logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CNC_Kid  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2022 11:07:48 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Ok, maybe Todd was just seriously mis-informed? Where's that Yankowiz lady to flag the mis-information?

v14, end of summer? Maybe Todd meant summer 2023?

Hi,

Tim is still with our team, and heading up development.

We are actually going to skip the number 13, so the next version will be V14 and its expected out by the end of the summer.

Todd
Technical Support | Customer Service
IMSI Design | www.TurboCAD.com
TurboCAD 2021 is here!
VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
thanks 1 user thanked CNC_Kid for this useful post.
specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC)
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2022 3:23:18 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Not intentionally, perhaps more a miscommunication on my side.

v14 Mac is coming out very soon...

Because of changes in macOS Ventura and restrictions due to a license issue for v12, we are going to push V14 out shortly.

Tim

Edited by user Wednesday, December 14, 2022 4:55:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 2 users thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
specktech on 12/15/2022(UTC), ctkjose on 1/20/2023(UTC)
CNC_Kid  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 11:53:34 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Because of changes in macOS Ventura and restrictions due to a license issue for v12, we are going to push V14 out shortly.

Tim

Can you provide any real ETA? What does "soon" mean from 29 days ago?

SDLC certainly has milestones and deadlines. Is there a calendar roadmap for this product?
VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
specktech on 1/13/2023(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 1:31:35 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CNC_Kid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Tim

Can you provide any real ETA? What does "soon" mean from 29 days ago?

SDLC certainly has milestones and deadlines. Is there a calendar roadmap for this product?

Is on the way !!!
File Attachment(s):
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 14.30.57.png (1,053kb) downloaded 26 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
thanks 2 users thanked Jean-Francois Jacques for this useful post.
specktech on 1/13/2023(UTC), MPSchmied on 1/13/2023(UTC)
GARLIC  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 2:27:18 PM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
In other words, v14 is Mac only, right ?
best regards
G.
thanks 2 users thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
specktech on 1/13/2023(UTC), MPSchmied on 1/13/2023(UTC)
specktech  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2023 2:10:18 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Sure seems strange that a program is advertised with all these modeling tools.

Then when you buy it, certain features have been removed. Certain features do not work.

Sometimes the program just completely locks up. Then they ask for us to send examples of the problems we have found. Nothing ever happens.

Now they are teasing us with a new version with fixes to old problems. But wait when the offer becomes available, You only have seven days to get it. Who knows when it will come out. But Mac users and Turbocad users. They get the upgrades first.

I always tell other people about Moi3d and Blender. But never once have I mentioned ViaCAD. I really like this software, But not very stoked with the path its taking. Makes me not want to promote it.

The next chunk of money I spend on software is on Rhino 7. I will wait to see if ViaCAD 14 is any better.

1. Mesh symmetry did not work 2. Wrap text is really hit or miss. 3. deform face tool is gone. 4. Mesh to nurbs is gone. I was always hoping that some of these problems would have gotten fixed. Its prob. another 100 dollars just to get these items fixed. Frustrating.

Please don't follow the path that Simplify 3d has taken. I was really stoked to see That Tim did fix the mesh symmetry function. But doesn't do much for pc users. Hope V14 shows up soon, and hope its not expensive.
UGMENTALCASE  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2023 7:18:58 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I saw the email too, and laughed. After seeing what is being reported in the beta section I find it hard to believe that anything other than a wip build would be released. There is no fixing the issues in V12 so why would V14 be any better?
I see there is so many things that all seemingly worked in previous versions is now being reported as broken!
I still say when V12 came out it had to be a wip or beta version. There is no way the concept explorer issue would've passed any sort of Quality Checks
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
specktech on 1/14/2023(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2023 10:55:41 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specktech Go to Quoted Post
I will wait to see if ViaCAD 14 is any better.
I guesss the Beta Forum is hidden because its not better and they won't hear our whining.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 1 user thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
CNC_Kid  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2023 11:08:46 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Originally Posted by: specktech Go to Quoted Post

The next chunk of money I spend on software is on Rhino 7. I will wait to see if ViaCAD 14 is any better.

I in same boat. VC3D and Power Pack costs + upgrade costs and software issues, makes other mature packages seem much more attractive.

The only thing with Rhino, sticker shock on upgrade costs, 60% on base $1k lic. I usually take 40% as an max number for an upgrade. Example, if the upgrade costs 50% of the original lic, am I getting 50% more features? Almost never, be lucky to get 5% new features. Some new model needs to be invented, like next 3 upgrades at no cost, but after that it's 40% of your original lic and then you get next 3 for free. That keeps people in the software, etc.

Question about Rhino. If one can use VC3D toolsets, how much of learning curve is there to get into Rhino?

Edited by user Friday, January 13, 2023 11:13:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
UGMENTALCASE  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2023 1:12:38 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
CNC kid it's fairly straight forward moi3d is a basic version of it. Great for surfacing. Depends what you need to use it for really. Don't think the drafting in rhino is existent or great?
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
2murray  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2023 2:31:43 AM(UTC)
2murray

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Rhino isn't a solid CAD app, it doesn't have physics or moments, and fillets, blends, offsets and shelling/thicknessing work differently, sometimes better than ACIS, sometimes worse, but it can be more controllable, if more complex because of the range of surface creation options. It doesn't have associativity, so if you want to edit a surface, you have to re-loft or recreate it through its generating curves, and it doesn't have a Concept Explorer, or any sort of history to jump into, so rebuilds are a start-from-scratch affair, not great for mechanical CAD. It's similar to AutoCAD in its command line, so with a bit of familiarity, you type a letter and it offers the options, all of the tools with the command that begins with that letter. It can be faster than hunting through a toolbar, but its commands are predicated on surfacing. McNeel is pretty focussed on drawing generation and that is improving, again in an AutoCAD vein with paperspaces. It has good inbuilt rendering using Cycles, the same renderer as Blender. Its parametric surfacing capability is unmatched in the price range, and V7 also has subdivision surfaces, and a mesh-to-nurbs capability from that that works something approaching the way T-splines did, T-splines was originally a third-party plug-in in Rhino and SW before it was bought up by Autodesk and incorporated into Fusion360. It also offers access to V8 (next version) builds, which has a shrink-wrap retopology capability that builds quad surfaces over other meshes, like InstantMeshes but more manually, and more transparently, probably more controllably.
Yeah, I'm banging the drum about Rhino. It's not a CAD app, but it extends the capability of any other CAD app as well as bringing its own surfacing capability, which no other program in its price range comes near. Very flexible and sensible licensing arrangements, too.

Edited by user Saturday, January 14, 2023 2:46:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked 2murray for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/14/2023(UTC), lightbulbjim on 1/14/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/14/2023(UTC), magicart on 1/18/2023(UTC)
specktech  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2023 11:08:23 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
What I find so amazing is being able to use all these programs together. And get the best functions of each software. Started using Rhino 5 trial. Then got Rhino 7 trial. The SubD and cage edit functions are so amazing. Takes some practice but its super straight forward. Moi3d and Rhino are like brothers and sisters. And many many times I will send my files into ViaCad and it blows me away how well it does so many things. The fillets just work so well. So I know that I will definitely get that V14 upgrade. Even if it still has some bugs. I will always use ViaCAD PRO. As FAR as visual enjoyment. Moi3D is my favorite. Then ViaCAD. then Rhino...But I am figuring out so much about Rhino. It can create some awesome graphics. I also use Alibre atom. Its really a good program but its tricky not having all the tools in higher versions. I really do like Alibre. And always have to send in some Blender. Some Wings and some Rocket 3f...he he Such awesome program's.
relaxibus  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2023 3:44:56 AM(UTC)
relaxibus

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 23 post(s)
All the SharkCAD/ViaCAD bugs and errors pushed me to show me around for a valid alternative. I also tried Rhino, but if you're used to work with ViaCAD... it really really hard to get used on Rhino. Just a simple task, changing a lines length or circle diameter... on Rhino is not so easy as in ViaCAD. Then I tried Shapr3D, very nice app. But you can't open multiple files at a time. Heee??? I use various files at the same time to copy paste, tests, etc. No, with Shapr3D this is not possible. So another app that doesn't fulfill my requirements. So I'm still stuck with PunchCAD for now. I'm waiting the native Apple Silicon version and Metal update. All other versions are not worth for me as any other CAD is much more faster and performant as ViaCAD. Even the open source FreeCAD.
I really like ViaCAD/SharkCAD much, but its long holding bugs over generations of versions are vey annoying. I report bugs here in the beta channel, but only few gets replied. So... what is the beta channel for? I mean, we pay a quite amount of money for it, so as we are the Punch beta testers, a response to ALL our bug postings SHALL be expected!
thanks 1 user thanked relaxibus for this useful post.
specktech on 1/19/2023(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2023 11:56:44 AM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Definitely each software has its bugs, I work for a long time with shark and I learned to work with its bugs. I can't work with Rhino because it's only for surfaces and more importantly it's not parametric and has no history. SolidWorks often cannot do operations for no good reason. I don't like the one part design logic in SW. Shark has a unique, simple and intuitive interface.... like Photoshop or Illustrator. Everyone has their priorities, I opted for this user-friendly interface and an accessible developer (Tim). The question is What level of performance are we looking for through one software or another?
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
thanks 2 users thanked Jean-Francois Jacques for this useful post.
MPSchmied on 1/16/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/19/2023(UTC)
CNC_Kid  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2023 3:15:18 PM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Just for clarity, Tim did make a post long ago, this forum site is not for tech support, so if you have bugs you need to rpeort them to Encore support.

That said, being told "v14 comes end of summer 2022" and you see nothing and no updates in Jan 2023, something is not right with their SDLC. If a version of crapple Mac is the issue, then skip supporting that version of crapple Mac.

I have seen other companies kinda do the same thing, look at simplify3D, their v5 was announced as coming out in 2019, but nope, it took 3yrs to release v5.

Punch PowerPack comes with "300 new tools". Why not just make one CAD program, put all the tools in it, put a price on it. I have ViaCAD Pro, now need to spend another $300 for PP?

And, gotta make a bug free app, or have ability to fix bugs quickly.
And, release a SDLC roadmap, and stick to it, if more resources are needed to meet the deadlines, then hire more resources.

Edited by user Monday, January 16, 2023 3:23:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
relaxibus  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2023 7:15:00 AM(UTC)
relaxibus

Originally Posted by: Jean-Francois Jacques Go to Quoted Post
Definitely each software has its bugs, I work for a long time with shark and I learned to work with its bugs. I can't work with Rhino because it's only for surfaces and more importantly it's not parametric and has no history. SolidWorks often cannot do operations for no good reason. I don't like the one part design logic in SW. Shark has a unique, simple and intuitive interface.... like Photoshop or Illustrator. Everyone has their priorities, I opted for this user-friendly interface and an accessible developer (Tim). The question is What level of performance are we looking for through one software or another?

I totally agree with you that Shark has a unique, simple and intuitive interface, that why I still stay with it. All others... Fusion360 is the only alternative candidate, but the learning curve for Shark users is high, and I don't like how steps file are imported and handled.
However this is not an excuse for user paying a considerable amount of money. Bug needs to get fixed soon. And as @CNC_Kid pointed out, all tools should be implemented w/o PP, just offer different versions and enable it and show in the tool bars.

All in one, I'm happy with Shark, just a lot of bugs in it, and on Mac the graphic performance are very low. I had a Mac Pro with 64GB RAM and a good graphic card. Slow. Now my Mac mini M1 is faster, but still slow. So the nativ Apple Silicon with Metal Support is priority #1 for me, along with the bug fixes. Don't need new tools, just a rock solid CAD experience.
CNC_Kid  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 12:36:54 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Originally Posted by: relaxibus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jean-Francois Jacques Go to Quoted Post

I totally agree with you that Shark has a unique, simple and intuitive interface, that why I still stay with it. All others... Fusion360 is the only alternative candidate, but the learning curve for Shark users is high, and I don't like how steps file are imported and handled.
However this is not an excuse for user paying a considerable amount of money. Bug needs to get fixed soon. And as @CNC_Kid pointed out, all tools should be implemented w/o PP, just offer different versions and enable it and show in the tool bars.

All in one, I'm happy with Shark, just a lot of bugs in it, and on Mac the graphic performance are very low. I had a Mac Pro with 64GB RAM and a good graphic card. Slow. Now my Mac mini M1 is faster, but still slow. So the nativ Apple Silicon with Metal Support is priority #1 for me, along with the bug fixes. Don't need new tools, just a rock solid CAD experience.

I loaded up Fusion 360 Personal. Total PITA to use it in offline mode. All your stuff gets uploaded to their cloud crud, I don't like that.

In regards to Punch and the PowerPack, it just doesn't make sense when you buy say ViaCad Pro. The "Pro" version should just have everything in it, and the std 2D/3D product have some features/tools left out. I get it, PowerPack is extra cost, but just do it either as up-front purchase for "Pro" version, or as an upgrade to Pro from std 2D/3D. The "Pro" version should just have PowerPack in it already, don't need a seperate sku for "PowerPack", etc.

I not sure who thinks PowerPack is worth the extra $300.
VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
Stefan Kehrer  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 4:28:33 AM(UTC)
Stefan Kehrer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi there,

yes, the un-fixed problems should be really fixed in a new major release,
otherwise it makes no sense.

We are not talking about freeware, we pay for it.

BTW: even free software can be pretty cool. That an application is for free,
does not mean that it is a cheap coded application.

Facing that, the UI could really be modernized.

Paying extra for the "PowerPack" is annoying as well that the "CADsymbols"
are not available for MacOS. Why is there a MacOS-application but addons
or tools etc. do not run on MacOS?!

There is realy space for improvements concerning several things.

Best regards!

Edited by user Wednesday, January 18, 2023 4:30:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Stefan Kehrer for this useful post.
relaxibus  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 4:29:01 AM(UTC)
relaxibus

You're right, ViaCAD PRO should have all in! No, $300 is too high as the most tools are for mesh stuff and Meshmixer cost is "0".
CNC_Kid  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2023 10:33:56 AM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Originally Posted by: Stefan Kehrer Go to Quoted Post
Hi there,

yes, the un-fixed problems should be really fixed in a new major release,
otherwise it makes no sense.

We are not talking about freeware, we pay for it.

BTW: even free software can be pretty cool. That an application is for free,
does not mean that it is a cheap coded application.

Facing that, the UI could really be modernized.

Paying extra for the "PowerPack" is annoying as well that the "CADsymbols"
are not available for MacOS. Why is there a MacOS-application but addons
or tools etc. do not run on MacOS?!

There is realy space for improvements concerning several things.

Best regards!

FreeCAD is a decent open sourced project, and it get's ongoing fixes almost on a daily basis. Cool free add-ons too, like FEM Workbench for finite elemt analysis.

I agree, we are paying ~$600 for Pro+PP, it should be mostly bug free, and new bugs fixed ASAP.

As for crapple Ventura, I see that OS is giving other CAD companies problems too. Time to put crapple OS on back burner, build on Windows 1st, then go back and fix the issues for crapple OS.

VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760
thanks 2 users thanked CNC_Kid for this useful post.
GARLIC on 1/18/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/19/2023(UTC)