's products.

The remaining 9%? Secretarial duties and continually brewing up copious amounts of coffee!

I think Jol once described SW's as very 'step-minded' (or something similar), and designing ceiling tiles is as uncreative as it gets- remember these things are up there, not to be seen! Having a system that goes "click-click, there done" is very useful- a bit like my Mac workflow, so I spend less time on computers and more doing other things. Windows I find rather counter-productive, I'm always having to run virus checks or cleaning out the damn regestry- things that I don't have to worry about on Apple products at all. In fact my boss was amazed that I never have to do this, he spends hours each week getting his PC to be stable. Why does anyone have put up with that?

BTW, I've got the flu at the moment- so I have an excuse to lounge in front of my computer chatting away, at least for now. ;)

Tom
unique  
#27 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 9:46:35 AM(UTC)
unique

Quote:
Paul, it's a nice suggestion, but there's really not any point, because the designs are mostly done now (or more to the point I am at home and the SW's PC is at work, and my 'copy' of SW's on this Mac is kaput and refuses to boot up because of some file in Windows has become corrupt etc- which means I'm going to have to reinstall windows (again)).

Thought you would say that.......how the hell do you expect anything to get fixed or added if you cant put forward about your personal experience. It's not good to moan about the fact that Shark doesnt have "sheet metal" capabilities when you can't be bothered to show them examples ??

I do think Jol had a great idea when he said about having a lounge on this forum, that way all this non productive chit chat can be held there instead of the Solid Modeling area & wandering OT :rolleyes:
tmay  
#28 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 10:21:18 AM(UTC)
tmay

Nice video Tom :)

Shame though that pro/e is so complicated. I could have done what he's doing in SW's in a fraction of the time.....which brings me on to my efforts in VC.

Not to second guess your skillz, but the fellow demoed that project in less than 10 minutes, and without compromising the parametric functionality. Pretty fast I think.

Pro/e has mostly shifted to a pallette style similar in concept to SW (though some of the modules still retain the old menu system) so I would argue that there probably isn't any performance penalty to one over the other albeit Solidworks is quite a bit easier to learn.

One thing that you will notice in the demo, is that he was using a 3D connexion device; a must have for Shark as well.

the other tom
ttrw  
#29 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 12:25:00 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
Not to second guess your skillz, but the fellow demoed that project in less than 10 minutes, and without compromising the parametric functionality. Pretty fast I think.

Yes- that was fast, I agree. But I bet that the bloke who made that had much experience too. We were really impressed with SpaceClaim when it was demoed here- it's like "Sketch-up on steroids" (a description that has been mentioned before elsewhere on the net).

I like that in software. All software should be as easy to use as is possible. I remember using pro/e in my first year at university- I hated it!
ttrw  
#30 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 12:44:15 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: tmay Go to Quoted Post
Solidworks is quite a bit easier to learn.

I think that was helped by the excellent tutor SW's has built into it (the 'Online tutorial'?). But even SW's foxed the hell out of me to start with. I was trying to draw with it as if it were photoshop or something- ala layers.

Yes SW's is good- but at 6000 a pop, it should be!!!

You've probably guessed, I have a love/hate relationship with CAD. Most packages insist that they are easy to use, but this ease of use is largely dictated to us by the developers, and by the fans. There are undoubtedly people out there who don't get Macs, I am a self-confessed Mac fanboy- and at 42 years of age too- probably less 'boy', more 'man' :D

And yes Paul, although I find your Mancurian tone rather aggressive at the best of times ("mate"), I wholeheartedly agree with Jol's idea of a 'lounge'. It would be a good place to hang. :)

Originally Posted by: unique Go to Quoted Post
It's not good to moan about the fact that Shark doesnt have "sheet metal" capabilities when you can't be bothered to show them examples ??

Actually Paul, it's a little more complicated than that. It states clearly in my contract that I am liable to prosecution and dismissal if I am to publish any work that I do which is in progress for the company. I'm a little surprised that you haven't already guessed that, being a key player in a family business? Anyway, what was wrong with the file that I uploaded earlier?
tmay  
#31 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 1:16:29 PM(UTC)
tmay

Yes- that was fast, I agree. But I bet that the bloke who made that had much experience too. We were really impressed with SpaceClaim when it was demoed here- it's like "Sketch-up on steroids" (a description that has been mentioned before elsewhere on the net).

I like that in software. All software should be as easy to use as is possible. I remember using pro/e in my first year at university- I hated it!

I have all (three) of my feet firmly in Shark, Pro/e and SW camps, but for just blasting out something without worry about rebuild errors, Shark is hard to beat, especially on the Mac. I can import a Shark model into Pro/e or SW without issue (sans parametrics), and Wildfire 5.0 opens native SW 2008 files, and SW opens WF 4.0 files. If Shark could open and export native SW files (and Spatial Technology has this capability), then Shark could be a real workhorse.

Interestingly, SpaceClaim, NX/SE, and CoCreate are all pushing an interface without the rigidity of traditional parametric modelers. PTC owns CoCreate, so I would expect quite a bit of that technology to migrate to Wildfire given time (ISDX is pretty much there already for surfaces). I'm assuming that Dassault has something to add to CATIA and SW in the future.

The only issue that I have with SpaceClaim is too little/too late, and I just don't see them as more than a niche player.

the other tom
ttrw  
#32 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 6:00:39 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Here you go Norbert (Mac and PC too!);

http://sketchuptips.blogspot.co.../08/plugin-unfoldrb.html

I know that VC will open up in SU too.

It's worth looking at this whole site. There are some fabulous plugins here. I also recommend OhYeahCAD;

http://www.ohyeahcad.com/download/index.php

SU Podium is a really nice renderer I think.

You gotta love Google Sketchup eh? :cool:
blowlamp  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 5:23:58 AM(UTC)
blowlamp

It's good!

ttrw.
I Can't tell from your reply whether it worked.

Martin.
ttrw  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 8:27:50 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hi Martin.

I think you misunderstood me. The example I uploaded here wasn't done with the bend tool I don't think. It was done rather a long while back (6 weeks or so)- therefore I can't remember.

Your example was good. But did you use the bend tool? I found that the type of shape I was trying to bend, failed to bend properly, as the 'metal' on the opposite side of the tear, was also bending too (see pic).

If anyone can shed light on how the bend tool works, I would be very grateful. I can't seem to get it to behave logically at all.
ttrw attached the following image(s):
screenshot 02.png (14kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

NickB  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 1:18:40 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tom,
The result you show is exactly what I would expect from Shark as it has no way of de-limiting areas that are not to be bent, and instead bends the whole part.

To achieve what you want you would need to make the part out of two solids that were boolean'ed together after you had made the bend in the first part.
NickB attached the following image(s):
screenshot_02.jpg (69kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 4:22:01 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Interesting. Thanks Nick :)

Incidentally, I did actually try this method you described as a possible workaround, but then decided not to pursue it any further, probably through want of wanting VC to behave again like SW's. Why? I don't know. Probably because I think when one gets used to a certain way of doing things, like Jol has pointed out before, it's as hard as hell to move to another (ie VC's)- later on.

Funny actually, because doing it this way is also the way one would do it in SpaceClaim- kind of.
ttrw  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:16:23 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Nick, I went back to that previous boolean subtraction idea, and worked at the bend tool a little more (you obviously cant be sloppy at all in VC!!). It seemed to work quite well. Shame though it couldn't be flatened.

Tim, a flatten tool?
File Attachment(s):
sheet metal experiment 2.vc3 (148kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

NickB  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, December 2, 2008 10:56:47 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tom,
Unfolding is a completely different story, wasn't that the point of this topic ?

VC / Shark needs an unfold tool to compliment the fold tool. The two have different uses and it doesn't follow that if you fold you will unfold or vice versa.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:33:47 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
Tom,
Unfolding is a completely different story, wasn't that the point of this topic ?

Yes Sorry (for hijacking the thread!)

What did people think of the Sketchup plug-in?

Originally Posted by: NickB Go to Quoted Post
VC / Shark needs an unfold tool to compliment the fold tool. The two have different uses and it doesn't follow that if you fold you will unfold or vice versa.

I'll second that. But I get the feeling it won't happen- not for a while anyway. :(

PS, here's my VC file again, for those who are still on CU4 :)
File Attachment(s):
sheet metal experiment 2cuv4.vc3 (144kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

unique  
#40 Posted : Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:48:10 PM(UTC)
unique

Hi Tom (ttrw)

Is your metal part supposed to sit flat, only one face seems to be a bit off. I mean one face looks like it has been bent from a different crease line?

I would agree with NickB that a Flatten/Unfold command should also be available in the Shark software.....and hopefully VC :p