logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gjames  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2024 3:47:28 PM(UTC)
gjames

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I got a new SpaceMouse Compact and have been setting it up for use with ViaCAD Pro v10 and found that the input is so sensitive when moving a model around it moves other axis' when you don't want it to.

There is a way to adjust what is referred to as Dead Zones. For some unknown reason the 3DConnexion software doesn't allow you to adjust this via the Settings UI.

Many of you may already know this but I felt sharing might be helpful as I had to dig for this information.

First I learned the settings are application specific. You have to have ViaCAD running and active while the 3DConnexion Settings are open. You should see 'Concepts' displayed at the top of the Settings window to control the application-specific settings for ViaCAD.

From there you click on Advanced Settings to control the speeds for each axis.

After you complete these step 3DConnexion writes an Concepts.xml file to the user folder in Windows (e.g. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg).

Using an XML Editor (I used Notepad++). you can edit this file and add the Dead Zone settings for each Axis.

In the <Devices><Device>...</Device><Devices> section there are <Input>...</Input> sections for each axis. You need to add <Deadband>VALUE</Deadband> to each of these to have the SpaceMouse ignore inputs from 0 to the setting you set for Deadband.

EXAMPLE:
<Input>
<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID>
<Min>-512</Min>
<Max>511</Max>
<Deadband>100</Deadband>
</Input>

A value of 100 seems to work for most of the Axis' but others I had to go as high as 275.

I just kept playing around with these until I got the behavior I liked. Now my SpaceMouse works well with ViaCAD Pro, so well I was able to increase the Speed on many of the axis' which I initially had to lower as the behavior was causing other axis' to move when I didnt' want them to.

I hope this helps someone else and saves them the brain damage of figuring this out. Enjoy!
thanks 4 users thanked gjames for this useful post.
Keith2019 on 7/15/2024(UTC), GARLIC on 7/16/2024(UTC), damhave on 7/16/2024(UTC), CADCAM on 8/13/2024(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2024 2:36:13 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 106 post(s)
I have such a SpaceMouse but I don't use it because when rotating, I often change the rotation center. I also can't stand that with the SpaceMouse you can't rotate directly but can only change the rotation speed. The axis is not directly coupled to the rotation but is used for changing the speed, which I don't like.
The rotation functions of ViaCAD and SharkCAD are uniquely good, much better than those of the SpaceMouse. Additionally, the internal rotation functions in ViaCAD and SharkCAD work in-stream, meaning you can rotate while using another tool. (Alt+right mouse and Alt+right mouse and Ctrl for choosing another midpoint)
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 2 users thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
GARLIC on 7/16/2024(UTC), creativecad on 7/16/2024(UTC)
Claus2  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2024 6:37:05 AM(UTC)
Claus2

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Personally I’m 100% addicted to the Spacemouse. Having suffered from strain in my right arm the Spacemouse has made it possible to offload all navigation to my left hand saving me thousands of clicks and moves every day. However I did buy one many years ago and thinking that I was supposed to use it with my right hand it felt useless so I eventually trashed it. Later I came across a tutorial on Youtube and bought the wireless version which I’m using now.

That said Tim sent me a beta of v15 and there seems to be something wrong with the mapping of the Spacemouse with this version. I did report it but hve not heard if it has been addressed.
thanks 2 users thanked Claus2 for this useful post.
GARLIC on 7/17/2024(UTC), MPSchmied on 7/17/2024(UTC)