logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alexander  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:20:30 AM(UTC)
Alexander

I am having a lot of difficulty setting up a perspective view of an interior space in Shark FX. Every time I use the View Properties> Eyepoint/Reference Point dialogue to adjust the various values, I end up with all sorts of unexpected views.

Could someone please point me to a tutorial or guide for setting views in Shark FX? The User Guide simply points out what the various menu items are, but there's no practical guide as to how to use the menus.

Thanks in anticipation.

Alexander Lau
NickB  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:37:23 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The view properties eye reference point dialog is practically useless. The only way to create a view is to move things around by trial and error. Sometimes I find that when I am near where I want to be it is easier to change from the view ball to the step ball and set the steps to 0.01 degrees so that you have fine control.

Perspective can get pretty weird. For architecture / interiors you will probably need to use a value over a couple of hundred. 300 is a good place to start, and reduce it to give a wider angle of view / more perspective, increase to reduce perspective.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Steve.M  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:08:36 PM(UTC)
Steve.M

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Alexander,

You will find it easier to select "View~ New View", that will bring up the View properties window, then name the view (if you want to re-name), then (with "Eye pt / reference pt selected) first select in the scene (in the view window) a point (usually on an object) and then another point in the view for the reference. That will give the direction for the camera/view, then press "Apply" and the view will update and the camera/view pointing along the line of the 2 points you created/selected. (you may then need to zoom all or zoom in, but the direction should be correct)

- Steve
Alexander  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 9:18:25 PM(UTC)
Alexander

Thanks, NickB. How do I set the the steps for the Viewball? I will try out your suggestion.

Thanks, Steve. Actually, I was doing exactly what you mentioned, and that was how I ended with all sorts of unexpected results. In View Properties, sometimes when I check the perspective box and click apply, the entire scene disappears. Zooming out does not bring back the scene. I have to click out of perspective view.

I think the View Properties menu can be better refined. Is Eye point the location of the eye, or the point that the eye is looking at? Vice versa for Reference point. Maybe an old school method of actually showing a camera on the scene (just like the way lights are placed), and pointing to exactly where we intend to look would be a good start. We can then adjust focal lengths and viewpoints of the camera lens in a much more predictable manner.

Tim, any comments on the above? Thanks.

Best regards
Alexander Lau
NickB  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:42:12 AM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Alexander,
To set steps in the view ball:

Click on the stair icon top right hand corner of the view ball (if you are not already in step mode)
Then click on the eye in the top left of the view ball window.
A window comes up named View Rotation (Step Mode) top right hand corner is a box where you can enter the step angle. I tend to use model rotation, and sometimes select a point or object on the model to make it easier to get to what I want.

One other tip, is to turn off your lights when setting up a view to be rendered as the lights effect the size of your model space and effect perspective settings. SO if you set the view and then turn them on things tend to be more predictable.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Steve.M  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:48:05 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

Alexander wrote:
Thanks, Steve. Actually, I was doing exactly what you mentioned, and that was how I ended with all sorts of unexpected results. In View Properties, sometimes when I check the perspective box and click apply, the entire scene disappears. Zooming out does not bring back the scene. I have to click out of perspective view.

Hi Alexander,

You must be using a different build or OS (or both).
Shark FX build 737 (PC) works just fine. The only thing I forgot to mention was the 3rd ref point for orientation (which way up the view would be) but that I add via the input window.

Even 2d/3d build 190 (PC) works correctly on this.

As a very simple example I have attached some pics.

01. Just shows 3 blocks of different hight/color.
02. I have selected "new view", I then pick the 1st point (eye position) at the bottom corner of the blue block (snapped to its bottom corner). The 2nd point (ref) then being the bottom of (snapped to) the red block. I then in the properties change the "up" so than Z is "1" and the XY "0" (which makes sure Z is up in the new view).
03. I press Apply and the new view is created correctly

The only other possible problem I could see, would be if you click in open space for the eye/ref points, which could give unexpected results.

- Steve
Steve.M attached the following image(s):
01.jpg (55kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
02.jpg (51kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
03.jpg (11kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Alexander  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:08:42 AM(UTC)
Alexander

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for taking time to provide such a detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

I am using Shark FX build 750 on Mac OS 10.4.X. I did steps that are similar to what you have described, but just on a much larger scale (interior of a station). I picked the points by snapping to specific locations on the model. The only thing I did not do is to pick the Z point. I will try that.

One workaround I found was simply to use the standard Left,Front, or Top views, and adjust the perspective angle. Seems far more predictable and looks more 'correct'.

I still hope that Punch will come out with some detailed tutorials for using the Rendering functions.

Thanks again.

Best regards
Alexander Lau
damiane  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:12:35 AM(UTC)
damiane

It's not exactly drag and drop though is it?

You can choose a position for a view point but because Shark won't let us jump back to exactly the same settings like CU would it's right royal pain in the arse.
Steve.M  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:22:14 AM(UTC)
Steve.M

damiane wrote:
You can choose a position for a view point but because Shark won't let us jump back to exactly the same settings like CU would it's right royal pain in the arse.
All new views should be getting saved in "View ~ User View" so it should just be a need to select the saved view. On the PC you can also right click in an empty area of the screen (is it the same on the MAC?), the menu popup includes all views (default and user).

There does appear to be a problem when attempting to edit a view properties,... so I just always create new.

- Steve