logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
new2cad  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2022 7:41:25 AM(UTC)
new2cad

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello everyone,
my build of viacad pro V12 is 1592 is this the latest build?
if not, can someone point me to where I can get the latest.
Thank you
Vic
thanks 1 user thanked new2cad for this useful post.
specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)
Subccowboy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2022 7:08:52 PM(UTC)
Subccowboy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I believe it is 1596. Email support and they will get you sorted with the latest.
thanks 1 user thanked Subccowboy for this useful post.
specktech on 12/22/2022(UTC)
specktech  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2022 7:34:40 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I think the 1596 update is only for Macs.At this moment, I also am a Viacad pro V12 user. I know all the high level ViaCAD users and Shark users know this. But this helped me so much using ViaCAD... Always use your point tools to snap to your grid point's.....Zoom way in to verify exactly where you are snapping. Set up your nudge control and set it to 0.001 or even better 0.0001....It is so amazing getting this kind of accuracy. Many times you might think the snap is right where you want it.But it is actually slightly off. Always zoom in to verify where you want your exact snap point. Using the point tool really pin points your snaps. Also you really need to use construction lines.I always thought the logic cursor was snapping to exact positions. But zooming in you can see sometimes its slightly off. This also really helps using your trim functions. I use a bunch of different program's But ViaCAD always just amazes me. Almost every model I create gets tweaked and fine tuned in ViaCAD. "Question" Does anyone know if you can change the pan function to the shift key? I have tried so many times to change this. Seems like the program won't allow this change. Spacebar works good. But most of my other programs use the Shift key to pan. Happy Hollidays Via Shark users. p.s. one last thing that really helped me. Use the points along curve function and set it to like 10 or 20. Really helps you segment shapes and lines accurately. One more tip, Grab your model and locate a point along the bottom edge. And pull it down to the origin point. Really helps set your model on the floor/grid. Then just pull it where you want with the gripper. If any of you guys have any tips that you have figured out along the way. Please share them. I want to learn all the tricks. Peace out.

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2022 7:36:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Missed words

thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
creativecad on 12/31/2022(UTC)
MPSchmied  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2022 8:21:16 AM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: specktech Go to Quoted Post
Spacebar works good. But most of my other programs use the Shift key to pan
Shift is needed for Multi-Select. Ctrl+Shift are used for the In-Stream-Zoom-Commands. For Rotating can you use also the middle mouse button.
Grab your model and locate a point along the bottom edge. And pull it down to the origin point. Really helps set your model on the floor/grid.
Use just the Translate-Tool and follow the hints "Select move start reference point" and go then to the Precision-Point Window. This can you open at the symbol over the inspector-symbol. With this can you setup the end reference point to your Zero-Point. I never use the grid. Do you really need a grid for your work?
Zoom way in to verify exactly where you are snapping.
Use the In-Stream Zoom Commands. For it. Sometimes it is really hard to snap the right point. But sometimes help me to create a new work plane and changing the snap filter to Plane only. You can change the Work plane to a face with "Work Plane> Select Objects". I set my work planes always with Work-Plane> Select Objects. I have a Keyboard Shortcut for it, this is the best method for changing work planes.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 3 users thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
GARLIC on 12/22/2022(UTC), specktech on 12/31/2022(UTC), creativecad on 12/31/2022(UTC)
specktech  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 11:40:17 AM(UTC)
specktech

Thank you for those tips. I always thought using the grid was the best way to get things lined up. I have been modeling this item early today, And been having such a hard time getting things aligned correctly. I snap exactly to the centers of circles. And snap to the end points. Everything looks so perfect. Then I zoom in and all my alignment and points are slightly off. I think I read somewhere about screen resolution can be a factor in this area. I do have a good monitor so I'am not sure if this would be a factor. I have a feeling there is some methods I might not be doing correctly. Normally I can get this dialed in. But sometimes I just struggle a little getting things lined up with the correct workplane. I have used that transform tool some. But guess I need to go back and use it more.
File Attachment(s):
12-31-2022 Working on Quad frame A1.PNG (498kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
specktech  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 11:57:29 AM(UTC)
specktech

I downloaded this model I have been working on. This doesn't show exactly what I was doing. But I was drawing another sub-frame that connects these parts together. and using this as my reference. I use wireframe alot and pinpoint all my snaps. But just struggle sometimes getting everything on the right plane. I do use that 3 point workplane to set my workplane. But I have not been using that transform tool very much. I have this crazy accurate printer that I make all my parts on. Its so amazing to draw up parts and then very quickly have them in my hands. Using ViaCAD v12 pro with Super Slicer and my Elite Machine Works UXl. Absolutley amazes me. Any tips you ViaCAD and Shark users have. Please share. I read everything I can. Bound and determined to Master ViaCAD.
File Attachment(s):
12-31-2022 Elite Machine Works UXL.PNG (842kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
specktech  
#7 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 12:21:09 PM(UTC)
specktech

I will draw up my internal sub frame again. I got so frustrated trying to get things aligned I decided to start over. I have drawn up so many different parts now. And most of the time I can get things super dilaed in. But I think using parts I have modeled then importing them into a single file, Then drawing on top of them as a reference is just causing me more complications. I know I need to use the layers more often and get a better workflow. Constantly learning new things. I was getting many out of plane errors this morning. I always use the other views, especially the front view. Dropping down construction lines and pin points. But Still just find it hard to get everything lined up exactly where I want it. Any tips or ideas on aligning items would be awesome. Thanks again. And Happy New Year. A big question I'am super curious about? Is it a bad practice to use the grid. I get so hung up when I snap to these grid lines. Then when I zoom in they are not correct. Does zooming in show the exact accuracy. Or can that be decieving. So curious if maybe I should just work in open space and not be using the grid.

Edited by user Saturday, December 31, 2022 12:37:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Corrected wrong letters

MPSchmied  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 1:09:25 PM(UTC)
MPSchmied

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Does zooming in show the exact accuracy.
No. If you snap the right point, you can trust that the geometry is 100%. The accuracy on screen is never 100% in ViaCAD and Shark. The Graphic Cards know only triangles.....

Assembling is sometimes a pain. But the translate-tool and the other tools in this palette is still the best way. If you use the grid, i guess you need setup the right spacing in the Settings before.

When you have only models without plane faces, the 3 points plane is maybe better if you are able to snap the right 3 points.

OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 | RAM: 32 GB | Graphic: AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 | Shark FX 9 Build 1162 | Unit: mm
thanks 2 users thanked MPSchmied for this useful post.
creativecad on 12/31/2022(UTC), specktech on 1/1/2023(UTC)
creativecad  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 1:13:30 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
One trick I do is use regular lines to be construction lines. When I want a guide at a perfect 90 degrees, I draw a line at 90 degrees. Then I verify the line is 90 degrees in the input boxes top of screen, or in inspector. I can verify the length and angle of any of my lines this way. This combined with using the workplane snap to keep my drawing on that plane helps.

Circles and arcs has proved challenging. Sometimes the monitor does not display circles and arcs quite accurately when you zoom in far. Make sure they are set to super fine resolution.
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 1 user thanked creativecad for this useful post.
specktech on 1/1/2023(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 2:20:39 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
You can edit the super fine resolution in the text file so the resolution is better than the one you get as stock
thanks 2 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
specktech on 1/1/2023(UTC), MPSchmied on 1/1/2023(UTC)
creativecad  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 31, 2022 6:50:34 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
You can edit the super fine resolution in the text file so the resolution is better than the one you get as stock

You are teaching me something new.
How or what text file?
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 1 user thanked creativecad for this useful post.
specktech on 1/1/2023(UTC)
specktech  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2023 9:14:56 AM(UTC)
specktech

MPSchmied that Ctrl+Shift instream zoom command really stoked me out. I was not using that command. Thank you so much. That instantly helped me. Thanks so much for sharing these tricks and tips you have learned.
specktech  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2023 9:24:52 AM(UTC)
specktech

Thank you so much for those tip's I was so curious about this. Thanks creativecad and MPSchmied I keep reading your posts and they make so much sense. I go and try these techniques and it is so awesome to learn a new method. These tips about the screen resolution really helped my understanding.
specktech  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2023 9:31:07 AM(UTC)
specktech

UGMENTALCASE Is that the setting in the preferences page. The super fine setting? Really appreciate any tips you have found along the way. Have a good one UG.
UGMENTALCASE  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 1, 2023 12:19:02 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
UGMENTALCASE Is that the setting in the preferences page. The super fine setting? Really appreciate any tips you have found along the way. Have a good one UG.

It's in the preferences text file. If I remember rightly it's in the c:users/app data and so on folder. In the folder is a few files which you can open in notepad.

You open up the text file called something like spref or something like that and it has the 3 settings in it. Course, fine and super fine. They are listed as 8.0000 and so on. The super fine is like you can change to 0.01 or something like that and it'll be nice and smooth
You can change the setting in the preferences interface as well, think you pick from a drop down surface and then change the resolution, then solids and so on

Update
The file is called resolution.ini
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Punch!\SharkCAD

Edited by user Sunday, January 1, 2023 3:56:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
damhave on 1/1/2023(UTC), creativecad on 1/1/2023(UTC), specktech on 1/3/2023(UTC)
specktech  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2023 1:06:47 PM(UTC)
specktech

I have been using that ctrl + shift in stream zoom command. I can't believe I somehow missed that function. It just locks in exactly where I want now. So many times I struggled to get snap points on curves and circles. Now I am having a much better time. So many times using ViaCAD I save my files with the words. ViaCad just amazes me. Thanks PunchCAD!
CNC_Kid  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2023 12:10:19 PM(UTC)
CNC_Kid

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Updates fopr v12? Where is v13? v14 should have already been released. SDLC for this product does not appear to be active.
VCpro v11-1417
Win10Pro 32GB
Xeon E3-1270-v3 3.5GHz
Asrock Extreme 9ac
Samsung SSD RAID5
nvidia GTX760