logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ZeroLengthCurve  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2018 11:46:43 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Hi,

I'm using Shark FX 9 Build 1217

I spent a few weeks on geometry and labeling it with Box Text. I'm really regretting it now because it refuses to remain visible when I rotate it. SO, I spent a lot of time rotating geometry and text, and drag-copying it off to the side to do further iteratation edits, all the while not noticing that on rotation of geomety, text was "disappearing", and when I drag-copied it, I'd have to filter for text and select it to get rid of it. This is tedious since I can't recall the angles at which something was days-earlier rotated.

On closer inspection, it appears as though the text is not really rotating, but that some "invisible dial" rotates and closes a view slot/slit to make the text vanish. Having read the various change logs and some posts about text issues, I learned there may be some way to "change" the text. But, no selection of text tells me whether it's horizontal text or box text or text-along-a-curve text...

When I create text along a path -- using a straight line as a test case for rotating text -- rotating the text throws this:

"ACIS Error
! wire is not planar"

It takes at least 8 escapes to get out of that error message repeat.

Is there a patch or some way for selecting all the box text and making it all Horizontal Text? Horizontal text seems OK, and I regret that I didn't just use it first.

I did a forum search on "rotate text", and a 6-months-old change log appeared, covering revs 1319-1370. I then found 1186-1209.

I found in it no mention of errors related to rotating text and the result being the text disappears from view.

I searched for "change log 1217", but it was a much shorter list of changes than other change logs cover. My issue was not in the post for changes impacting Build 1217
rockyroad_us  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 2:30:19 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
maybe people will tend to help if you provided a file. I still have FX9 around.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
thanks 1 user thanked rockyroad_us for this useful post.
ZeroLengthCurve on 11/4/2018(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 9:30:13 PM(UTC)
ZeroLengthCurve

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I generally agree. But, this is simple, plain text.

I believe I recall the issues with mirroring text are resolved in distant-later builds, but that is an issue impacting me in the v9.0.12 Build (1217) for which I'm licensed.

Steps:

1. Open a blank file or use an open one (I've not had any crashes related to text).

2. Create a string of Box Text in any planar view.

3. Using the Gripper, rotate the Box Text to any value other than 360 or its multiples.

The text's bounding box is wiping the text from view.

======== ============ ============ ==========

OPTIONAL notes, extended details readily apparent doing solely the above:

Notes:

1. It's clean, and there can be no doubts of errant hidden geometry or text or points lurking in the file or of the file itself.

2. I use an assigned single-letter shortcut).

3. It doesn't matter whether the Gripper is used immediately while the text is initially still in selection. Nor does it matter whether the Gripper's attach point is "User Positioned" or "Center of Selected".

Interestingly, on further exploration, I used User Positioned and clicked on the middle of the text.

A. When I use negative rotation (from 0 deg to about 75 deg, or 12:00 to almost 3:00 of the Translation handle) the text letters are "pushed" down to almost a column. As the text is affected, the center point seems to rise like a sine-wave ride over the Gripper vertex.

B. If I use positive rotation (to the left), then at roughly the 11:00 position of the green Translation handle the text disappears. None of the text expands or becomes columnar, but the text dips below the Gripper vertex, and then disappears.

The text re-emerges into view if the rotation is sufficient, and rotating doesn't mangle or twist or distort the text. But, if anyone stumbled upon such text, it would be tedious to figure out its rotation to reset to readability.
L. Banasky  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 7:21:57 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 100 post(s)

<<<< The text's bounding box is wiping the text from view.>>>>

I find this is also happening in PC versions of SharkCad Pro, Shark Pro 9, and
the ViaCAD 11 Beta, using the gripper.
Larry
rockyroad_us  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 9:08:31 AM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ZeroLengthCurve Go to Quoted Post
I generally agree. But, this is simple, plain text.

I have misunderstood as there are several ways of entering text. horizontal text and box text. Yes, I confirm that the box text has an issue since only the box rotates but not the text.

I personally never have used the Box text. If I wanted a paragraph, I would normally use the horizontal text and hit enter at the end of the line and a new line would start as you type. Of course this leaves every line with its own box which you can grab all lines and rotate as you wish. I do see the box text to be more efficient if it worked properly.

FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
jlm  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:50:35 AM(UTC)
jlm

Man
France

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rockyroad_us Go to Quoted Post
I do see the box text to be more efficient if it worked properly.

I fully agree !

I remember the box text in Vellum 2.7, that worked perfectly, many years ago...