logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
axel  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 9:32:24 AM(UTC)
axel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hello everyone,

My name is Axel
This is my first post on this forum
I am in Europe in Belgium.

Sorry for my bad English: it's a translator !

I use Viacad Pro since 2014 (VCP 8 first and then update to VCP 10 in 2017).
I use it only to draw objects that I make by 3D printing (my site: melezia.be)
I use a PC with Windows 7 pro 64 bit and Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~ 3.3GHz with 8 GB of ram

For several months, the software was no longer stable : he was no longer responding to orders or so after a long time, he left unexpectedly.
I contacted Todd of Punch Cad who advised me to install a graphics card like Nvidia's Quadro p400 and still 8GB of RAM

This has been done but the pc is even more unstable and it is no longer possible to use VCP because it constantly loses the tool pallets, hangs even more than before and often leaves unexpectedly.

I tested VCP 11 and Shark 10 : same problems

My questions :
- do you also have these problems ?
- Which pc configuration and which windows do you use ?

Thanks for the answers
horst.w  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 4:40:22 PM(UTC)
horst.w

Germany

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Hi,

I have sometimes the same behaviors with VCP 11 while VCP 10 is running stabil.
I use nearly the same basics on a laptop and it seams for me, it is caused by using S3D at the same time. S3D V 4.1.1 crashs often (well known issue) but simultanly running with VCP 11 both are instabil.

horst.w
GER
ViaCAD 9 Pro german + ViaCAD 10 Pro & PowerPack + ViaCAD 11, Win7Prof 64 Bit upgraded to Win 10 64 Bit
UGMENTALCASE  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 6:21:36 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 303 time(s) in 205 post(s)
I have trouble all the time, just when you think it's safe to not save, it'll get you with an all out crash. If I do an A0 drawing in V11 zooming in and out makes the dimensions disappear, it's just not right. A smaller sheet works fine, they stay there and don't disappear. Trouble is, I read use a Nvidia card. Well if I use my nvidia in my laptop, it's terrible when drawing a line, ghosting and all sorts. So I just use built in graphics.

Theres no consistency to the crashes, so you can't report anything.
axel  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 3:38:43 AM(UTC)
axel

Hello Horst w,
Thank you for your answer.
I have stability problems when VCP10 is open alone but also often when VCP10 is opened at the same time as Z-Suite (for Zortrax 3D printers) or and Cura 15,04 or 3,5,1
You have also a separate graphics card ?

Hello Ugmentalcase,
Thank you for your answer.
You use also a Nvidia graphics card?

I must say that I have these problems because I draw often complicated objects that make large files (> 20 MB) with many components, many layers, with objects that have complex geometries.
If I draw a simple object, I have no problem.

I wonder then what can serve a dedicated graphics card if it does not help the calculation.
I spoke with a Shark reseller here in Europe and he urges me to upgrade to Windows 10
I quote him :
"Concerning instabilities, it's often more due to Windows than Shark itself;
Indeed :
Shark 10 is meant to be used on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
On a previous system, it can pose a problem of instability because the system does not support the scalability, and the SHARK interface is not planned for Aero which is disconnected automatically at launch.

So using a SHARK 10 (or Viacad Pro 10) on a Windows 10, you will have the maximum possible stability on this software.

By cons there is still the story of the anti virus ...

Since Windows 10 there is no need to add an anti virus because the system is protected by windows defender. Of course, this does not please the market of the anti virus and by default many manufacturers put you an anti-paid virus like Kasperski or other.

The problem with these anti-viruses is that they do not support the scalability of the 3D software performing a calculation and cause it to quit, deciding that it is malicious.

For 3D use only the Windows Defender antivirus that came with your system and if you installed another one, uninstall it. "

I will update to W10 as soon as possible in January and come back to say the result
horst.w  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 9:44:03 AM(UTC)
horst.w

Germany

Graphic cards,
standard is Intel HD Grapfics 3000, integrated - not deactivated -
additional NVIDIA GeForce GT 555 M
both are working with no conflicts.

I use Bitdefender.

I can not define a only one reason for the crashes, mostly its a MS-message like this: the program does not answer , the program has no reaction; less common it crashs while moving the mouse or clicking to a part or a window. It happens when working with also often than I rewake the program for continuing the draw.
The graphical dropouts are more annoying than cause of crashes.

The models I draw are mostly simple or even very simple. I have not the impression that a complexe model and / or a big file cause more crashes.

H.
ViaCAD 9 Pro german + ViaCAD 10 Pro & PowerPack + ViaCAD 11, Win7Prof 64 Bit upgraded to Win 10 64 Bit
UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2019 4:22:41 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Similar set up with me, built in Intel graphics runs it fine. But I have issues between V10 and V11. The website says its OK on Windows 7?
I use my laptop and nvidia 2gb graphics to run Catia V5 and it never complains. I have a Viacad file that's 200+ mb and it's fine, but then I have something really small and it moans about links and crashes and hangs. I have found if you do something, delete it change things a lot it seems to mess up very quickly.
axel  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:37:45 AM(UTC)
axel

Hello,

Thank you again for your answers.
It can be said that there is not a single reason for the instability of VCP10.

My only other question : do you have Windows 10 ?

I keep in memory files changed too often : this is the case for me, because I often modify objects many times from the same file.
To lose nothing, I save my different versions under other names: objectv1; objectv2, etc ...
Maybe VCP does not like that!

Axel
horst.w  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:45:34 AM(UTC)
horst.w

Germany

.... uuuups!
In the NVIDIA-control center both programs were not embraced (what's the consequence?). I have embedded them now and set the 3D-options all to automatical choice (recommended). I wait now what happens.

H.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 2, 2019 5:46:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

axel  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 12:58:14 PM(UTC)
axel

Hello,

Thank you Horst!
It's very interesting !
I've also seen (in Windows 7) that in the Nvidia control panel, VCP10 was not visible in the very short list of programs it had found.
I just added VCP10 and chose "3D default global settings"
is it also your choise ?
could you show a screenshot with your setting ?

I will also test VCP10 with this change the next days :I can not test this Thursday and Friday but I come back this weekend on the forum with an opinion on this adaptation
horst.w  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 4:35:54 PM(UTC)
horst.w

Germany

Yes, its a identical setting.

After changing the settings I have launched the program several times, so I guess all detailed settings are "automatically" selected. I have done no other changes.
Today no crashes and no dropouts while working. But that was always the problem, often the whole week nothing and than 3 times on the bounce.

H.
horst.w attached the following image(s):
NVIDIA Control Center_1.png (74kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
NVIDIA Control Center_2.png (60kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
NVIDIA Control Center_3.png (61kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
NVIDIA Control Center_4.png (89kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
UGMENTALCASE  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 2, 2019 4:46:34 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

I've fiddled with these settings and I believe they make little difference. Don't get me wrong I'm no expert on the settings, but having a read of what they do in the little information bar, I can't see them affecting the program. I think it's more to do with gaming and getting nice crisp lines and edges on graphics.
If you go to 'desktop' along the top, you can turn on the nvidia quick launch tray thingy. This changes colour when the card is being used. Another good check that it's definitely using the right card. It looks like a little processor in the quick launch area. Mine turns a greeny colour when I run programs with it.
I mainly use the built in Intel card, unless I'm spinning a big model around and then I'll just right click the icon and select 'run with high performance nvidia card ' option