logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
perry  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2024 11:47:34 AM(UTC)
perry

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I upgraded to v14 because v12 no longer works properly on Sonoma, at least not on my new MacBook Pro with a silicon chip. Two weird things:

1) the file that was linked to in the download email is ViaCAD14_1645_WIP.dmg -- is this a beta build? I'd rather wait for something stable than use an experimental version, especially since I just paid to upgrade because I need stability. Or is this a mistake? The About box says it's the same build number but it doesn't say WIP anywhere

2) There is no longer an option to export STEP files? Why? I confirmed that in V12 I could (thought I was going nuts there for a minute).
24c  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2024 3:26:15 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: perry Go to Quoted Post
2) There is no longer an option to export STEP files? Why? I confirmed that in V12 I could (thought I was going nuts there for a minute).

Hi Perry,

I'm pretty sure you can export step files in v14 ViaCAD although I'm using SharkCAD Pro, I never noticed this being a de-featured export set in my use of ViaCAD.

Cursor up to the Apple menubar in V14, go File>Export a dialog box opens, scroll down to Step, don't forget to check the units.

https://docs.imsidesign....ommands/File/Export.html

Mike

PS Looking at your other posts, I'm guessing this wasn't a solid part.

Edited by user Monday, March 25, 2024 3:40:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: add PS

24c attached the following image(s):
Export.png (443kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
STEP.png (83kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
thanks 1 user thanked 24c for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 3/25/2024(UTC)
perry  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2024 7:43:28 AM(UTC)
perry

STEP is just gone from the export list in v14. I still have v12 on that laptop (though it doesn't work properly on Sonoma), and I opened a project file in that version, STEP is an export option. It's just not in the list of formats you can export to in 14.

On the other post, the part is a simple rectangular solid with 9mm and 5mm through holes. I've made these kinds of parts for years and have never had an issue like this. I need to also bring it into my CAM software and see if it's complaining about anything, now that I think of it.
GARLIC  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2024 1:23:08 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 48 post(s)
well,FreeCad can always be a valuable option with regards to step import / export:
https://www.freecad.org/downloads.php
best regards
perry  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2024 6:44:08 AM(UTC)
perry

I mean sure. But I paid for ViaCAD and it had this option in the last version. So why is it gone?
CADCAM  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2024 5:30:08 PM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GARLIC Go to Quoted Post
well,FreeCad can always be a valuable option with regards to step import / export:
https://www.freecad.org/downloads.php
best regards

WTF.. go wash your mouth out
murrayagain  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2024 6:26:36 PM(UTC)
murrayagain

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Tim has said that VC 2D3D V14 doesn't have IGES or STEP translation because Spatial charges more for translators for them, so IMSI cut those translators from 2D3D. ACIS is still in the app to enable blending, shelling, NURBS surfaces and the like, and you can import and export .SAT/.SAB, but unless you've got another app to translate it with, or you ask someone else to do it for you, no STEP or IGES. DWG import/export conveys NURBS and solids compatible with some other apps. You say that V12 no longer works properly, but you might still be able to save from V14 to V12 and export STEP from there, if you've kept it on the device?

Edited by user Sunday, March 31, 2024 6:31:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified