logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David Gross  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:24:31 PM(UTC)
David Gross

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Are there memory limits for SharkFX and why. Seems to crash at 2 gigs (I have 4 gigs).
David Gross
Dmg Design
Colgate, Wi.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 3:06:53 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
David Gross wrote:
Are there memory limits for SharkFX and why. Seems to crash at 2 gigs (I have 4 gigs).

We are not aware of any limits up to 4GB. Scott develops&tests with 4GB.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
David Gross  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 8:39:48 PM(UTC)
David Gross

Tim

On my PC it repeatedly crashes at 1.96 gigs. On my last PC with CU V4 and 2 gigs of memory it repeatedly crashed at 1.70 gigs.
David Gross
Dmg Design
Colgate, Wi.
bmeissner  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2007 5:16:26 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

David Gross wrote:
Tim

On my PC it repeatedly crashes at 1.96 gigs. On my last PC with CU V4 and 2 gigs of memory it repeatedly crashed at 1.70 gigs.

Well, this is Windows crashing. I can reproduce this with IronCad, too ;-)

Try starting Windows with the /3gb switch set in the boot.ini. This won't give you a full access to the whole 3 GB in reality, but it will definitely get you over the 2GB limit. Works with IronCad and FormZ, should work with CU/Shark, too.

Or: Work on a Mac for 4 GB :-)

Bernd
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2007 7:55:03 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Bernd, many thanks. David let me know if this works so I can update tech support with this solution.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
David Gross  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2007 2:55:32 PM(UTC)
David Gross

Tim

When I first booted the computer the system control panel said that I had 3.25 gigs of memory and did go into the boot.ini file and added the 3 gig info hoping that maybe more memory would show up but it didn't so put the file back to normal. I will try it again to see if it helps.
David Gross
Dmg Design
Colgate, Wi.
bmeissner  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 6:10:39 AM(UTC)
bmeissner

David Gross wrote:
When I first booted the computer the system control panel said that I had 3.25 gigs of memory and did go into the boot.ini file and added the 3 gig info hoping that maybe more memory would show up but it didn't so put the file back to normal. I will try it again to see if it helps.

David,

the /3gb switch doesn't add any memory to anything. Its only function is to allow an application to use more than the 2GB of RAM, which a 32-bit system like Windows usually can allocate to a *single* application. Without this switch, every(!) 32-bit Windows application will be limited to a maximum of 2GB, no matter how much RAM you have. If an application crashes, freezes or throws out a number of error messages, once reaching this limit, depends on the app and anything else what is currently going on in the system. If you use the /3gb switch, certain applications (which are built to handle more than 2GB) can use almost 1GB of additional RAM, before the limitation strikes again. So you won't notice anything, before you open a large file in CU/Shark which would usually crash at 2GB. It should now be possible to handle such a file, as long as you don't reach 3GB or something close to this.

Bernd
David Gross  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 10:13:10 AM(UTC)
David Gross

Tim

Added the /3GB to the boot.ini file.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /3GB /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The computer crashes when Shark hits 1.84 gigs of memory and when the total including the system memory hit 2.05 gigs.
A ACIS error window pops up saying "free store overflow" and after closing that window another window pops up saying Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library and below that it says runtime error.

Is Shark "large address aware"?
David Gross
Dmg Design
Colgate, Wi.