logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boydage  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2021 7:52:31 PM(UTC)
boydage

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Latest project is I have a few molds to make for close seal foam arm and head rests.

Close seal foam is difficult to mold and to be honest I don't want to go full smooth inside my mold. Ideally, I would be able to somehow insert a grid type texture over the inside of my mold model and that would be able to be transferred to my CAM program and etched out with a sharp point of a chamfer end mill.

Does this make sense to anyone and does anyone know how I might achieve this? You know, the pattern could be 2mm diamonds, say 1mm deep, possibly not that small. I see some people stick vinyl inside their molds to get that look. I would like to use my CNC machine, and I would like to be different.

Still - I have no idea how to put this onto a model. Oh, BTW its got 3D curves.

Thanks in advance. B
thanks 1 user thanked boydage for this useful post.
specktech on 7/19/2021(UTC)
MaiFy  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 25, 2021 8:07:20 AM(UTC)
MaiFy

Australia

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Hi Boydage.
I would start by looking at Walter Reidinger's you tube chanel
There are lots of deep learning tips in his videos.

There are some great posts on the forum with perfume bottles with cut glass like finishes but I think they are symmetrical in nature

I think being a soft form object amorphous object makes it hard to achieve in viacad, however I am a bit old school in that I think more in the solid way of modeling than meshes and nurbs so some of the guys that use those tools might have some tricks. I don't know of a way of picking a surface and perhaps applying a dimpled or repeating pattern or texture to that surface.

Viacad has so many layers if you think about what you want to do then work and plan towards how to do it you can often get there.
That is why I like Walters Clips. They are not just tool tutorials but demonstrate the project development techniques.

Also I think and it all comes down to how long you want to spend designing an object, I would try and develop your basic object then put it up and perhaps see if some one can texurize it for you.

I have attached a quick mess around which might spark some ideas, by using the solid trim tool and off setting faces a smoother look could be achieved, but really I lack the modeling skill to get a commercial texture.

Edited by user Friday, June 25, 2021 8:11:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MaiFy attached the following image(s):
head rest1.JPG (53kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
thanks 1 user thanked MaiFy for this useful post.
murray  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 6:23:14 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
This might give some food for thought: http://forum.punchcad.co...ts&t=10027#post38316
thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
memphisjed  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 26, 2021 7:25:01 AM(UTC)
memphisjed

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If it is mostly in the x/y plane then just project whatever you grid/pattern onto your mold surface. On the cam side use an "engrave, trace, or project" tool path to the curves. The center of cutter will follow the curve in 3d space.
thanks 1 user thanked memphisjed for this useful post.