logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
timr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2023 9:44:10 AM(UTC)
timr

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tim Olson - is there a way to recover a damaged file? Just lost 2 days. When I quit V14 and re-opened, file and backups were damaged.

Attached here..

Any help appreciated.

Shark V12, V14
Mac System Catalina, Ventura

timr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2023 9:50:11 AM(UTC)
timr

File too large to upload - can I email? tx
Shark V12, V14

MPSchmied  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2023 1:26:17 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 101 post(s)
How do you know that this file is damaged? Sometimes large files simply take a long time to open, and during this time, ViaCAD seems to be frozen. Check the task manager to see if the process has CPU activity.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
timr  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2023 8:23:40 AM(UTC)
timr

This is SharkCAD - I get the attached message:
timr attached the following image(s):
Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 10.21.14 AM.png (200kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark V12, V14

posh.de  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 9:09:27 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
*afaik* corrupted files (probably damaged by the undo function) cannot be recovered.

As always, do not save one (1) file only but, at least for important stuff, do a 'save as' by adding an incrementing version number "xyz.01.sfx" etc.

I know, doesn't help yet...
thanks 1 user thanked posh.de for this useful post.
timr on 8/15/2023(UTC)
damhave  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 9:30:40 AM(UTC)
damhave

Man
Denmark

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hi timr,
Do you have Time Machine running on your Mac?
Maybe it have stored a backup you can use.
kind regards
Danny
BR
Danny

Windows 10 Pro,
SharkCAD v14 Pro (1653),
XPS 15,9980HK
Sonoma 14.3,
SharkCAD v14 Pro (1653),
MacBook Pro 14 2023,M3
timr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 2:55:50 PM(UTC)
timr

Posh.de

You are exactly correct. I just performed an UNDO on another model - saved, closed the file, it would not re-open - same damaged file message. Even with multiple copies I'm scared to close any file at the moment...

Shark V12, V14

creativecad  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 24, 2023 3:14:28 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I get damaged files a lot even with v14. Finally, I reverted back to my old AutoCAD 2004 lt. However, I have been trying out the latest WIP and so far no damage files, fingers crossed. It did crash to desktop though yesterday when I tried to print something with Phong view. I could not get it to print until I changed it to polylines. Then it printed fine.

Today it kept crashing to desktop. I compacted the file, and that fixed it. I now save a new file about every 2 hours. Then I close the program and reopen it to make sure nothing is damaged.

I am glad to see the mirror function now works right, and the dimensions in viewports bug is now fixed. But damaged files especially damaged backups are the worst because you cannot recover anything.

Maybe this latest WIP is the trick. Sure hope so.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
jlm  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2023 4:36:33 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creativecad Go to Quoted Post
.... It did crash to desktop though yesterday when I tried to print something with Phong view. I could not get it to print until I changed it to polylines.

Can I mention another issue with phong views in 2D views format ?
It does not print to pdf unless the rendered view is fully displayed on the monitor.
- If the phong view is not fully visible it will not be complete in the pdf.
- If I do "view all" before, most of the time the pdf result is at very low resolution...

JL
timr  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2023 6:52:20 AM(UTC)
timr

Keeping this thread on-topic:

Again, more damaged files and backup files on Shark V14. Even with saving versions 01, 02, 03 etc. Closing the file and or restarting damages the file.

THIS IS NOT A BETA - this software is for sale on PunchCAD right now.

Edited by user Friday, August 25, 2023 6:54:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

timr attached the following image(s):
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 8.52.04 AM.png (140kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 8.52.04 AM.png (140kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Shark V12, V14

posh.de  
#11 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2023 11:33:06 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Originally Posted by: timr Go to Quoted Post
Closing the file and or restarting damages the file.

the document already gets corrupted during modeling, saving the corrupt state to a file leads to the corrupt doucment finally.

Trying to undo a (complex) e.g. surface modeling operation by reverse calculating the previous state seems to be prone for the resulting geometry getting corrupt by design because of e.g. unavoidable rounding errors which do add up with every further undo.

save early, save often, and don't overwrite saves
UGMENTALCASE  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2023 1:14:26 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
Save early save often 😂😂😂
The OP states that's what they have done.....
mitchb  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 27, 2023 3:59:45 PM(UTC)
mitchb

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 30 post(s)
If you open your CAD file in a text editor such as "TextEdit" scroll down to the last line and see the word "SUCCESS". If it is not there the file is bad.

Assuming the file is still open in your CAD program, look for unresolved links and fix them, or try compacting. Save again and see if you now get "SUCCESS". If you have multiple backups check to see if earlier ones were successful, if so consider what changes have been made since then to help resolve the issue.
thanks 3 users thanked mitchb for this useful post.
GARLIC on 8/27/2023(UTC), MPSchmied on 8/28/2023(UTC), 24c on 8/28/2023(UTC)
posh.de  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2023 9:46:18 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Save early save often 😂😂😂

hover above the graphic for full quote 😂😂😂

The OP states that's what they have done...

The OP states that he overwrites saves instead of having incrementing version levels of the document, which was actually recommended by me.
UGMENTALCASE  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2023 10:09:56 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

So what you're saying is save hundreds of back ups just incase? Who has space/time for that? For arguments sake small files yes maybe, get something of a few hundred MB and you'll need a serious storage space to keep it all on the off chance it becomes corrupt! If you have a file of a hundred mb for example are you really going to sit there clear the resolve errors, clean then part, save the part, wait for it to save, go check it's saved ok. If not then somehow get a stp out of it before you get a crash or something? Then start again?
It would be better to find why they become corrupt. I started using v8 of this software and not once did I experience a corrupt file, v9 and 10 again not once was there a corrupt file in the years of using them.
V11 and 12 it was almost every job I did it became corrupt. Something happened, and it should be found and fixed.
I've had back up files which saved fine and opened fine suddenly not open. I checked whether it was network saving or local saving that did it, nothing made a difference. In the end I gave up......
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 8/29/2023(UTC)
CNC_Kid  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 28, 2023 10:36:15 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Anecdotal comment:
How does creating a backup even help, if the corruption happens upon Save or SaveAs ?
Would that process be to do an 'open' test of the file, and if that works you create a bkup before making more edits?
But then you have issue of big edits. Example, you have a good backup, you open the file but then make hours worth of edits, Save, and now corrupt. The last bkup made is still good, but now you lost hours of new work.

From my experience, there is no round-about solution to a program that constantly corrupts files, the issue becomes lost work hours. In other words, not good.

Edited by user Monday, August 28, 2023 10:36:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
MPSchmied  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2023 10:29:34 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 101 post(s)
And what do we learn from this? All versions after V9 Build 1162 are a complete waste of money.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
posh.de  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 12:47:09 PM(UTC)
posh.de

Germany

So what you're saying is save hundreds of back ups just incase? Who has space/time for that? For arguments sake small files yes maybe, get something of a few hundred MB and you'll need a serious storage space to keep it all on the off chance it becomes corrupt! If you have a file of a hundred mb for example are you really going to sit there clear the resolve errors, clean then part, save the part, wait for it to save, go check it's saved ok. If not then somehow get a stp out of it before you get a crash or something? Then start again?
It would be better to find why they become corrupt.

I do in general recommend saving revisions of at least important documents from time to time sothat you can go back to a working document before losing everything but also allows to go back to a document without unwanted changes of the last session. But hey, you're free to save to one and the same document only and just wait for Tim fixing the issue... which will probably never happen if e.g. related to the used ACIS kernel.

Storage space? ...you're surely kiddin'

Edited by user Wednesday, August 30, 2023 12:48:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CNC_Kid  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 1:59:23 PM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post

I do in general recommend saving revisions of at least important documents from time to time sothat you can go back to a working document before losing everything but also allows to go back to a document without unwanted changes of the last session. But hey, you're free to save to one and the same document only and just wait for Tim fixing the issue... which will probably never happen if e.g. related to the used ACIS kernel.

If the Save or Save-As kept a history file of the commands done, you then technically do not need countless revisions saved. A history "manifest" where such feature allows you to record a user selected number, like last 20 or 100 edits made. I know there's that Deep Select tool that allows you to remove something like a fillet, but just need a history for the Undo feature, etc.
VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
UGMENTALCASE  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2023 2:22:09 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post

No I'm not kidding. Not everyone has an online storage or massive hard drives to store data. Especially if they are perhaps starting out and haven't yet invested in anything yet.