logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
specktech  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 2:34:07 PM(UTC)
specktech

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I was wondering if anyone could explain this process. I have been modeling using polygon mesh techniques, Then I sub D it a few times. But then I want to send it to Moi to smooth it out with nurbs. I read a bunch about how Viacad used to have this sub D to nurbs function. So I am trying to figure out this process. I have been learning so many cool things using ViaCad. Thanks for any hints on this process. p.s I think it just might be how I export it to MOI. I sent a few files to Moi but it just loaded in polygons. Wish I could have tried the sub D conversion in ViaCad before it was removed. Peace out ViaCad Shark users.
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 1:08:07 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
It got removed after v10. I believe it was a linked version of it in v9 so any edits to the mesh changed the nurb surface, then v10 simply just changed a mesh to a nurbs.
There maybe places that still sell the old version I'm not sure.
thanks 1 user thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
specktech on 5/30/2021(UTC)
1murray  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 8:02:05 PM(UTC)
1murray

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Have a look at IntegrityWare/NPower Cyborg3D. PunchCAD licensed their libraries for mesh to nurbs and it works the same way that it did in Shark/VC. Cyborg also includes quad remeshing/retopology of triangulated surfaces to quad surfaces, PPPro only had rudimentary capacity to change a tri-dominated mesh to a quad-dominated mesh, and mesh to nurbs was pretty fussy about it, sometimes it would hang forever attempting to work with meshes done this way. Tim (Olson, software development prime mover for Shark/VC and their offshoots) demonstrated good remeshing/retopo with 3DCoat, a subD modeller with automated capacity, and he posted a link to a pretty good freeware program called InstantMeshes, I've read that there's a successor/improvement to InstantMeshes too. Something I also investigated was Blender, it has two or three inbuilt retopo methods as well as several third-party plugins available at not very much money (compared to CAD prices!). IntegrityWare also does plugins for SolidWorks, Rhino, OnShape and some subD modelling programs too. I've just bought Rhino (total noob, can't do much with it yet) and its got its own quad remesher in V7 and a tool that they CALL mesh to nurbs, but which doesn't actually do that, you've still got to go to IntegrityWare for the real deal...or maybe MacNeel are intending to do that in-house in the future. Perhaps its worth approaching IntegrityWare for mesh to nurbs. An aero engineering software company do a third-party aero plugin pack for SharkVC, since PPPro had mesh to nurbs, the development's already been done, perhaps it was IMSI not wanting to go outside licensing cost parameters? Strictly speaking, for mechanical CAD reengineering, the most useful function is mesh to analytic. Mesh to nurbs is most useful for productionising freeform models, because the nurbs surfaces it creates aren't parametric, and for improving resolution and smoothing if you're radically upscaling a mesh model. In another way, the market is coming to it because most 3D scanning methods produce point clouds that are triangulated to mesh surfaces, which can then be converted to parametric nurbs surfaces with parametric blends tying them together. As Chris/Ug says, in V9 the nurbs object could be associated with a subD model created in Punch, limited usage but great when you need it.
thanks 2 users thanked 1murray for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/30/2021(UTC), specktech on 5/30/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 11:38:04 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Trouble is you read the v12 manual and it still says there is a microscribe plug in which converts point data to surfaces and has some good functions. If this is in there and hidden somehow then you can take a mesh, sample a point cloud from it, bring it in and surface the points.

There's a good few paragraphs on it and it looks really good.but it's a mystery where it is
thanks 2 users thanked UGMENTALCASE for this useful post.
GARLIC on 5/30/2021(UTC), specktech on 5/30/2021(UTC)
murray  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 5:47:59 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
More an issue with document editing than software QC. It does note at the bottom that it's Vista and XP, and as it says, it's live linking, you plug the device in to initiate it, the functionality only available when it is. Pretty much a legacy device these days. It's in Shark FX 7 & 8.
thanks 1 user thanked murray for this useful post.
specktech on 5/30/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 8:44:01 PM(UTC)
specktech

Thanks for those tips. UGMENTALCASE and murray. I absorbed that info. Thank you. Everyday I learn more with ViaCad. I really like the way a lot of functions work. But kind of frustrating using the trim functions, and dealing with the gaps. But slowly getting it figured out. The other day I tweaked and re-built this stl file from thingiverse then re-built the mesh with ViaCad then I printed it. That was sooo cool. Would you guys have any tips on the elusive gap's I have been reading and watching everything on the gaps. In one of Tim's vids He said the re-build tool only works on curves. Is that correct. The test I am doing: Just drawing up a simple triangle, dropping some lines across the triangle, then trimming to the edge of the triangle. Then trying to extrude. Getting those gaps. Sometimes its not letting me zoom in close enough to even see the gap. Tried fixing it with 0.00001 in the gap repair function. Even when I deep select the end of line and drop it onto the line/intersection it shows a gap. Then when I zoom in as far as I can, I can't even see a gap. Any ideas??? I did download that (Instant Meshes) The other day.

Edited by user Sunday, May 30, 2021 8:53:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added info.

UGMENTALCASE  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2021 12:13:01 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: murray Go to Quoted Post
More an issue with document editing than software QC. It does note at the bottom that it's Vista and XP, and as it says, it's live linking, you plug the device in to initiate it, the functionality only available when it is. Pretty much a legacy device these days. It's in Shark FX 7 & 8.

Yeah it does but this never happened. I had one when the info was in v11 manual and it wouldn't work. No extra toolbars or anything.
They are a good device (microscribe). Very handy and some good functions.

Edited by user Monday, May 31, 2021 3:23:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

specktech on 6/2/2021(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2021 12:15:54 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: specktech Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for those tips. UGMENTALCASE and murray. I absorbed that info. Thank you. Everyday I learn more with ViaCad. I really like the way a lot of functions work. But kind of frustrating using the trim functions, and dealing with the gaps. But slowly getting it figured out. The other day I tweaked and re-built this stl file from thingiverse then re-built the mesh with ViaCad then I printed it. That was sooo cool. Would you guys have any tips on the elusive gap's I have been reading and watching everything on the gaps. In one of Tim's vids He said the re-build tool only works on curves. Is that correct. The test I am doing: Just drawing up a simple triangle, dropping some lines across the triangle, then trimming to the edge of the triangle. Then trying to extrude. Getting those gaps. Sometimes its not letting me zoom in close enough to even see the gap. Tried fixing it with 0.00001 in the gap repair function. Even when I deep select the end of line and drop it onto the line/intersection it shows a gap. Then when I zoom in as far as I can, I can't even see a gap. Any ideas??? I did download that (Instant Meshes) The other day.

What I find is once trimmed if it gives errors use the corner trim. That would eradicate any corner joint problems.
If you have power-packed there is a fix gap option in there.
specktech on 6/2/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 9:40:37 AM(UTC)
specktech

Thank you for all your tips. UGMENTALCASE. And murray. I have been reading the tips and tricks tutorial everyday. And re-watching all the videos a few times over. But I realized I need to be studying that manual really close. Kind of amazing how much info. is incorporated into ViaCad. Everyday I figure out more amazing things. Overall I'am still so happy that I bought this amazing software. Hope someday I can model even close to Digital Phazer...So amazing what He does. Thanks again have a great day.
thanks 1 user thanked specktech for this useful post.
UGMENTALCASE on 6/2/2021(UTC)
specktech  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 9:27:45 AM(UTC)
specktech

I am slowly getting over all these little hurdles. I have been reading the user manual super close, and testing along the way. I was overlooking a few really important steps. Especially the right click select chain function. And also using the magnifier to zoom down into the gaps. Kind of amazes me how accurate this ACIS kernal is, 0.00001 No wonder its hard to see the gaps. Going back with a fine tooth comb I find these steps I was missing. Everyday I say Wow, When I see what ViaCad can create. Also learning how important it is to save very frequently. Reading about why cad programs lock up. It talks about how the stack counters get over run with data and can't handle the data overflow. Then it freezes up. Learning everyday. Peace out.