logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brad Lowe  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2023 4:51:10 PM(UTC)
Brad Lowe

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Guys, sorry fairly new to this, was jut wondering if you can add fonts to ViaCAD ? we have mainly been using it for our cnc laser cutter for brackets but have been getting asked if we can do certain fonts for outside work. The Font we were just asked about is called Metal Vengeance
Cheers
thanks 1 user thanked Brad Lowe for this useful post.
specktech on 9/4/2023(UTC)
MaiFy  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2023 5:07:02 AM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Hi Brad.
I'm pretty sure Viacad uses the fonts in your windows font folder.
You just have to download the font and put it in the windows font folder and it will then be available in Viacad.
posh.de  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2023 9:52:20 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
specktech  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2023 3:08:40 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 25 post(s)
You will have fun learning about the subject of fonts. I have spent so many hours testing and studying this. You will find that there are quite a few challenges with open type fonts. Some fonts your computer might load,but your cad software won't add it to the cad font list. Some open type fonts will load fine and look great in your cad program,but your cam software won't be able to do it. Some open type fonts work great with no issues. This has been really frustrating for me, because most of the fonts that I like are open type fonts. I have had no problems with true type fonts. But you will find that many open type fonts the software can't make sense of the curves. There is some super detailed technical papers on the internet about this. There is also some ways to use Inkscape to create a workaround. I also use Rhino 7 and it works really well with all kinds of fonts. The thing with ViaCAD is that it creates the font into a solid form. So its hard to get the profile curve. I have used the create outline tool function many times to get an outer profile curve.But sometimes it won't work. Also tested changing fom polygons to curves in the main option settings. Rhino loads these fonts as curves first then you can create a solid if you want. I might not know all the ways to get ViaCad to use fonts. But I have spent so many hours testing this and have to say I am so stoked I bought Rhino 7. The cam software I use is CamBam and Ecam and they both are so awesome but again certain fonts just cause problems. If anyone know's more about this subject on fonts. I would sure like to read your information. Have fun. P.S. My favorite font is called "Rexlia". And I dig all the digital fonts like "two bit" and all the other futuristic type fonts.
thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
MaiFy on 9/6/2023(UTC)
specktech  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2023 4:14:46 PM(UTC)
specktech

Just did a test on that Metal Vengence font. It opens and loads into ViaCAD just fine.Saved it as a DXF file. But my CamBam software turned it into a really basic blocky true type font. I opened it in Rhino and sent it to ECAM v5 it opened and looks great. Going to take the DXF that Rhino created and send it back through ViaCad. Then see if it loads into CamBAM. This is the perfect font for testing that will create some small challenges. I imagine programs like vectric aspire would handle any kind of font. But I am not completely sure of that.

UPDATE: I just figured out something that has stumped me for awhile now. Load the Metal Vengence font. Create some text. Then box select it and then explode it. The explode button in ViaCAD has an icon that is not easy to spot. Its the white box with the red edge. Explode the font then you can get the profile curves. Then you can save it as a DXF file. Does seem like you have to explode each letter seperately in ViaCAD. In Rhino exploding is a very common tool I use and its super easy to locate. But I learned something here. Explode those fonts they might work. ViaCAD always surprises me, But at the same time it is a very technical program. Rhino kind of steers you in the right direction with all the little tool tips and pop up instructions. I Imagine ViaCAD might still have some problems with some fonts but maybe not. Just explode it. Always learning.

P.S. If anyone is looking for a cool cam program that is really affordable and seems to work really well. Check out ECAM V5. You can use it for free and get gcode on the weekends. I don't own it yet But I will get it as soon as possible. And of course CamBAM is my main go to cam program. Someday I dream of buying MadCAM for Rhino but its super expensive. But I did try it and its really awesome. Peace out
specktech  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 4, 2023 5:38:51 PM(UTC)
specktech

Just went back and tested this explode function with the Metal Vengence font. I forgot an important step in my explanation. You have to extrude the font into a solid first. Then explode each letter. Then you could create some construction lines and use the translate tool to pull the letters down to a reference line. This might make it easier to keep them aligned with the correct spacing.

If you ever want some real frustration. Try the wrap text tool in ViaCAD. I bought ViaCAD because of this tool and it works really bad. Very rarely could I ever get it to project certain fonts. It does work well with plain jane true type fonts.

I also bought ViaCAD for the advertised mesh tools. But the symmetry tool does not work correctly. I was also bummed that they removed the surface deform tool. And the mesh to nurbs tool. But I guess for another 160 dollars I could get the paraboloid tool,that is basically the surface deform tool. And I could get features that I already have that I got with powerpack.

I could also get the mesh symmetry tool that is now fixed. But the mesh to nurbs tool is gone forever because it costs to much money for the company to get the license. But you know what I did. I bought Rhino 7 and it has all these tools and thousands of other tools. In my opinion I should have bought Rhino 7 to begin with, it very rarely crashes. ViaCAD has lots of problems. Can't tell you how many times I just click on the push pull tool and ViaCAD starts to lockup.

I really love ViaCAD but its like a love hate type relationship. I do use it alot. But with no hesitation I will say Rhino 7 is a superior program. It really bothers me that ViaCAD Advertises all these features and tools and many don't work well or they just removed them. I always thought they might send a few free updates to fix their program and make the customers feel valued. Guess not. Its just another 160 dollars for more problems.

You really should have sent a free update to fix your mesh symmetry tool. I use Blender quite a bit and its mesh tools and symmetry funtions work soooo well. Blender is so awesome. Sad to say I really love ViaCAD but I am always hesitant to tell anyone to try it. Sure wish they had a little better business strategy that revolved around good customer relations.
CADCAM  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2024 6:52:30 AM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brad Lowe Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys, sorry fairly new to this, was jut wondering if you can add fonts to ViaCAD ? we have mainly been using it for our cnc laser cutter for brackets but have been getting asked if we can do certain fonts for outside work. The Font we were just asked about is called Metal Vengeance
Cheers

The best way to deal with fonts and cnc in shark is to use Inkscape. You can do anything with fonts in Inkscape. It also has a Hershy plugin which will turn any font into a single line for milling and works great.

Once you've sorted your fonts, save selected and import them into Shark.

Edited by user Monday, April 1, 2024 6:53:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CADCAM  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2024 6:57:57 AM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specktech Go to Quoted Post

If you ever want some real frustration. Try the wrap text tool in ViaCAD. I bought ViaCAD because of this tool and it works really bad. Very rarely could I ever get it to project certain fonts. It does work well with plain jane true type fonts.

You need to turn your fonts into vectors. As per my previous response you can use Inkscape to do this. Then you can import them, project then, and wrap them.