logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dexter  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:00:29 PM(UTC)
dexter

Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, 2.16, 256MB RAM Vid Card, 2 GB RAM. Latest OS X.

Even a seeming basic model doesn't rotate around as smoothly as even SolidWorks on Parallels.

Maybe it's a bigger issue, or something that will be alleviated with Leopard?

Saw it mentioned in this thread, too:
http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=94

It's not a show-stopper at all, just looking for tips...thanks.
ttrw  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:23:48 PM(UTC)
ttrw

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Dexter :)

Well there's all kinds of possibilities here- and some (most) of them may not be CU/ViaCAD's fault. Like the Mac hardware- especially the graphics card. It's interesting that Apple have recently dropped all of its support for ATI cards in recent models. Those cards may just not be up for 3D work, because as you know, most CAD developers, sadly, are Microsoft only. Having said that, I do get video drop-out problems with Solidworks running in bootcamp. I'd blame that on bad drivers (and a card that windows doesn't like very much).

But ViaCAD/ CU does look a lot better under OSX than it does under XP, and the same for Solidworks e-Drawings on OSX too. Solidworks on XP is quite rough, unless you turn the performance slider up (and even then, there isn't much improvement). However the CPU fan goes wild on this Macbook Pro while working in Bootcamp when running SW. Oddly enough, I think the Parallels virtual drivers are much better than Apple's own Bootcamp ones!

It's early days, and I'm confident that it won't be long before we see Solidworks on Mac (I mean, Rhino is now being released as a UB beta, and after all that fuss on their front page about telling Mac users to 'shut-up and get a PC'? hehe! Siemens/ UGS have also announced that they are committed to porting all their software to multiplatform- including Mac. I do hope that this also means Solid Edge too. So in the end, it is early days yet (pardon the contradiction and bad english there!), and I would imagine that there are even more performance surprises for our beloved platform :)

Another issue could plainly be that the Spatial kernel started life as windows-only, then got ported to Mac (I think on Apple's request?). It still may have problems that need ironing out. I don't know.

It's worth getting a copy of the freeware utility Onyx and buying a copy of Diskwarrior too. Both these apps help keep the computer in trim.

Tom.

PS are you in England, Europe or somewhere else? America etc? Just curious.
dexter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:35:48 PM(UTC)
dexter

I'm in the US...Pittsburgh PA, so it might as well be some far-off place :P

Yes, have Disk Warrior and Onyx (1.8.0 out v. recently...).

I'm hoping Solid Edge comes out for OS X - it definitely beats out SWX in my book, but it's so hard to beat Punch/ViaCAD/Concepts for ROI. Punch! is really all I'll ever need. Will have to attempt on an NVIDIA mac, which is inevitably in my future...

Thanks for the response!!!

D
NickB  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2007 12:25:49 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The sad truth is that Mac graphics performance is pathetic.

At one point I gave up on running large complex models on a mac and moved to a PC with a mid level (at the time) gaming card. The difference was like night and day, everything was smooth and fluid on the PC, while the Mac would wait a second then jerkily overshoot where I wanted to go.

Before moving last year from a PPC to Intel I went to the local Apple store, where they let me install CU and run tests on everything from a MacBook to the MacPro. Performance was very variable. Obviously the MacBook with its integrated GMA graphics was at the bottom of the list, and the MacPro with ATI 1900 was top of the list. The iMacs performed better than the MacBookPro's, but for some operations, all but the ATI 1900 were outdone by a two year old nVidia 5900 on a PC. To make sure that all my tests were accurate I normalized the CU window to about 1280 X 900.

The explanation has always been that the graphics cards drivers written by ATI and Nvidia are just not very good, and Apples implementation of OpenGL has some huge performance problems. Put the two together and you get the awful state of Mac 3D graphics that we have been living with for the last ten years.

Sadly if you want decent graphics performance for CAD or games, the only choice is a PC.
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
jol  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2007 2:56:02 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm not so sure

Try (for example) eDrawings on the Mac .. display performance is exceptional .. smooth and quick, like on a PC

It uses a thing called Hoops .. affiliated to Spatial I think .. to display geometry

Murmors suggest Leopard has much better OpenGL too

However, without the developers getting in there to optimise display on the Mac .. nothing is going to change, regardless of what you run it on

For a start, let's lose the judder when you start rotating a larger object .. try it - load up Assembly.cu from the examples file .. there is a noticable flicker at the start of every view rotation - drives me nuts - & it's been there forever ! It really exaggerates the perception that cu display is slow
ttrw  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:37:55 PM(UTC)
ttrw

jol wrote:

However, without the developers getting in there to optimise display on the Mac .. nothing is going to change, regardless of what you run it on

Okay. Agreed. It judders :eek:

However, save 'assembly.cu' (or in my case .vc) as a DWG file, then re-open in Solidworks e-drawings for Mac, the results are simply stunning when the model is rotated. I really do think e-drawings on the Mac looks better than anything I've seen on the PC.

I really DO hope that Solidworks is eventually released for the Mac- even though I have a legit copy on XP on 'the dark side' of this Mac. I haven't yet tried UGS Solid Edge and despite ViaCAD being mindblowing at that price, I still use SW 99.9% of the time, because it's so easy to use- and I'm pretty quick with it too. Making new planes in VC is really doing my head in :(
ttrw  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:34:45 AM(UTC)
ttrw

ttrw wrote:
I really do think e-drawings on the Mac looks better than anything I've seen on the PC.

Wrong!

I've just downloaded Bootcamp 1.3 which seems to have addressed ALL the graphic card issues on my Macbook Pro. The Solidworks GUI (on XP) now looks really stunning- almost too realistic :shock: .
jol  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:43:59 AM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think SW uses Hoops !?
ttrw  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:07:40 AM(UTC)
ttrw

Hoops? Hula Hoops?? :confused: LOL

Sorry for my ignorance Jol- can you explain?
dexter  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:09:11 AM(UTC)
dexter

jol wrote:
I think SW uses Hoops !?

Looks like you're right...here's one link (many pop up in Google):

http://www.hoops3d.com/customers/index.html#solidworks
NickB  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:48:50 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
SolidWorks is owned by Dassault Systems, who also own Spatial, perhaps we might see this in a future Spatial / ASICS release ?

Or is this something that Punch would put on top of the Spatial kernal ?
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
ttrw  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:23:03 AM(UTC)
ttrw

NickB wrote:
The sad truth is that Mac graphics performance is pathetic.

jol wrote:
I'm not so sure

Try (for example) eDrawings on the Mac .. display performance is exceptional .. smooth and quick, like on a PC

me neither (not so sure). I recently had a very similar discussion concerning the Mac graphics capabilities on another forum with a chap who had recently 'switched' from PC to Mac, but he was basing his arguement on those stats that indicate which (graphics) card is faster than that card. Again, running e-Drawings on Mac shows a far different story. I've recently downloaded Bootcamp 1.3 and Apple have got the drivers just right. I too am using fairly complex assemblies and the MBP graphics performance is second to none- despite the SW site not recommending the Radeon X1600 card.

Why on earth would Apple make the drivers worse for Mac OSX than Microsoft XP? It doesn't make any sense. So I'm really going with Jol's definition here, as I think it really is down to lazy coding carried out by developers and not actually Apple after all. For eg, take a look at Cheetah 3D (http://www.cheetah3d.com/about_3.php)- that rendering and 3D animation is amazing! But Cheetah, AFAIK, is only made for OSX.