logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CADCAM  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2024 6:02:18 PM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 24c Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CADCAM Go to Quoted Post

The way I see it punchCAD should be competeing with the likes of Fusion.. which given the latest price rise and cloud dependency is pissing everyone off. They have focused on intergrating CAM and 3D Slicing into their software because thats what customers want.

Ignoring the obvious jest at V14, I wouldn't need a slicing 3D print function within PunchCAD products, because other than using a mesh repair tool in the past, and doing some "retopo' aka reducing mesh complexity, my slicer of choice can slice STEP files now, which gives better results than using STLs. I've been 3D printing for 10 years now, and although I bought Simplify3D the progress in free slicer development has been huge in that time, and is getting better all the time (non planar printing, Full Control GCODE Designer, and Arc overhangs are some interesting developments).

CAM functionality would be nice, but that's a whole different minefield of compatibility re CNC hardware, so I couldn't see PunchCAD dipping their toes in this, as they have enough bug fixes to sort. :) Anyway, there are several packages out there that can import STEP files, that are more dedicated and not too pricey for CNC machine hobbyists.

Personally, I think PunchCAD should stick to improving toolsets that cater for the design aspects and not 3D additive or subtractive arenas.

However, I would like to see some Finite Element Analysis integration one day,(although Simscale was a product I found nice to use, which again imported my STEP exports) and this would work well into an AI environment, so you could ask conditional questions about a part and the software could apply adaptive modelling to the object. You see this in Fusion and others now.

Mike

I just wanted to pick up on this because from my perspective there is a big hole in the lower end market for a decent CAD with CAM, even for hobbist that want to take there machining past what Freecad can do. Which raises the point, WHO is Punchcads target market?

"several packages out there that can import STEP files, that are more dedicated and not too pricey for CNC machine hobbyists" is not the point. I spend so much time going between shark and CAM exporting/importing IGES, STP, and DXF it isnt funny. I don't know of much decent that has both good CAD and good CAM?

Soldiworks charges 20K a year for decent show, but at the lower end there is really only Fusion online and Rhino who have what I would consider a "proper" CAD with intergrated CAM cababilities (and even then Rhino CAM will cost you around 6K). This is why Fusion is dominating the low end market for CAM, but no one likes the subscription model and if you goto Autocad Invenetor then you better call the bank.

Nearly all the CAM products avaliable use Moduleworks for CAM, so it surely wouldn't be that hard to impement a plugin to interface between the two! https://www.moduleworks.com/company/partners/

Edited by user Thursday, April 11, 2024 6:12:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked CADCAM for this useful post.
damhave on 4/12/2024(UTC), L. Banasky on 4/12/2024(UTC)
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2024 4:08:33 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)
TurboCAD has a CAM plugin, but I think it is Windows only.
It could be incorporated into ViaCAD and Shark.
https://www.turbocad.com...d-platinum-20192020.html

Larry
thanks 1 user thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
CADCAM on 4/12/2024(UTC)
memphisjed  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2024 3:03:20 PM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Cam is labor intensive on software side, even with heavy lifting by module works (which is expensive license too).
Notice all great cam software has mediocre cad, cad based has mediocre cam. Two very different products. Cam software also needs support staff for posts and major bugs that can happen.
Exceptions are Catia and nx level, which are not for designer or mid size shop budgets.
Fusion is a decent cam program, smartcam cnc is one I really liked- my machines do not run enough to make the price point.
Topsolid has been recommended recently, still waiting to hear price before getting free trial.

Generative design and fea would be better add on options.

Big ups to punch for having price on the web.
24c  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2024 11:52:55 PM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: memphisjed Go to Quoted Post

+1 for this direction, for FEA I used Simscale in the past for hobbyist tinkering, but the exclusions of some modules and pricing for these exceeded my needs. I used it for evaluating stress variations whilst tweaking part shaping, and heat flows for a 3D printer tool head, but you have to be careful using FEA, as the wrong inputs will make anything look good. :)

I'm not sure how it'd be integrated, Simscale used to import a STEP file and add conditions, maybe a Powerpack Plus module.

Mike
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
relaxibus  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2024 3:24:59 AM(UTC)
relaxibus

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Cam is labor intensive on software side, even with heavy lifting by module works (which is expensive license too).
Notice all great cam software has mediocre cad, cad based has mediocre cam. Two very different products. Cam software also needs support staff for posts and major bugs that can happen.
Exceptions are Catia and nx level, which are not for designer or mid size shop budgets.
Fusion is a decent cam program, smartcam cnc is one I really liked- my machines do not run enough to make the price point.
Topsolid has been recommended recently, still waiting to hear price before getting free trial.

I Agree, integrating a CAM is not the way. There are two solutions for both Windows and Mac that from what users experiences here in the forum are quite happy
https://www.spline.nl/software/deskproto.php
https://www.grzsoftware.com

Decent pricing and functions. We can't compare this with Topsoil and other high professional CAMs

I totale agree, this is a much more desired option!
CADCAM  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2024 8:56:46 PM(UTC)
CADCAM

Originally Posted by: relaxibus Go to Quoted Post
I Agree, integrating a CAM is not the way. There are two solutions for both Windows and Mac that from what users experiences here in the forum are quite happy
https://www.spline.nl/software/deskproto.php
https://www.grzsoftware.com

Both these programs can hardly compete with Fusion Machining, not to mention they don't even support modern basics like HSM. They are hobby programs for someone with a router, which is why I asked who is PunchCads target audience? And if the target market is hobby guys, then I agree CAM is a bad idea. But then I have to wonder what hobby guy wants AI?

Edited by user Monday, April 15, 2024 8:57:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CADCAM  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2024 9:06:48 PM(UTC)
CADCAM

Yeah, I guess I accept they are different beasts.

BTW If you're looking, check out https://www.e-cam.it
And in my opinion the best price competitive, do everything Fusion Machining can do CAM is https://www.dolphincadcam.com