logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
API  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 7:31:00 PM(UTC)
API

We create molds like this almost every day. I don't think this rates with some of the renderings that are here but I thought I'd show what we do. We do approximately 250 new designs a year.
API attached the following image(s):
Thermo Fisher-61129c.jpg (380kb) downloaded 12 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2008 8:15:10 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Patrick - I didn't realise that's what you did !

You mill shapes out of big lumps of aluminium ?

I want to order tools for a rotomold of the Stingray Stool (see www.odechair.com) - and am rather nervous about it - being a big outlay for me. Can I tap you for some advice by email ?

PS are you able to post some CAD and respective cut mold - that would be great to see

Jol
unique  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 4:00:39 AM(UTC)
unique

Hi Patrick - Nice to see someone else on here using VC for mould tool design. What CAM system do you use ?
API  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:03:36 AM(UTC)
API

Jol, the molds we make are single sided thermoforming molds. The backside of the molds are machined for venting or vacuum only. The largest molds we make are roughly 36" square and 4" tall or thick. Some are 6061 aluminum and some are cast plate aluminum, MIC-6. I'm not sure if I can be helpful, but feel free to email me.

Paul, We use GibbsCAM version 7.7. The new version has an totally re-written tool path engine so I think we are going to upgrade. We xfer files using DXF with imbedded SAT files, which works some of the time, we xfer SAT files and IGES files. Most of the mold work is done on a Mikron HSM600 with a 36k RPM spindle. It cuts fast with good finish.

Patrick
tmay  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 10:34:25 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: API Go to Quoted Post
Jol, the molds we make are single sided thermoforming molds. The backside of the molds are machined for venting or vacuum only. The largest molds we make are roughly 36" square and 4" tall or thick. Some are 6061 aluminum and some are cast plate aluminum, MIC-6. I'm not sure if I can be helpful, but feel free to email me.

Paul, We use GibbsCAM version 7.7. The new version has an totally re-written tool path engine so I think we are going to upgrade. We xfer files using DXF with imbedded SAT files, which works some of the time, we xfer SAT files and IGES files. Most of the mold work is done on a Mikron HSM600 with a 36k RPM spindle. It cuts fast with good finish.

Patrick

I'm at GibbsCAM 8.31, but I got tired of waiting for a surfacing upgrade so I added Pro/Toolmaker (I seem to recall that unique used the ncgraphics version before PTC bought the company, but moved to another package) and I just upgraded to version 9.0, which now adds (optionally and at additional cost) 4th and 5th axis surfacing (it was 4th and 5th axis positioning in 8.0). I haven't used Pro/Toolmaker for a major mold yet (I machine molds out of cast iron now and then for a local aluminum casting company) but it does promises substantially reduced machining time through more efficient programming.

I'd like to see what GibbsCAM 2008 looks like with the new surfacing engine (which coincidentally might be a licensee of ncgraphics technology), but I'm still waiting and there is a one year back maintenance penalty plus a year's forward maintenance to get current. Gibbs is part of Cimatron now, so maybe we will finally see some more timely releases.

I've dabbled with BobCAD/CAM V22 pro, which is a watershed improvement over previous versions, but I'm not convinced of it as being reliable for molds yet.

YMMV, but it can be had for a lot less money than the others.

Anyway, thanks for the mold image.

tom
jol  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 11:12:35 AM(UTC)
jol

Patrick .. ok, no problem - I guess the principles are the same but I suppose I need to ask someone doing molds specifically for roto applications. Thanks anyway !

Tom .. I've been cutting using a Russian product called Sprut .. silly name, but seems to do exactly what it says. Might be worth a quick read anyway
tmay  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 11:53:28 AM(UTC)
tmay

Originally Posted by: jol Go to Quoted Post
Patrick .. ok, no problem - I guess the principles are the same but I suppose I need to ask someone doing molds specifically for roto applications. Thanks anyway !

Tom .. I've been cutting using a Russian product called Sprut .. silly name, but seems to do exactly what it says. Might be worth a quick read anyway

Jol,

I did check Sprut out. If seems to be an excellent value and I'm happy that it is working for you. I'm probably going to vasillate between Pro/Toolmaker and a future GibbsCAM upgrade for my primary surfacing application.

As for the rotomold; I remember seeing one at a place that did injection molding, and it was for making model glider fuselages. It looke like it started off as a fabrication probably for weight and thermal conductivity, and then finished machined. There was a mechanism that spun the mold in various orientations in an oven to create a fairly constant material thickness on the interior surface as the thermoplastic material (I think it was a powder) heated and crosslinked into a solid. It looks like it would require quite a bit of experience to build a mold of the nature you are looking at, so I would think it best to talk to the people that will do the rotomolding.

tom
jol  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:19:32 PM(UTC)
jol

Thanks Tom ..

It's a 4 part CNC mold I'm after, so yes, it is quite complex. I've had various quotes. I'm just looking for the courage to commit what is for me at present a big chunk of cash. I'm also hoping to find a part backer. I feel I need to speak to somebody who's not trying to sell me something : ) .. and ideally someone who has done aesthetically critical surfaces in rotomolding. (many rotomolds are tanks etc and do not need particularly fine finishing).

The company I'm favouring is Italian as I reckon they understand such matters, certainly better than the Brits. Also they're cheaper.

I'm going to take my time and see how it unwinds. thank you both very much for your help - it's much appreciated !!
tmay  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 6, 2008 3:26:14 PM(UTC)
tmay

I checked and saw some copies of V22 Mill with dongle on ebay cheap if someone is interested in getting into CAM. There shouldn't be any issues importing IGES from VC or Shark.