logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2022 5:03:43 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
SharkCAD v 12; issue goes abck for years, back to v9, possibly v7.

I'm re-asking for this to be dealt with. My wrist twitched and I learned that V12 is not fixed WRT "Unlock All" nukingnrhe lock state into irreversibility.

This is incredibly disruptive, frustrating, and irritating.

Please, issue a patch for V12 and in the next revision, either change the code and robustify it, such that:

— when locks are subjected to undo all, there is first a state file the app checks and double checks before letting the user blindly work on without realizing undo didn't undo

— "unlock all" is behind a toggle cover/failsafe cover (and the above still applies).

"Lock All" and "Unlock All" are like tossed tactical nuke hand grenades — they can't be undone properly. Whether on the contextual right-click over the layer name, or the lock column, the two options are way too proximate to ither layer/contextual menu items for the level of damage they can cause.
thanks 1 user thanked ZeroLengthCurve for this useful post.
GARLIC on 11/14/2022(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2022 5:05:09 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
issue goes abck for years, back to v9, possibly v7.
I was testing this in v9 and v10 and in both worked the undo of the locked Layers after using Lock all and also after using Unlock all. I locked several Layers before, they all was locked again after undo. Is this maybe a Mac-Problem?

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2022 11:45:59 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Hi,

Thanks for replying. For some reason, I don't recall having seen your reply across the past 13 days.

The "unlock all" issues I've had may be due to layers count and multitudes of geometry or objects count and colors in a file.

It's definitely very, very real for me. Colors of individual gchangeeomety (sokids, surfaces, curves, text) on their own in my files. It happens spuriously, with no hint it's about to happen.

Because of that, I've had to use master layer colors just to stop the distraction. Even though I can select base on the new master layer color in some modes, there are two ways I know the colors still change ehether in session, after a file crash, or on a regular new session:

— I can turn off the master layer color and directly see the change

— I can attempt to filter-select geometry and experience it being unselected unless I pick different color names/numbers until the geometry is selected.

Extra:

I used to run all my CC/VCP/SLT/SFX instances in Win 7, under VirtualBox, Win 7 being the guest in a PCLinuxOS-based host. I used to think that it was because of VBox or some underlying OS matters. But, recently, since October, I've run SharkCAD Pro in Win 11, native on an HP Victus with 33 GB of RAM, 16 cores. Tho SharkCAD loads my file in 22 seconds (vice the 180+ seconds on the year 2015 Lenovo G70 with 8 cores and 16 BG RAM (12 GB RAM to VBox, 4 to PCLos)), even on bare hardware, I still have the "unlock all" undo failing to work on my large files. I'll revisit it on super simple files.

Again, thanks for the feedback, MPSchmied.
thanks 1 user thanked ZeroLengthCurve for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 11/27/2022(UTC)
creativecad  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2022 1:41:55 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I am not sure that I am following you, but I do know that if you use the "Remove Links" Command, this will clear the undo stack, along with erasing dimensions in the sheet views, and it will mess up the viewports display of your model. I have learned if you want viacad to work well, don't hit the remove links command.

So just wondering if this unlock all layers is after you have hit the "remove links" command.

Sam
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
jlm  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2022 4:56:59 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
The "unlock all" issues...

It's definitely very, very real for me. Colors of individual gchangeeomety (sokids, surfaces, curves, text) on their own in my files. It happens spuriously, with no hint it's about to happen.
, MPSchmied.

Hello,
I don't understand what you mean with "unlock all".

If you mean "Remove links" as mentioned by CreativeCAD, I agree it leads to a dead end.
I never use that function

JL
creativecad  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2022 6:15:17 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
He is talking about lock all layers in concept explorer and then using the undo. I just wondered if the undo was not working because perhaps he tried to remove links since that does mess up the undo stack.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
ZeroLengthCurve  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2022 1:25:52 AM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Hi all,

I found an older file where "Unlock All" when undone correctly reverts to the desired state.

I right-clicked on "Unlock All", then via the menu bar clicked on "Undo", explored various layers, and they were not destructively non-undoable.

Maybe I'm overloading more tecent files, or I've somehow corrupted newer files?

Anyway, thanks for feedback/interaction.