logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2023 8:41:16 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 22 post(s)
12 years now, and I am still not seeing a layer system that doesn't feel like some cartel dropped an anvil on Shark/ViaCAD. It feels like "If you intro that featue, we'll NUKE your company. Don't go there, and don't acknowledge even the request".

The duplicate layer is NOT sufficient. Exporting out and into is NOT sufficient, as it creates a needless upper layer with each export/reimport.

The team surely has the technical chops to do it. It seems like it's an artificial limitation that its not a featue. I've lost track of how many files I've ditched and restarted because its not possible to within a file or between files drag content with or without associativity to or from layers.

It's just pointers and addresses in a database, no?

If it's not in V14, I will skip until it's a feature. Other CAD apps allow it, and I don't want to needlessly export to other apps just to reorganize many hundreds of layers, only to destroy any layer object associativity or properties.

I'll even be ok with exporting the layer names to a CSV with layer IDS, sorting it out myself in a spreadsheet, and when do e pointing Shark at the new reorg file and waiting, even if it's 8 hours, for Shark to do the rest.

But, the spreadsheet interface HAS to be vendor agnostic. No deliberate focusing on only MS Excel. Go CSV, tab-delimited, or the like. Be kind.

It feels incredibly heartbreaking, stressful, and like a 500-lb wrecking ball to the chest that seemingly such a basic feature has not been introduced and matured.
thanks 2 users thanked ZeroLengthCurve for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/25/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/31/2023(UTC)
creativecad  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2023 1:39:57 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I like many of the layer features we have: sublayers, selecting everything in a layer, lock/unlock all, expand all/collapse all.

But I agree that it would be nice to copy, duplicate, or move a layer with all its sublayers to different hierarchies of layers.

I also think it would be great to make all of the sheets sublayers under 1 layer and maybe all model layers sublayers under 1 layer. This would allow us to lock or turn off all of the sheets at once while working on the model or turn off all model layers while working on the sheets. I have had several times where I accidentally picked up my sheets when I was working on the model.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to show the current work layer with the concept explorer collapsed or closed. Maybe showing the current layer in the inspector as well would be enough.

Also, my current build does do saved views which work until I close the program, but after I close the program and reopen it the next day, my views are zoomed way out which is really annoying to have to recreate them every day. I especially would like a saved view that works of my sheets that I can click on to go straight to the print sheets.

Thankfully, the main views usually go straight back to where I last was which helps a lot. However, we need a previous view command. So if I look at something in 3d, then click on the sheet view, I could click on previous view to jump straight back to my previous 3d view.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 3 users thanked creativecad for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 1/28/2023(UTC), jlm on 1/29/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/31/2023(UTC)
creativecad  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2023 1:51:19 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I agree importing and exporting can be a pain with the layers. I think if we had the ability to move layers up and down the hierarchy would help with this.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 3 users thanked creativecad for this useful post.
ZeroLengthCurve on 1/28/2023(UTC), GARLIC on 1/28/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/31/2023(UTC)
jlm  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 29, 2023 4:41:15 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: creativecad Go to Quoted Post
I agree importing and exporting can be a pain with the layers. I think if we had the ability to move layers up and down the hierarchy would help with this.

I agree !
The file I'm currently working on has 37 layers, each layer has at least 3 sub-layers.
Very often I get broken links when I move parts from one layer to another, or even crashes when I delete empty layers.

My thought :
with a more robust feature tree, better layer management and better MTS interface, SFX would be the best creation tool !
No need new functions...
thanks 5 users thanked jlm for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/29/2023(UTC), damhave on 1/29/2023(UTC), MPSchmied on 1/29/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/31/2023(UTC), Christian Hallauer on 1/31/2023(UTC)