logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:10:35 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Serendipitously, and to my pleasure, I learned that I could rotate a piece of geometry around an axis. I'll need to supply the pic later, but I'll describe the process as best as I can recall.

This thread *probably* could be posted under Solid Modeling, too...

-Create 2 polygons (say, 7 sides, maybe 10 feet and 25 ft diameters)
-Create Circle (say, 8 feet dia)

-Place circle between polygons, all 3 on different Z elevations (say, several feet apart)

(Aactually for this you won't need the bottom portion, so you can delete if you want)

Use Skin Solid tool either up or down all 3 geometries, or do two upper then two lower.

-Create new vertical lines and and at least one horizontal line along the upper "bowl's" geometry.

-Thicken the surface, say, to something you can see in a zoom - maybe 5/8"

-Break apart the objects

-Draw a cylinder and penetrate the "bowl" bottom

-Select a side wall portion as well as the TOP of the cylinder so that only two points appear (cylinder's end center and part of the selected "wall"), ensuring that the wall selected has an axial line horizontal to the axis you will rotate around.

NOW the fun part:

Push the cylinder's point away from the center of the mass of the bowl. The wall that is selected with the cylinder should "gate-swing" along the horizontal line

The sad part:

I did something in my model that is now causing ViaCAD to crash/stop responding.

I have to search the tutorials to see if there is a formal one for this...
ZeroLengthCurve  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 12:27:07 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I might have performed this under recollection of having done similar before in ViaCAD. But, it is really neat to rotate objects around an axis. I'm still trying to figure out how to do this in AutoCAD. Don't know how useful it'll be here at work, though.