logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
misterrogers  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:09:20 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Does anyone know what software exists for determining the most "efficient arrangement" for packaging of the individual components in a single box?

I know there's a lot of programs for determining optimum pallet arrangement and truck-loading to maximize load for shipping... But I'm not sure of their capabilities for what I'm concerned with here.
dexter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:09:29 PM(UTC)
dexter

Here is the first one I always see pop up (for years):

http://www.koona.com/qpm/

Never used it however...
misterrogers  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:04:53 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Thanks, I checked it out, but it appears to only be for how to arrange boxes on pallets and trucks.

I guess I should have explained it more.. I'm looking for software that will calculate the best arrangement for individual parts inside of a single box.

For example: a piece of knock-down furniture has 12 individual parts+bag of hardware. if i have a specific size box or carton to put it all in, what will be the best arrangement to stack it in so it all fits (plus styrofoam).

There's got to be one out there.. Any other ideas?
zumer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:04:09 PM(UTC)
zumer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
FWIW, the capacity you're looking for is called "3D part nesting", and it's also used for maximising the build envelope in RP machines.
misterrogers  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:34:26 PM(UTC)
misterrogers

Originally Posted by: zumer Go to Quoted Post
FWIW, the capacity you're looking for is called "3D part nesting", and it's also used for maximising the build envelope in RP machines.

Thanks Zumer. I'll look that up.. Like you say, maximizing build envelope.. It seems like the garment industry might use this type of technology to get the most cut/yield from a given fabric roll, although I'm interested in it primarily for packaging purposes.

I wonder if such a tool could be implemented within Shark.
Lazydrawer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:34:51 PM(UTC)
Lazydrawer

Hi,

maybe you'd find some ideas here: http://astrokettle.com/
Kevin Quigley  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:24:15 AM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

Try www.materialise.com for 3D part nesting for their Magics software.
Jean-Francois Jacques  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:15:46 PM(UTC)
Jean-Francois Jacques

Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hi Kevin, you are only a Junior Member! :) Welcome here! Don't worry after 100 posts you will be a Senior! ;)
METEORE DESIGN / KEKO Stand
Jean-Francois Jacques, Industrial Designer
SharkCad Pro V14 B1653
Platform macOS 14 Sonoma
NickB  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:36:57 PM(UTC)
NickB

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Kevin,
Welcome.

Does this mean that you are finally dropping Ashlar from your huge portfolio of 3D software and are moving to Shark ? I remember jousting with you back in the early days of Cobalt on the Ashlar forum.

For reference it might be interesting to introduce yourself given your highly knowledgeable background on all things CAD.

All the best.

Nick Brawne
Shark FX 9 build 1143
OS X 9.5
3.6 GHz Core i7, 8GB, GTX 760 2GB

matter.cc
Kevin Quigley  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:58:24 AM(UTC)
Kevin Quigley

Hi Nick and JF, nice to have a reputation :)

Yes I think it is fair to say I've moved away from Cobalt. To be honest I stopped using it in anger a few years ago. It just became too much trouble, but as I was using SolidWorks I never really saw the point in spending on an app that was so close to Cobalt. It is really only the last year or so I've kept an eye on Shark more, and as Cobalt has stagnated, Shark has developed, and the recent offer made it a no brainer for me.

The real decider was the CATIA v5 import. Fantastic.

I bought Shark because I needed a more flexible front end modelling solution and for situations where I need to churn out results REALLY fast (Cobalt was always great for that). I have been dabbling with Rhino for this type of stuff but I find the lack of associativity just too limiting.

For those who don't know me I run a small product design business in the UK doing all sorts of stuff from baths to medical products. The main CAD system in place is SolidWorks, but we also have VX, FormZ, SketchUp, VectorWorks and Cobalt for modelling and drafting, and Keyshot and Maxwell for rendering. I'm a great believer in one system cannot do everything!
jlm  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:26:45 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kevin Quigley Go to Quoted Post
Hi Nick and JF, nice to have a reputation :)

Hi Kevin,

It's nice to see you again here !

Last time we met on a forum I was Innovation VP of Coty cosmetics.
From 2006 on, I run a small "design and development" company in Paris, mainly working for Perfumes & cosmetics brands, but we also do other consumer goods.
It's called Cinqpats and part of my team is Mark Lebeau that I also met on this forum...

Kind regards,

JL