logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jolyon  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 7:10:32 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Whilst the LightWork renderer in Shark is very useful - it's certainly not fantastic or easy to use. (here is the somewhat dated stuff that I've done with it over the years http://www.industrialart...vices/visualisation.html)

KeyShot seems to be the recommended external renderer - indeed with a live link from Shark, but it's quite expensive and supposedly pretty limited as it's essentially a bunch of studio presets !?

Blender is free and very very powerful - but it's got more buttons than Cadbury and who wants that, unless rendering is your sole and primary focus

Daz 3D has a free 3D element, but having downloaded it and realised it's focus is mostly 'rendering women' and getting you to sign up for more stuff, I find myself distrusting it

Maxwell render is amazing, but horribly slow and very complicated

And so it goes on

There are lots of others - I just wonder what design folk here are migrating to given that the internal renderer doesn't appear to be developing much

Jol
Claus  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:32:24 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I used Maxwell and had several machines doing network renders every night. I had licence issues for months and the software was quite buggy. Add to that quite unfair upgrade policies and rather offensive forum moderators. I switched to Keyshot which changed my life, it spits out preview renders in seconds and I save those for final presentations. I don’t know what the limitations are but I don’t see anything you do in Maxwell that you can’t do in Keyshot. However Keyshot have some easy setups that magically makes your products look great every time. It’s expensive but worth every penny.

I don’t have other experience, I found my perfect solution and stopped looking. I find the internal Shark render horrible and I would never spend a second trying to do anything with it. It’s honestly embarrasing in an otherwise quite effective application.

Claus
Tim Olson  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 10:54:55 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>KeyShot seems to be the recommended external renderer - indeed with a live link from Shark, but it's quite expensive and supposedly pretty limited as it's essentially a bunch of studio presets !?

I really enjoy KeyShot, it produces some amazing results quickly but understand the cost comment.

I have been pushing the KeyShot for ViaCAD/Shark license. This is much lower cost version (1/4). This is lower because it is limited to use with ViaCAD/Shark and does not include their CAD translators.

I'll bring it up again to the Encore guys as a possible add-on.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
digitalphaser  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:16:52 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
KeyShot plug-in is a good alternative to expensive software. Many VC/Shark users will be happy to receive it. Unfortunately, the imported in VC/Shark 3D data is losing the UV mapping. It is bad news for visualizers. For realistic visualization, we often have to use adiitional textured objects(plants, relief soils, stones, upholstered furniture, organic objects etc...). After importing into Shark, they lose texture coordinates.It would be not bad somehow to solve this problem. :)
digitalphaser  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:24:01 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

A good alternative to KeyShot, I think, is a SimLab Composer. It is not expensive, easy to use and gives good results. There is a free version.

But KeyShot is without doubt a much more powerful and convenient application. The price corresponds to the features that it has.
Jolyon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:39:37 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Thanks everybody - I am getting nowhere with Blender (too complex for my needs) and the internal renderer is limited.

I will wait and see what Tim can come up with regarding KeyShot : )

Claus  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:26:42 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

I think turning a cad application into a complete render package would be pointless, composing a complicated scene is better done in a dedicated package. However updating the software with a modern realtime render engine is much needed, for reviewing models as you design them or for photo realistic visualisation. One thing needed is a revision of the perspective view setup.
thanks 1 user thanked Claus for this useful post.
posh.de on 3/20/2018(UTC)
Claus  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:16:19 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Just came to think about Fusion 360's internal render module, it is free to use if your turnover is below a certain amount. You can import STEP files from Shark.
murray  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:31:24 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
A company called Geometric, who nowadays concentrate on Glovius and Babel3D viewer and translator, developed a program called 3D Paintbrush, it was intended to provided drag-and-drop materials and shaders, near-photoreal real-time rendering. Geometric abandoned the development of it, but they're happy to provide the program for free. Another abandoned project that had potential was 4Dblue, a modelling, staging and rendering program. I liked it because it was quite fast, you can write the shaders and materials yourself and it paid more attention to sub-surface scattering for translucent materials than any other renderer that I've tried. AMD and Intel are providing increasingly sophisticated GPUs with their CPUs, and they're preoccupied with gaming, so getting best possible rendering dynamically. I think that CAD and design programs are eventually going to benefit most from that development stream, and from so-called "augmented reality", where you can point your phone's camera at the contextual surroundings that your design is intended for, the model is viewed there on the phone's screen and you can take a screen shot of the model in situ.
Personally, I model thinking about the geometry and leave the finishes and staging to after that's completed. I can count the number of times I've quality-rendered mid-workflow on two hands, but I suppose it could be argued that that's partly because renderers are slow and cumbersome to set up!

Edited by user Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:35:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
GARLIC on 3/28/2018(UTC)
digitalphaser  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 6:25:17 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

There is no expensive(from $189) real-time render Marmoset Toolbag. I love this software. Super simple and powerful tool.

This program is designed to pre-view textured game/cinema models. But for promotional rendering it may come well in handy. With reasonable use. ;)
File Attachment(s):
mt.jpg (554kb) downloaded 15 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.