logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
damiane  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 5:32:37 AM(UTC)
damiane

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
At the moment Tim and the guys are weighing up whether or not full HDR rendering from Lightwave will be implimented into CU/SharkFX 5. I for one have been wanting to see this technology added in for a couple of years now. I don't have the time to sit down and learn another program if I don't have to. I want to spend my time designing.

Perhaps as many of us as possible ought to lobby Next Limit Technologies to create a supported plug-in for CU now. I would buy it. For one thing it would give us access to a huge library of other materials which we cannot access at the moment. The material library in CU is pretty good but they are not easily editable.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/

Come on everyone. Lets see if we can get a plug-in developed.
jol  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:23:33 AM(UTC)
jol

Tim & co have now provided a path to Maxwell

It'd be great to have a Maxwell plug-in for CU .. but I think such development would be hard for them to justify

I'd rather lobby Punch! to get on and integrate the LightWork tech !
damiane  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 5:14:18 AM(UTC)
damiane

Hi Jol

Where is the path to Maxwell.

Damian
jol  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 5:22:50 AM(UTC)
jol

via Alias OBJ Export
jol  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 5:25:20 AM(UTC)
jol

However, I wish Scott would put an option in there to export with ..

.. Y is UP

As Maxwell works with Y is UP

Pleeease Scott .. love yer work !
Claus  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 9:49:12 AM(UTC)
Claus

Denmark

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 27 post(s)
As much as I love CU I feel that Tim & Co have a great fancy for features and a disregard for interface. The built-in renderer may be able to do some nice things, but the interface makes it hard and uninspiring to use.

And even more important, I will not render in an application that has no easy camera and perspective setup. I tend to export to Maxwell just to get a nice perspective walkaround which is difficult in CU.

I don't see the point in adding new render features if they are not presented to the user in a useful way.

Claus
damiane  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 10:03:33 AM(UTC)
damiane

I kind of agree. Ever since I moved over from Cobalt I have seen loads of people asking for improvments to the advanced rendering window and seen nothing really. I do feel that this is one very big Achilles heel being ignored by the team.
tmay  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 11:08:18 AM(UTC)
tmay

I agree with Jol on this. There is a path to Maxwell via obj, and that is sufficient for the time being.

I'm for the LightWorks enhancements, but mostly, I think that I would just like to have a timeframe from Tim, whether that would be a mid V5 service pack or full support in V6.

As a suggestion, it might be appropriate to provide the UI input early so that Tim can start developing the UI.

BTW, a big benefit of integration of Maxwell and SolidWorks is that Maxwell materials can be placed in the SolidWorks (2008) environment. On the other hand SolidWorks, Pro/e, VectorWorks and many other applications are based on LightWorks, so there should be a lot of materials available free on the internet that could be used in SharkFX.

tom
jol  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 2:35:55 PM(UTC)
jol

Good discussion !

One thing worth pointing out is that the advanced render panel did change considerably between V2 & V3

A big rationalise was done .. though I'll agree it's still unpleasant to use

The best & simplest LightWork interface I've seen was in FormZ .. believe it or not !?

LightWork themselves provide a plug-in interface .. I'm never quite sure why we don't use theirs !?

All that said ... as I've always contended .. if you can't freely spin around a big model without stuttering, beachballs and so on or count on the integrety of an object's history .. what does any of this other stuRf matter anyway

.. We even had the exact same debate going from Co 4 to Co 5 with the implementation of DCubed then
Tim Olson  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2007 9:24:12 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>As a suggestion, it might be appropriate to provide the
>>UI input early so that Tim can start developing the UI.

I'd love to hear ideas on revamping the photorendering UI to be more productive. We cant do it for the V5 release, but with all the new technology recently licensed, which is going to need UI developed, it would be appropirate time to think about.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
damiane  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 3:29:46 AM(UTC)
damiane

I e-mailed Next Limit Technologies who produce Maxwell and put the suggestion of them producing a plug-in for Shark. They replied this morning and said that they had no plans to support it but did provide a developer tool kit to create one.

I played a round with Bunkspeeds offering at the weekend but found that the Alias PBJ file I exported from Shark was pretty problematic. I had to export as a PC file as otherwise the Mac version iported very distorted plus I could not manage to export a multipart model as seperate pieces. Even if I applied different materials to it it still imported as one lump.
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 12:23:11 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>I played a round with Bunkspeeds offering at the weekend but found that

We've provided OBJ files to BunkSpeed several weeks ago. They are aware of the issue and fixing on their end.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
tmay  
#13 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2007 1:15:10 PM(UTC)
tmay

Tim,

Does Lightworks support multiprocessors/multicores?

tom