logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mpix00  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 1:47:53 PM(UTC)
mpix00

I have my own mold design business and was currently using ViaCad 2d/3d v9. I had to upgrade to ViaCad Pro 10 with the Power Pack Pro option, so that I can do 3d molds. I was currently only doing 2.5d molds. So I had to purchase a new laptop to handle this new software as my old lap top would not even import the obj.file into ViaCad Pro10. I am now able to import the obj.files, but when I try to use the mesh to analytic tool, It keeps freezing and stops ViaCad 10 and says the program is NOT RESPONDING?? My files are mostly 15mb and over. I did have one 5mb file that ran easily with the Mesh to analytic process, but then at the end of the process it said that the program could not turn the mesh into an analytic?? I have no idea what is wrong as I support my family and just paid out quite a bit for the new laptop and software upgrades. Has anyone came across this problem and might have some insight? Thank you for your time!

The picture attached is the point where it stops and freezes .. Right at the Mesh to Analytic process??

Edited by user Monday, February 6, 2017 2:04:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
20170206_145841.jpg (2,207kb) downloaded 37 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 2:11:25 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
I've had some files take hours to process. Private email your file and I'll run on one of my machines for comparison.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
mpix00  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 2:38:09 PM(UTC)
mpix00

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post
I've had some files take hours to process. Private email your file and I'll run on one of my machines for comparison.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I just emailed your Email with one of my obj.files attached. So , if the round process bar is turning still on Viacad during the mesh to analytic, even though the message is saying the ViaCad is not responding, does that mean it is still processing? Like you said, it might take hours?
CADCAM  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 9:53:40 PM(UTC)
CADCAM

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I'm fast become totally over this issue and waisting work time. Recently I upgraded to Shark in some vain attempt that this issue may have been resolved.

I'm running MacOS 10.12.3 with a 4gig i7 and 32gig ram.... and I cant convert any half decent mesh to a solid.. fullstop.

On some projects lately, I've simply had to abandon Shark and finish them in Autocad Inventor.. and although it can be slow in VMWare it never hangs.

I also noticed a difference between V9 and 10 in response... and I have no clue what is wrong or if this is a punch problem or Apple problem but something is definitely wrong with the engine.

Stephen
24c  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 18, 2017 2:23:13 PM(UTC)
24c

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Hi CADCAM & mpix00,

I know this a relatively stale thread, but "xxx is not responding" was a common trait when I was converting my 3D scans.
I had an old i7 27"iMac from 2009 and it literally took 36 hours to do anything, all the time the iMac was not responding in SharkFX v9.

I then upgraded to a later iMac with a 4GB graphics card and it took about 3-8 hours doing the same conversion. In the end I did a "retopo" to reduce the mesh size, and this does help speed things up.
However, there is a trade off with object quality, when you do this. My lessons so far are its doable, but no better than any others, and I've tried a few that run on OSX and in Windows using Parallels.

I also added a second 27" monitor, so I could still do other stuff while the iMac was processing in the background, and you could see it was still working by using the Activity Monitor.
I'm unsure whether it is an Apple issue, or Shark is not updating the OS with the right feedback.

As it happens, I got jaded by the whole process, and more importantly by the solid models having too many pieces, so that you couldn't change the models, as easily as I have seen with other hugely expensive PC software.
I'm hopeful things will improve, but for now the 3D scanning is on hold, and I just reverse engineer by measurement at the moment.

Mike

macOS 14.3.1 (Sonoma) - MacBook M1 Max 64GB 2TB SSD & external display - SharkCAD Pro v14.1.0 build 1652
CADCAM  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 31, 2017 1:49:30 AM(UTC)
CADCAM

Thanks 24c. I'm desperately trying to hang on in the hope that the performance issue is fixed...
CADCAM  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 9, 2017 5:19:41 AM(UTC)
CADCAM

So I've been keeping my eye on active monitor and one thing I noticed is shark never exceeds 7 threads... ever. Given some other heavy processes are using 60+ threads this seems weird?