logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
edgemitchell  
#21 Posted : Sunday, July 24, 2022 5:04:18 PM(UTC)
edgemitchell

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am a long-time user of ViaCAD. Currently V12 2D/3D, running on a MacBook Pro / M1Pro. My needs are very modest--I do 2D drafting of model airplane plans, and these days use it strictly as a serious hobbyist. There's no money riding on my time anymore. But the amount of time it takes a simple drawing to save / autosave is just EXCRUCIATING anymore. Beyond that, the program does not save certain preferences---such as always drawing curves at superfine resolution---and it seems that every time I click on a line to copy it ---for mirroring, for instance---it appears to copy the entire DRAWING----I have duplicate lines and curves showing up everywhere. It's driving me nuts.

I've read several times on this forum that TurboCAD for Mac and ViaCAD12 are the same program. While I'd be unhappy to have to lay out more $$ for a solution to these annoyances, I'd do it if it was can anyone tell me if there are ANY differences in how TurboCAD behaves on an Apple M1 machine?
thanks 1 user thanked edgemitchell for this useful post.
specktech on 7/31/2022(UTC)
2murray  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 25, 2022 12:39:31 AM(UTC)
2murray

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 18 post(s)
There probably aren't any differences, but you could trial TC at no cost to determine that.
thanks 1 user thanked 2murray for this useful post.
specktech on 7/31/2022(UTC)
creativecad  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2022 4:07:06 PM(UTC)
creativecad

Man
United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 40 post(s)
If you guys are interested, I posted a video recently that shows off some of ViaCad's good features on Rumble. I hope to do some more videos if I get the time.

Here is the link.
https://rumble.com/v1ccd...-cad-program-viacad.html
ViaCad 10 Pro
ViaCad 9
Windows 10
thanks 4 users thanked creativecad for this useful post.
damhave on 7/28/2022(UTC), L. Banasky on 7/28/2022(UTC), specktech on 7/31/2022(UTC), MPSchmied on 7/31/2022(UTC)
specktech  
#24 Posted : Sunday, July 31, 2022 1:13:53 AM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
When I bought Viacad v12 pro with powerpack, I was sold on all the fancy advertising pages on the web. Really makes me sad reading that this amazing software is not getting fixed. I only have about a 1,000 dollars into it. But that was a big chunk of money for me. I have learned so many things with Viacad 12. And I feel it is my main go to program.I also have Turbocad deluxe for Windows, Alibre Atom, Moi "Moment of inspiration", Blender, ViaCad v12, DesignSpark mechanical, Rhino 5, Simplify 3d, Superslicer, CamBam, It is so much fun learning all these programs. It just amazes me to draw up something and then 3d print it. I bought a super fancy 3d printer. Elite Machine Works Ultimate Xl. And I have a small 3040 cnc machine. I really hope that ViaCad and Shark continue. The flow when using ViaCad is so amazing. But I find lots of strange errors along the way. It is really interesting reading all these forums. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. p.s. downloaded Ryno 5 it is so amazing. I will definitly be buying Ryno 7 in the future. Also Moi is absolutely perfect. It works with ViaCad so well. And Blender has to be one of the coolest out there. So much to learn. Peace out.
thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
L. Banasky on 8/1/2022(UTC)
jlm  
#25 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2022 10:52:30 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Great stuff coming soon ... I guess !
thanks 1 user thanked jlm for this useful post.
specktech on 9/12/2022(UTC)
curtk  
#26 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2022 10:46:11 AM(UTC)
curtk

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
v14 is going to be released in a few months . Considering the length of time between versions I'm guessing that they are making sure it is a solid version , at least I hope thats the case

Edited by user Saturday, September 3, 2022 10:49:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 4 users thanked curtk for this useful post.
GARLIC on 9/4/2022(UTC), damhave on 9/4/2022(UTC), L. Banasky on 9/5/2022(UTC), specktech on 9/12/2022(UTC)
GARLIC  
#27 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2022 3:21:45 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 47 post(s)
thanks curtk. my question is very simple: what is vaporware and what are hard-core facts with regards to v14 ?
best regards
G.
thanks 2 users thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
damhave on 9/4/2022(UTC), specktech on 9/12/2022(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#28 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2022 9:37:10 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post
v14 is going to be released in a few months . Considering the length of time between versions I'm guessing that they are making sure it is a solid version , at least I hope thats the case

I can guarantee there will be something wrong with it 😂
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
jlm  
#29 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2022 2:01:40 PM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: curtk Go to Quoted Post

I can guarantee there will be something wrong with it 😂

I can guarantee there will be some improvements... ;-)
Some of the V12 bugs I sent recently have been solved...
thanks 1 user thanked jlm for this useful post.
UGMENTALCASE  
#30 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2022 3:20:09 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Although that sounds promising, it also overwhelms me with total disbelief!

The amount of issues I've sent in and been completely ignored on is literally unbelievable. Videos, test files you name it they have had it.

Then to find out that it seems you have had some dealings with them and it seems things are being fixed?

Goes to show that the "support" is just that. They just stopped responding to me, couldn't even justify my bug reports with a response.

So I take it you have been able to test a more recent version of the software or something?
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
jlm  
#31 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2022 7:18:46 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Goes to show that the "support" is just that. They just stopped responding to me, couldn't even justify my bug reports with a response.
So I take it you have been able to test a more recent version of the software or something?

Maybe it's the right time to re-send your bugs directly to Tim.

Any repeatable bug I sent him with a file and a video got solved ... but resending several times may be necessary. He's a busy guy.

After solving, sometimes he sends a software build so you can check again...
thanks 3 users thanked jlm for this useful post.
GARLIC on 9/5/2022(UTC), L. Banasky on 9/5/2022(UTC), specktech on 9/12/2022(UTC)
GARLIC  
#32 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2022 8:15:08 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

I do hope that Tim has still that energy and commitment to push the shark regeneration into a brighter future, the past was simply terrible and disappointing, to say the least...
best wishes
G.
thanks 3 users thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
L. Banasky on 9/5/2022(UTC), jlm on 9/6/2022(UTC), specktech on 9/12/2022(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#33 Posted : Monday, September 5, 2022 8:34:42 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: jlm Go to Quoted Post

Maybe it's the right time to re-send your bugs directly to Tim.

Any repeatable bug I sent him with a file and a video got solved ... but resending several times may be necessary. He's a busy guy.

After solving, sometimes he sends a software build so you can check again...

I have given up sending them in. It's kind of embarrassing the amount of times you need to repeat yourself whilst trying to help someone out!

I put in a complaint and requested a refund, they can't even get that right, been waiting since March. Every month they get a reminder sent to them. Every month I get ignored. I will continue to send a reminder until they final get sick of it, or I take it further. The software as it stands is simply not fit for purpose.

You may say Tim is a busy guy, so am I, so are a lot of people on here, we are busy trying to work around the shit bugs in his software that he doesn't fix. Busy finding the errors his team obviously doesn't do!

The last bugs (2 in one bounce) I sent to him. He fixed one sent me a new exe file to try (bug fixed - it was the solidworks export not working - as you'd expect). I asked if he had fixed the other, he replied no. I replied why? He didn't reply again. Sort of things my children do when they are getting told off.
thanks 5 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
posh.de on 9/5/2022(UTC), L. Banasky on 9/5/2022(UTC), GARLIC on 9/5/2022(UTC), jlm on 9/6/2022(UTC), specktech on 9/12/2022(UTC)
curtk  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2022 12:11:28 PM(UTC)
curtk

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GARLIC Go to Quoted Post
thanks curtk. my question is very simple: what is vaporware and what are hard-core facts with regards to v14 ?
best regards
G.

no idea , I only shared the answer to a simple question I asked while I was getting help from support .
thanks 1 user thanked curtk for this useful post.
lightbulbjim  
#35 Posted : Monday, September 12, 2022 3:43:56 PM(UTC)
lightbulbjim

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I think a lot of the angst about the future of the software could be resolved by better communication. I for one would be very happy to see announcements and discussions on the forum from the team about things they're working on etc.

The other thing is the way updates are handled. There doesn't seem to be an official way to check for newer versions (the version check in the help menu has never worked for me). When new versions are released they are usually only discoverable by somebody (non-official) mentioning second hand links in passing. Even then there is zero documentation/changelog etc with updates.

Official support seems to adopt the same attitude. I for one have encountered show-stopping bugs, and when I contacted support about it was told "please try this new version", with a link but no further explanation or documentation. When I followed up asking for a list of changes in the new version I was ignored.

I know I'm only complaining in this post, but really, software like this needs transparent communication between the developers and customers to build/maintain trust. I know Shark is cheap compared to some industrial options, but it ain't cheap for hobby users like me. There is much room for improvement when it comes to communication.
thanks 3 users thanked lightbulbjim for this useful post.
L. Banasky on 9/12/2022(UTC), GARLIC on 9/13/2022(UTC), specktech on 11/11/2022(UTC)
GARLIC  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2022 4:16:14 AM(UTC)
GARLIC

Man
Germany

About the future:::Lively diskussions + feedback - imho - are essentials of positive marketing: the devs listen to their customer base and make use of that precious experience as input for constant improvements/innovations.

Just 2 great forums worth mentioning as a source of how communication should be alive:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/
https://moi3d.com/forum/

What a pity that we don't have it here.....
Best wishes !
G.
thanks 1 user thanked GARLIC for this useful post.
specktech on 11/11/2022(UTC)