logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
L. Banasky  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2023 4:41:39 PM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)

I check every new version to see if the Countersink Hole Feature is updated to work like Inventor,
Solidworks, Catia and many more, where you enter or select 82 Deg. for a countersink angle, and
you receive an 82 Deg. countersink angle.
Version14 is the same as all previous versions, this suggestion has been mentioned several times
over the years, and never gets attention.
The Drill Point Angle was updated a few versions ago, it was the same as the countersink, but now
works as it should. Enter 118 Deg, you get 118 Deg.

Please update the Countersink Hole Feature to work like the Drill Point Feature.

I was shocked the first time I entered 82 Deg. in SharkCad Pro, and the countersink angle in the
drawing was 16 Deg.
I thought maybe just enter half of 82 Deg, or 41 Deg.that would work for sure, but the drawing
countersink angle was 98 Deg.
You have to enter 49 Deg. for an 82 Deg. countersink. Subtract half of 82, which is 41, subtract
41 from 90, and you end up with 49, I am used to it by now, I've been doing it for years.
90 Deg countersink, subtract half of 90, which is 45 and subtract that from 90, and enter 45.

I noticed some recent posts regarding countersinks, I'm used to the unintuitive method,
but I don't think that I'm the only user to use 82 and 90 Deg. countersinks.
thanks 1 user thanked L. Banasky for this useful post.
GARLIC on 4/18/2023(UTC)
24c  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2023 1:47:25 AM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Fair points @L. Banasky,

I don’t find the labelling of the entry boxes very intuitive either, but like you I got used to them. :)
Total countersink angle is always the de facto standard in fastener data sheets, which is what I look at when drawing hole defining hole details for fasteners.
+1 for a refresh please, it’s always the little things.

Mike
macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
TruggyDriver69  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2023 8:40:29 AM(UTC)
TruggyDriver69

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: L. Banasky Go to Quoted Post

I check every new version to see if the Countersink Hole Feature is updated to work like Inventor,
Solidworks, Catia and many more, where you enter or select 82 Deg. for a countersink angle, and
you receive an 82 Deg. countersink angle.
Version14 is the same as all previous versions, this suggestion has been mentioned several times
over the years, and never gets attention.
The Drill Point Angle was updated a few versions ago, it was the same as the countersink, but now
works as it should. Enter 118 Deg, you get 118 Deg.

Please update the Countersink Hole Feature to work like the Drill Point Feature.

I was shocked the first time I entered 82 Deg. in SharkCad Pro, and the countersink angle in the
drawing was 16 Deg.
I thought maybe just enter half of 82 Deg, or 41 Deg.that would work for sure, but the drawing
countersink angle was 98 Deg.
You have to enter 49 Deg. for an 82 Deg. countersink. Subtract half of 82, which is 41, subtract
41 from 90, and you end up with 49, I am used to it by now, I've been doing it for years.
90 Deg countersink, subtract half of 90, which is 45 and subtract that from 90, and enter 45.

I noticed some recent posts regarding countersinks, I'm used to the unintuitive method,
but I don't think that I'm the only user to use 82 and 90 Deg. countersinks.

I agree. I only use metric screws ( which have a 90 degree countersink angle)for my designs as it is the industry standard for r/c model cars. It took me a minute to figure out that I had to enter 45 degrees for the countersink angle. It took some trial and error to get the depth correct but I worked that out as well. I think having to set the depth manually is kinda a double edged sword imo. Ultimately I believe (and would be nice) if the tool automatically set/ calculated the depth to flush and then if deeper is needed then that can be set manually. Just my thoughts.