logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dav01  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:27:34 AM(UTC)
Dav01

Can anyone confirm what revision of Catia V5 is actually exported using V10/V12.
There is no granularity when selecting V5 as an export (which would be fantastic), unlike many of the other export options, and so you are at mercy of the system.
I work with a number of clients and they use Catia V5 revisions from 18 up to 24 - No one I deal with actually uses the latest revision as it takes so long for these to be validated by their large IT teams.
My actual issue is that version 8 FX of Sharkcad crashes when I try to export these parts (simple step format bolts) and I cannot open them in Catia V5 Revision 24 as they are a further revision along when I use V10.
I currently don't have access to the step translator in Catia, that is an optional extra in Catia, and incidentally costs far more than a full Sharkcad pro licence and I do appreciate the number of import/export options which is the main reason I have Sharkcad in the first place. I'd rather stay here than move over to a pure viewer such as 3D-Tool as sometimes its convenient to modify the data.
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:13:52 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I've asked and didn't get an answer. I too work like you and sometimes the customers need V5 part for programming. I have a catia check version as when I was testing this Shark software v10 or 11 at the time I passed an exported file to someone I knew working in R21 and it gave a revision error.

I passed this on probably about 12 months ago and heard nothing.

Hopefully someone might know?
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/19/2020(UTC)
posh.de  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:53:12 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
go to the Shark subdirectory "\exe" and select a file of the used CATIA library as e.g. "CATGeometricOperators.dll", right-click and select "Properties > Details" for the release date which can be compared with the CATIA release history.

For an exact version information save an empty file, open with a text editor and check (around) line #24 for the version information, alternatively searching with "V5R" shoud yield a result. My SCP v10.0.0 (build 1354) does show "V5R25SP0HF0".

hth
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:22:14 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post
go to the Shark subdirectory "\exe" and select a file of the used CATIA library as e.g. "CATGeometricOperators.dll", right-click and select "Properties > Details" for the release date which can be compared with the CATIA release history.

For an exact version information save an empty file, open with a text editor and check (around) line #24 for the version information, alternatively searching with "V5R" shoud yield a result. My SCP v10.0.0 (build 1354) does show "V5R25SP0HF0".

hth

So release 25? If so why? I had this discussion with them and that export should be in like R14 or earlier to ensure everyone can open it?!?!
posh.de  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:34:11 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
So release 25? If so why? I had this discussion with them and that export should be in like R14 or earlier to ensure everyone can open it?!?!

because the recent translator revisions regularly do contain all the latest bug fixes and improvements (as w/ every data ecchange format) nobody wants to decline. Having the choice to select the CATIA version to export too would be the right way.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:36:21 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: posh.de Go to Quoted Post

because the recent translator revisions regularly do contain all the latest bug fixes and improvements (as w/ every data ecchange format) nobody wants to decline. Having the choice to select the CATIA version to export too would be the right way.

This is true. So if customer don't have r25 import then it's v4 all the way. Same thing essentially.
UGMENTALCASE  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 6:46:20 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

In fact, thinking about it. If they have had these translators for years on end they probably could implement a version selection tool to it
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/20/2020(UTC)
posh.de  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 7:02:55 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

If they have had these translators for years on end they probably could implement a version selection tool to it

depends, if the used CATIA license does cover ine resp. the latest version only...
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de