logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boydage  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2022 3:58:18 PM(UTC)
boydage

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Designing a piece of equipment that I am cutting out of 6061 Aluminum.

Aligning all my components (this case linear rails), creating drilling holes for assembly. I have found that the centre-line of a series of bolt holes are centers 216.968mm apart. I dont know how this has happened. Everything south of this dimension lines up perfectly. In this case, I am using M8 bolts the part I am screwing on has 9mm holes. So as for the assembly there is no problem if I am 0.032 in or out.

My question is about the CNC work. I dont think that my machine will care if its drilling a line of holes 217.000mm apart, or if its 216.968mm apart. Have I made the correct assumption? I do remember someone talking about tramming vices once there was something about discrepencys there. Probably not related.

Also - like - when is SharkCad going to be able to export metric STEP files and not have them change to Imperial!?!? Far out, I think I have given them a lot of money they just dont seem to care about bugs at all huh? Pride in our product huh.

Anyways please lmk thoughts about this dimension thing. Rgds
thanks 2 users thanked boydage for this useful post.
GARLIC on 8/13/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2022 1:19:13 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
The accuracy is dependent on your backlash of your machine. If you know your backlash, compensate for such. The CAD software is very accurate. if you draw 100mm holes apart, it should be as such in CAM. But the machine tolerance is always a big factor. I mainly work in 4 decimals.

Regarding .stp files, those are unitless. So if you are working or importing in inches, it will import in inches. Maybe someone can add more to this. I basically work in inches. I get files from all over the world and I have never had an issue. If someone drew it in metric and export, you should be able to import to either metric or imperial and the scale will be maintained. Note that there's no option to import either in inches or imperial when selecting import .stp. So if you hare working in metric is should covert to metric despite someone drew it in inches.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thanks 2 users thanked rockyroad_us for this useful post.
GARLIC on 8/14/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2022 4:07:41 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Everything you do on a CNC machine needs to be aligned to the machine for sure. So the vice jaws, table etc needs to be perpendicular to the spindle yes.
As for programming the drilling of those holes, depending on the software you use for programming you can normally pattern the hole anyway, so just use the CAD model as a reference point.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2022 10:27:55 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rockyroad_us Go to Quoted Post
Regarding .stp files, those are unitless.
No. The stp files are always in imperial and cad programs know this and if you work in metric, the values will be converted automatically. This mean, however it works, it is possible to find out that the file is imperial.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 2 users thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
GARLIC on 8/14/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)
rockyroad_us  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 14, 2022 2:54:27 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I would not know how you will get whether it was made in imperial. Like you said it gets converted. I just tried importing to my bobcad program working in metric while I drew the CAD in inches and the convertion is fine. I don't really need to know whether it was drawn in inches. It just imports correct to the units you are working.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thanks 1 user thanked rockyroad_us for this useful post.
specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)