logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2024 8:41:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When I bought my first ViaCAD several years ago, I was impressed. Buying SharkCAD 14 has been a big disappointment. It's been almost a year since I bought version 14 and I haven't worked on it a single day because it's unusable as it is. Almost every week I open the software and check if a service pack is available and there hasn't been.

And now you're talking about version 15 with a big focus on AI. That's one thing I've never seen anyone ask for. People ask for specific tools, more customization options and mostly bug fixes.

I may be naive to the practical business of CAD, but I do know about product development and selling a product. One thing I will never do is knowingly sell a broken product to a customer.

Fix the existing product first, and then start thinking about a new one.
thanks 5 users thanked 770 for this useful post.
perry on 3/27/2024(UTC), scruff007 on 3/29/2024(UTC), posh.de on 4/2/2024(UTC), damhave on 4/5/2024(UTC), TruggyDriver69 on 4/6/2024(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2024 4:39:01 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Unfortunately this seems to be standard practice. Then you read "it's not practical business sense to ship out loads of service packs" well get it right first and you won't need thousand of updates rolling out surely?
I put a complaint in and requested a refund for V11 and 12. I was told "its been processed" I asked what that means, still waiting, it's been two years now.

I had good reason for it, just unusable software that crashed all the time, broken files, lacking support, I mean the amount of stuff I sent in they must have been sick of hearing from me, I suspect that's why they haven't responded to my request.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
scruff007 on 3/29/2024(UTC)
memphisjed  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2024 12:20:11 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
V10 and 12 ran perfect for me. Still running v10 on one computer. Run comparability win 7 service pack 2 was the secret to 12. V11 was meh.
V14 I am running on much, much, much faster computer/graphics and it is not as smooth. I can deal with larger stl files, but still choppy and not smooth/accurate screen. V14 as bought was almost unusable, a wip a few months ago made it good enough. I have not upgraded my wip- because I need my cad. Good enough is going to have to work for now. Computer is Hp fury with amd pro graphics and unlimited ram- hard to see that being slower than old gaming card or FirePro graphics.
I have yet to figure out how to update to latest stable build.

Some versions of every software just do not work to well.
thanks 1 user thanked memphisjed for this useful post.
scruff007 on 3/29/2024(UTC)
CADCAM  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2024 5:24:25 PM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
LOL. Hot Potato!!

I love Sharkcad, it often makes me smile.
The value for me is the ease of modelling in solids and then producing 2D sketches from that. It does this exceptionally well. Most CADs are the opposite workflow - producing 3D from sketches.

The main difference I have seen over the years is less crashing and watching the cursor spin.

I wont be upgrading for AI, but there are lots of other things that could be done for a V15 upgrade such as fixing the new but hopeless render engine, creating a proper timeline feature rather than the uselessness of modifying entities, a better workplane/face sketching facility, and I would like to see constraints able to be placed directly on 3D entities.

Given the software isn't a subscription and/or cloud model I think it's still great value.
thanks 1 user thanked CADCAM for this useful post.
Birger on 4/14/2024(UTC)