logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sunstarer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:36:03 PM(UTC)
Sunstarer

Just gave Viacad Pro v11 a spin and wanted to share my thoughts. To call it buggy would be an understatement. Worst problem for me on my Win 7 x64 CAD workstation, a Dell precision M6600 with Quadro 4000M graphics card was the screen drawing issues. Virtually every thing I drew resulted in phantom graphics, sometimes an entire screen full of them showing over a suddenly grayed out background. It was quite frustrating. Drawing a simple line resulted in a series of graduated hexagons with solid fill covering the left half of the screen. Drawing a simple line hexagon resulted in a filled in hexagon while drawing and upon the second click to finish it, it turned into a filled square. The weirdness just went on and on. I am running Viacad Pro 9 and have been for years without any such screen drawing issues. This is bizarre behavior and v11 is utterly unusable for me until the bugs are worked out.
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 2:39:14 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Hello

It sounds like some compability issue with the graphics card win 7 drivers as I don't see any graphic issues on win 10 system.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
Sunstarer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2018 3:14:35 PM(UTC)
Sunstarer

Must be. I just installed the v11 trial on another Win 7x64 workstation and I'm not seeing the same issues. There aren't any newer drivers to try on the laptop and likely never will be. All my other CAD programs have no issues at all with graphics on this machine. Lucky me.
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 11:26:46 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I can't run either VC or shark on nvidia graphics. When drawing lines there is daft amounts of ghost lines left everywhere and you have no idea which is which. I only use it when I'm opening a big model and need to thin it out. Otherwise use my built in Intel mobile graphics.
Sunstarer  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 1:19:04 PM(UTC)
Sunstarer

I wonder why v9 runs well enough, no screen drawing artifacts and v11 does not, with my hardware. I can pop in a different graphics card, an AMD, which I might try some rainy day.
posh.de  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 5:58:57 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sunstarer Go to Quoted Post
...a Dell precision M6600 with Quadro 4000M graphics card was the screen drawing issues.

older Quadros resp. their drivers are known for OpenGL issues not only w/ Shark/VC but also e.g. SketchUp.

Which driver version do you use ("Win+R > dxdiag > Display")? The latest revision directly from nVidia would be version 377.83 for Win 7/8 from 01/18/2018.

OpenGL issues may arise if an evolving OpenGL implementation of a more recent application revision does make use of an extended set of the current OpenGL API.

We did not have good experiences w/ the OGL support of at least the AMD Radeon consumer graphics cards and therefore do recommend the nVidia GeForce GT(X) series only.

Edited by user Monday, November 12, 2018 5:59:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Link added

POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
Sunstarer  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 12, 2018 10:52:00 AM(UTC)
Sunstarer

Thanks very much for the detailed response. I have in fact been using the latest 377.83 driver. I have no issues running Autocad 2018, Sketchup 2018, Rhino 6 or Viacad Pro v9. This is a pretty isolated problem that only shows up with Viacad Pro v11. (Not only do I not have any graphics issues with those programs but they move like butter on screen, something Viacad has never done on any system I used. Shark/Viacad always struck me as sluggish in relation to other CAD programs. Even with smaller file sizes. Rhino is undoubtedly the smoothest of the lot in terms of graphics fluidity, IME).

This high end laptop is sold as a CAD workstation and it performs as intended with other programs. Perhaps if others report an issue like mine it might be investigated and resolved, is my hope. I'd really like to upgrade to VC11 for the constraints alone.