logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
statusis4F  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2024 10:34:53 AM(UTC)
statusis4F

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been using ViaCad on MacOS for awhile but I am not an expert. I generally get things to work but I don't do anything too fancy.

One thing I have struggled with is the procedure to duplicate or copy a part, along with its history, so that I can edit the various modifications, like cutouts, without having to recreate the part from scratch. A simple copy/paste does not cut it. I just get a solid with no history. There are are two "duplicate" options in the right-click (contextual) menu when selecting a part; "duplicate as instance" and "duplicate as history". Neither of these commands are referenced in the (almost 800 page) PDF manual or the web version.

Selecting "duplicate as instance" gives a copy with a history but any modifications to the duplicate are applied to the original. I see that "child links" are added when I look in Concept Explorer but I am not sure what that means. Selecting "duplicate part with history" gives a copy but I am not sure what history is propagated as I don't see any of the cutouts or modifications I made to the original.

I believe it is common to want to modify a part as a duplicate or copy but I can't figure out the best process. For now, I just do Save As to make a new copy for the whole project and modify the one part in the copy.

As long as I am asking, when using "duplicate", is there a reliable way to distinguish between the original and duplicate as they have the same name attribute?

rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2024 1:43:26 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Usually, I do that duplicate approach to replicate the same thing and flip it over to mirror it. First thing I do is select the first lowered number attribute to say "original part" and then I can distinguish between the two. I then flip the copy and then I change anything from the concept explorer history such as increasing the hole size or add a taper or blend something afterwards while keeping the foundation intact.

Of course if you change a 2D profile for an extrude command in the part, it will change both the original and the copy as one profile is used in both parts. Sort of have to keep track. Making a duplicate file would also work. It is more challenging to figure out what is what in one file.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work