logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Claus  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 9:45:04 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
A 3d design/conceptual modeler is nothing without rendering. I am (mostly) VERY happy with CU but honestly the Lightwave renderer is not exactly state of the art. In fact it's pretty boring.

I would really like to suggest to the developers (Tim?) to make Maxwell Render the preferred rendering solution for CU users. How? Make a plugin or enhance export options and sell CU bundled with Maxwell.

Why?

I used Electric Image for 5 years and never got a decent rendering in less than a few days. I bought Maxwell and in less than a few hours I got something very close to realism.

I don't own Maxwell stock but as I have turned 40 years I find that I have not got enough time left in my life to be "expert" anything else than designer. Maxwell lets you throw together objects and lights in a scene, push a button and a "real" picture slowly appears on your screen. Certainly real enough to convince any of my clients.

If you havent tried it, there is a demo download available at maxwellrender.com. Try out the "multilight" feature and you will be amazed. Whith the feature turned on, you can ajust the light intensity AS IT IS RENDERING and even after rendering. It's absolutely unbelivable.

In addition the developers are fairly responsive, the users are helpful and there is a HUGE material database available for download on the Maxwell homepage.

Another important issue is Mac compatibility as well as pc which is also an important advantage of Concepts Unlimited.

All this comes at an expense rendering requires cpu power to be usefull. Still you can set up a scene in a few hours and render it overnight. Anyway the CU/Maxwell bundle would be a winner.

Claus
tmay  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 11:30:26 AM(UTC)
tmay

I purchased Maxwell Render back in June when I was able to get three additional compute nodes free. Nice if you have four Mac Pro dual Quads sitting around... (I don't) though I am still getting up to speed on using it.

I agree with you on the plugin, though I would argue that adding global lighting/HDRi capabilities to existing CU rendering is probably a better value for most users.

tom