logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob La Londe  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:47:42 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I watched Tim's video on textures, but it appears its just an optical affect for appearance. I'd like to know if there is an easy way to do a general over texture that actually changes the shape of the solid model.

Brick pattern, cobblestones, scales, etc. Something I can actually cut when I take it from CAD to CAM. In most cases I would be applying this to fairly complex "organic" shapes.

I know some "tricks" like mapping lines to surfaces and engraving them to get some simulated affects, but I'd like to get the actual shape instead. Another is to create a pattern of lines, do offsets, and create closed shapes which can be over or under machined. Again its a trick to sort of get there, but not quite. Its also quite tedious.

Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:13:46 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>Brick pattern,

Have you seen this video?

https://youtu.be/EiRIkJT0zjI

I've got some guys using this tool to create stamps as well from black/white images.

>>I would be applying this to fairly complex "organic"
You can close or extrude the shape, but I do not have a wrap or map. That would be pretty cool.

Tim

Edited by user Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:16:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Bob La Londe  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:19:34 AM(UTC)
Bob La Londe

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
That is an option. CamBam has an image to height map tool as well. It's useful for generation of polylines (silhouette or edge detect) I can project onto a surface or create boundary shapes for some of the other tricks I use, but it still doesn't allow for a real textured polymorphic or organic surface either.

It is a good video. I might use it if my wife ever wants me to make textured wall panels for the doll houses she builds.

I can't use it on my main design computer as the PowerPack I bought for it doesn't include it. I haven't checked the other PowerPack directly from you on the other computer yet.

Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff
www.CNCMOLDS.com