logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
flatpack  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2019 8:26:31 AM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I am just wondering how many of you work with sheet metal on a regular basis. Lately I've been having to incorporate a lot of sheet metal into my work due to project constraints. Since my primary expertise is in panel processing not sheet metal, I'm hoping to hear that shark/vc helps with designing for at least some of the common fabrication processes. I imagine the bend tool is one of the main ones used? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated as far as using Shark/VC in this capacity.

Thank you!
murray  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:19:08 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Producing a folded or bent sheet metal part is approached by designing the case to its intended finished dimensions then unfolding it to account for corner clearance punchouts, and bend area accounting for the material thickness, the bend's neutral depth, which is the depth in the material thickness that has no material stretch or compression, and the bend or fold machinery or method, which can influence that characteristic. I don't think that the bend tool is useful for any of that, it doesn't accommodate any of those factors, Shark has no sheet metal flattening capacity ATM. Shark/VC's powerpack unroll ruled surface tool is pretty good for general ruled surfaces, but it has a specific weakness that stops it flattening trimmed cylindrical surfaces, added to that you'd still have to accommodate neutral depth material offsets in the initial design if you decided to use it anyway.
flatpack  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:06:33 PM(UTC)
flatpack

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Thanks for the advice Murray! I can see that I'm going to need to take a course or something on sheet metal design. And maybe a new piece of software..?
murray  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2019 10:02:44 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
TurboCAD Platinum's sheet metal/unbending tools is pretty mature now, and now that Shark and TurboCAD have the same ownership, that might be something that'll cross over from TC. It's my opinion (I'm an opinionated bloke!) that sheet metal's basic trick is to give the arc length of the bend material at the material's neutral depth. Some sheet metal programs will give you "springback" figures, so you bend more than 90 degrees because the material will spring back to the 90 that you want, but that also varies depending on the material and machinery, and it's usually found empirically.
Tim Olson  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:51:21 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>>TurboCAD Platinum's sheet metal/unbending tools is pretty mature now, and now that Shark and TurboCAD have the same ownership, that might be something that'll cross over from TC.

Something I have been looking at...

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
jmischo  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:04:39 PM(UTC)
jmischo

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Something I have been looking at...

Tim

This is something I've been wanting to see in Shark for a long time, along with constraints. I'm struggling with justifying the upgrade to V11 right now because of the lack of constraints, TBH. Any idea when constraints will make it from Via to Shark? I'm kind of surprised that they landed in Via in V10 IIRC and still haven't landed in Shark for V11 (unless the feature grid is wrong?!?).
jmischo  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 11:17:17 AM(UTC)
jmischo

Originally Posted by: jmischo Go to Quoted Post
Any idea when constraints will make it from Via to Shark? I'm kind of surprised that they landed in Via in V10 IIRC and still haven't landed in Shark for V11 (unless the feature grid is wrong?!?).

So, according to the launch email that I just found in my spam folder, constraints are in Pro v11, which makes WAY more sense. That said, someone should fix the feature grid, because it almost turned me away. I'll mention it to Todd when I talk to him later, since I need to do that anyway.