logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ultrahawkeye  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2023 11:56:14 AM(UTC)
ultrahawkeye

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!

The attached picture shows two square which I've used for demonstration. The upper square I can push/pull with impunity. The other square below (attached to the object behind it) won't let me push/pull for love nor money. They were both created seconds apart from each other and are on the same workplane but may not be next to each other in the work space. I've tried with different shapes and in different locations but I'm trying to draw something and pul it off the side of the object and it will not let me do it.

Edited by user Monday, February 20, 2023 12:00:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 1.49.20 PM.png (1,978kb) downloaded 22 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
MPSchmied  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2023 1:52:27 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
The under square seems to be not closed.
Push and Pull works not with groups.
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
ultrahawkeye  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2023 3:14:18 PM(UTC)
ultrahawkeye

Originally Posted by: MPSchmied Go to Quoted Post
The under square seems to be not closed.
Push and Pull works not with groups.

Both squares were created the same way with the same tool.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2023 4:49:04 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Can you post the file?

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
ultrahawkeye  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2023 7:36:41 PM(UTC)
ultrahawkeye

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
Can you post the file?

Tim

I tried uploading it but it was 20MB (although there's not really much to the drawing).

Here's the link to the file. https://drive.google.com...4M9ARMW/view?usp=sharing

Kevin

Edited by user Monday, February 20, 2023 7:41:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2023 11:19:49 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)

Thanks Kevin for posting the file. Push pull for curves looks for curves in the current work plane. So you would need to reset the work plane for those additional curves.

That is not very intuitive so I have added better prompting and the ability to push/pull pre-selected curves independent of workplace orientation.

There are 28K solids in the file causing it to hit the 20MB size. Most look to be delete pending so you can do a File : Compact : PurgeDeleted to reduce file size.

I've also added to our to-do list to update this tool to identify any planar set of curves irregardless of the workplace. There was originally some performance issues that I think we can now get around.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 2 users thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 2/21/2023(UTC), specktech on 3/9/2023(UTC)
ultrahawkeye  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2023 3:50:20 AM(UTC)
ultrahawkeye

Thanks Tim.

However, both of these objects were created using the "side" workplane one right after the other. They are simply not coplaner with each other. I tried making one coplaner outside of the solid to see why it was causing problems and it wouldn't make one that I could push/pull there either.

Kevin
MPSchmied  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2023 10:42:34 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ultrahawkeye Go to Quoted Post
They are simply not coplaner with each othe
Workplanes are very easy created with the Function "Worklane> Select Objects" In Shortcuts.ini :
Code:
Planes:Select Objects=B
I use the B-Key for it. Dont forget to place the origin and you can test the new workplane with
Code:
Planes:Show Work Plane=f

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
specktech  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2023 12:50:14 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I have also experienced this. Many times the push pull tool will not work. But one trick I have found. Pull it from the opposite direction.
Ctrl copy your profile and move it to the opposite side of your model. Then push or pull the surface.
Many times if the push or pull tool does not work. It indicates you have a problem. Like a small gap. You can verify objects like this to see if they are correct.
Side note: These two functions of powerpack. "Feature selections", and "Utilities" are so valuable when it comes to modifying your models. Also so many times that push and pull tool helps me increase the thickness of internal surface dimensions.
Have fun.

Last thought: Quite often when the push or pull tool will not work. Select the normal extrude tool. Seems like there might be some geometrical limits that the pull tool does not like.

Just read Tim's words. That explains a few things That I will focus on. Making sure that the curves are on the same workplane. Thanks Tim.

Edited by user Thursday, March 9, 2023 1:00:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified