logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
epicycloid  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2023 1:18:50 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Maybe there is a trick buried in the docs that I haven't found yet, but is there a way to maintain the starting point of a line, when I type in a length for it?

I'm still new to ViaCAD and migrating from my prior software, so things work a little differently...

The scenario is I draw a line, and I want to draw the next line, starting at the endpoint of the first line, but enter a specific length for it.

What happens is the LogiCursor enable starting on the endpoint of the first line, and I draw out an approximate distance. But then when I type the desired length in the data entry, the line adjusts to the correct length, but jumps off the starting pojnt.

This seems very counterintuitive, and I'm guessing it must be pilot error on my part.

How can I draw a line, and maintain it's initial position, when entering a value for it?

2 images attached showing where the line starts, then entering a length of 3' and how it "jumps" off of the desired endpoint of the other line.

Thanks,

Edited by user Tuesday, November 21, 2023 1:20:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

epicycloid attached the following image(s):
LineJump2.jpg (27kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
LineJump1.jpg (27kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
      --Jon

SharkCAD Pro – V14 (aka 14.1.0 = WIP 1641)
16" MacBook Pro – Apple Silicon M2 Pro – MacOS Ventura 13.4.1
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2023 4:04:46 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
Try the Multi-Line tool.

Tab to cycle through fields, CR to enter values as a line segment.

Tim

Edited by user Tuesday, November 21, 2023 4:05:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
multiline.mp4 (3,768kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 8:24:28 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 101 post(s)
Originally Posted by: epicycloid Go to Quoted Post
the line adjusts to the correct length, but jumps off the starting pojnt.
That's crazy, I've never seen such behavior before. Is this a new bug in Version 14? In SharkCAD and ViaCAD, the correct principle for drawing a line is to first draw the line and then define its length.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 9:03:21 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>the correct principle for drawing a line is to first draw the line and then define its length.

Yes, that is the way it is working. I would need steps that show otherwise. Length is defined in the direction of P2 - P1.

Tim

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
epicycloid  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 12:48:54 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

Well, I used the line example as the simplest case of where I see this happen, but it happens on other tools too.

And I apologize for posting my two images in the wrong order, the right image is the initial case, the left image is the result.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Draw a line (I drew a vertical line, but any angle does the same)
2. Start drawing a second line, with the LogiCursor indicating "endpoint" of the first line (I drew a horizontal line, perpendicular to the first, likewise, any angle does the same)
3. Click to end the new line.
4. Start typing a length, which will automatically highlight and enter the text in the Length data entry field (I typed 4' --> number 4 and single quote for feet, using feet/inches units)
5. Hit return, and new line jumps off of the endpoint of the first line.

Alarmingly, Tim's suggestion of trying the Multi-Line tool exhibits the same behavior...

1. Start drawing a line
2. Before clicking to place the second point, type 2' and hit return
3. On mouse movement, line and cursor jump

--> The first attached image shows a sequence of drawing arbitrary angled lines, and entering 2' before clicking the endpoint.

Then I tried a variation, manually dragging out to 2' a couple times on the first two line segments, then on the third typing in the 2' value, and the multi-line jumps off the end of the first two (well behaved) lines. Screen shot attached.

--> The second screenshot sows a multi-line created by dragging out manually to 2' twice, then typing the 2' value for the third line.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 22, 2023 12:53:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Multi-Line CCW-2ft.jpg (37kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
2manual1typed.jpg (29kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

--Jon

epicycloid  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 1:05:39 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

I can email a (crummy) video showing the sequence if that helps.

I haven't tried any screen recording apps / tools, but if there is (a Mac) one that works, happy to try that too.

--Jon

jlm  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2023 2:16:40 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)

any screen recording apps / tools, but if there is (a Mac) one that works, happy to try that too.

Hello,
The easiest way to capture a video on a Mac is to use Quicktime (File menu, 3rd line : record screen)
MPSchmied  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 6:51:23 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

WThe first attached image shows a sequence of drawing arbitrary angled lines, and entering 2' before clicking the endpoint.
The only working method is to first set an endpoint before entering the length. It's important to check which input field is active at the top of the screen.

Edited by user Thursday, November 23, 2023 7:02:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
epicycloid  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 12:45:57 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

Thank you, and yes, I understand that is how it is expected to work. That is why I asked my question... it isn't working that way for me at the moment.

Attached is an example where I...

1. Drew a circle
2. Started a vertical line with LogiCursor saying it was in the center
3. Clicked to place the endpoint of the first line
4. Then used the tab key to highlight the "Length" field
5. Typed 3' and hit return
6. The line "jumped" out of the circle, up and to the right
7. I started a second horizontal new line, with the LogiCursor saying it was on the "endpoint" of the first line
8. I dragged and clicked to set the finishing point to the right of the start point
9. I typed tab until the "Length" field was highlighted
10. I typed 3' and hit return, the still highlighted red line shows where that line jumped to

I am using WIP 1641. I will install another version to try and reproduce and see if this is a recent change in behavior.

There was also a recent fix to the feet/inches and for troubleshooting purposes I will test to see if this happens in other units (I am currently working on architectural drawings in feet/inches).

More to follow.

JumpFromCircleAndSecondLine.jpg (45kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

--Jon

epicycloid  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2023 12:52:19 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

Well, low and behold, my suspicion that this might be related to a previous issue that I was seeing prior to WIP 1641... when I tried the very same sequence of events in MM instead of feet/inches, everything worked as expected.

Attached is a screenshot of the same steps, with the only change being to switch from feet/inches to MM...

Time permitting I will install an older build and see if feet/inches behaves as expected.

Edited by user Thursday, November 23, 2023 12:52:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Missing new attachment

NoJumpInMM.jpg (45kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

--Jon

thanks 1 user thanked epicycloid for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 11/24/2023(UTC)
epicycloid  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2023 1:26:43 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

Thanks for the comments. Initially I thought I was going crazy...

I filed a bug report on this, as I was able to reproduce it in ViaCAD and now SharkCAD.

With further testing, it seems to be specific to working in units of feet/inches, and doesn't appear to happen in any of the other units I tested.

I suspect this crept in with the recent WIP build that fixed the data entry field, when working in feet/inches.

--Jon

MPSchmied  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2023 10:29:30 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

I typed tab until the "Length" field was highlighted
That's not necessary. You only need Tab in exceptional cases or if you want to edit other fields, because the field for the length is active by default, even if it is not highlighted in color. To clarify, the value in the length field is not initially highlighted in color, but you can still immediately edit the value after setting the endpoint.

epicycloid  
#13 Posted : Friday, December 1, 2023 4:14:38 PM(UTC)
epicycloid

Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
That's not necessary. You only need Tab in exceptional cases or if you want to edit other fields, because the field for the length is active by default, even if it is not highlighted in color. To clarify, the value in the length field is not initially highlighted in color, but you can still immediately edit the value after setting the endpoint.

Yes, I know that the tab is unnecessary *most* of the time, for the "expected case" like changing the length.

I was merely trying to be sure I followed Tim's suggestion above, so as not to add yet another variable in the attempt to troubleshoot or reproduce the issue.

So far, with my ongoing testing, this still appears limited to working in feet/inches only.

Edited by user Friday, December 1, 2023 4:15:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: clean up quote

--Jon