logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Exocubic  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2007 8:42:05 AM(UTC)
Exocubic

A competitor (SolidThinking) offers the ability to convert spline curves to arcs. This would be massively useful for creating tool paths with ViaCAD/Concepts3d/Unlimited. Would this be possible?
jol  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2007 2:14:06 PM(UTC)
jol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
agree strongly .. certain toolpath software seems to love cutting arcs .. and struggles with splines - breaking them down into a zillion little straight cuts
Exocubic  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2007 3:02:45 PM(UTC)
Exocubic

Yeah, the laser shop I use won't even accept a file that includes splines. There is a slick software program (Windows and Mac Classic only) called Bezarc that converts splines to arcs with tons of user control over the tolerances. It's $459 USD, though.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:15:02 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 353 post(s)
>>Would this be possible?

I think so. Today I experimented with a procedure that I think will work well creating a collection of arcs for any given 2d or 3d spline. See QT movie below:

http://www.csi-concepts.com/Demo/vc/SplineToArcs.mov
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jol  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:29:34 AM(UTC)
jol

Hi Tim

If that works as your movie suggests (presumably also on multiple curves that form an object profile for example) .. then it'll save oodles of time .. and make for very smooth profile cutting

In my admittedly very limited experience, CNC routers seem to love lines and arcs .. and seem to judder and fart cutting along splines (depending I believe on the toolpath software)

I can see great potential in this !

[By the way, armed with the advice that Solidworks could do this .. my associate just tried and couldn't get it to work]

I still think you should speak to Robert at MeshCAM .. see if you can't strike a Rhino-like bundling/plugin deal (I realise his stuff is PC only at present). Such a deal could certainly attract new customers & credibility

Well done Tim !!
Exocubic  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:03:35 AM(UTC)
Exocubic

Tim - that looks perfect. Are there user-definable parameters/options? I know you probably can't answer this, but any clue about development timeline - will these new tools be implemented as a point upgrade, or will we have to wait for V5? (and if the latter, do you have a rough idea of a release date?) I could really use the view manipulation changes immediately.

Thanks again.

Addendum: would this kind of conversion algorithm make possible the conversion of a series of straight line segments into a series of matching tangent arcs? I do a lot of tracing over of "curves" from SketchUp, and automating this process would be AWESOME - and a huge selling point for SU users.
Tim Olson  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 9:16:15 AM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Are there user-definable parameters/options?

I've only implemented a tolerance option. What kind of additional options would we need?
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
tmay  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:49:01 AM(UTC)
tmay

Tim,

This is a great feature!

I've wanted this for a long time now so that I could convert illustrator artwork into arcs for use on a waterjet (and I even talked to a software engineer at Solidworks about this in January; they cant' do it.). Many of these older 2 axis controls aren't able to process point to point motions rapidly, so small incremental moves to simulate splines kill productivity.

GibbsCAM has this feature, but it is always hit or miss with the spline formats that it will work well with. The conversion parameter that they use is a minimum radius, and I think that is enough.

tom
jol  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 2:09:19 PM(UTC)
jol

Very excited about this .. as Tom says the milling head stutters along splines, but runs fast & smooth along arcs

Also:

Just a question - would this functionality be better placed in ..

.. Edit>change object type
tmay  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:02:52 PM(UTC)
tmay

jol wrote:
Very excited about this .. as Tom says the milling head stutters along splines, but runs fast & smooth along arcs

Also:

Just a question - would this functionality be better placed in ..

.. Edit>change object type

Jol,

If it was me, I would have a single tool that would:

a) convert to arc (minimum radius parameter and/or slider for feedback)
b) offset curve (offset parameter, inside/outside button)
c) add centerpoint to arcs (y/n button; good for hand programming G code)
d) export (y/n button, default format, default folder)

This makes it easy to import the converted curve to another application by just importing from the default folder. You still need to deal with the G codes or equivalent, but the centerpoints might be helpful.

I used to use the offset and arc centerpoints with dimensioning to hand program G code prior to getting GibbsCAM. It wasn't too bad for simple stuff, but more features meant for complexity. No reason that can't be done as is with CU.

tom
jol  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 3:15:38 PM(UTC)
jol

Tom .. thanks .. learning heaps and appreciate the ongoing comments
Tim Olson  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:28:55 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>Just a question - would this functionality be better placed in ..
>>.. Edit>change object type

Yes, I think you are right.
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Tim Olson  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:32:14 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

>>would this kind of conversion algorithm make possible
>the conversion of a series of straight line segments
>>into a series of matching tangent arcs?

If I understand you correctly, you want to select a collection of lines/polylines and convert them into a collection of tangent arcs?
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
Exocubic  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2007 8:33:40 AM(UTC)
Exocubic

Exactly. SketchUp's arcs, circles, and curves are actually facetted entities. When they are exported, they come across as series of straight lines. This can produce files with enormous numbers of entities, which CNC machines gag on. I spend a lot of time tracing these collections of straight lines into actual arcs; automating the process would save TONS of time, and, therefore, shekels.
jol  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:15:13 AM(UTC)
jol

Tim

Any news on when this convert to arc function might be available. I'm interested in testing it to see if it can - as I suspect - allow a cutter to process spline-derives data much more quickly
Tem  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:40:27 AM(UTC)
Tem

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The other day I sent a dxf file to a company that does laser cutting.
The program that is used to provide code for the laser cutter choked on a
simple spline. The laser cutter program needs lines and arcs, not splines. It also had errors with basic circles and radii. Can we have a Change object command feature soon please? It seems to be a very basic feature in this line of work and would be greatly appreciated. It is too bad we can't simply point the finger at the other poor software developers and tell them to modernize something that already "just works" so that us designer types don't have to futtz with all these simple geometry and file format translation issues.

I don't expect any solutions, but some added insight to my next sub-comment would be appreciated.
It seems that there is a lack of communication between the CAD industry and the makers of machines that add & remove material in the real world. Or is it that the solutions that are available are just too expensive for the typical job shop businesses? I suppose it could just be a general resistance to change or a risk in disrupting daily workflow? It is complicated, I am sure.
tmay  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:50:26 PM(UTC)
tmay

Curves to arcs will do what you want, and quite nicely I might add.

I used to make pocket money scanning images in Illustrator and converting them into dxf files that could be used by a waterjet to cut tile for home entries. It was very time consuming. That market is pretty much dead now, but this new functionality in SharkFX will make similar tasks much easier.

tom