logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boydage  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:17:53 PM(UTC)
boydage

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi. I have been using ViaCad for years. Mostly using it for 2D stuff with a little bit of 3D thrown in there. So I have a friend who I have been making little bits and pieces for his home. The stuff like lattice work and the little timber buttons for the veranda.

Anyways. I was asked if I can make 1m lengths of the product in the picture attached. Original is tin, but I reckon I can make it out of timber. All of it (the design) I can do except for the weaving around the buttons. Is anyone on this forum keen to have a crack? I am willing to pay via Paypal or Bitcoin for an STI file of this so I can cut lengths with my CNC machine. I can supply good drawings 2D.

Darn. We get confident until we realise its just too hard haha.

Anyways I would love to hear from a 3D guru and perhaps make this very cool decorative piece.

Kind Regards
Boydage
File Attachment(s):
20181015_101046.jpg (3,442kb) downloaded 49 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
boydage  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:56:35 PM(UTC)
boydage

Another pic
murray  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 7:37:12 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
More efficient and reliable to take a mold off the piece you've got and cast copies in acrylic-modified gypsum.
boydage  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:45:50 PM(UTC)
boydage

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I dont agree. I can cut this out on a cnc router way faster. Only need 3m. Not worth making a mould, the sample I have is not uniform either.

Would be a quick job for a 3D guru this one, hours and hours for me...
BillB  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2018 4:19:54 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I don't know how old the piece you are trying to copy is, but the chances are that it, or the original pattern, was carved by hand.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
murray  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:12:11 AM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
It boils down to how much you're proposing to pay for your commission. You've got a length of the original, do you need a lookalike or an exact copy? You could get a reasonable model yourself by taking appropriately-lit photos and using PowerPack's heightfield generator or the ZSurf 4 freeware heightfield generator to create an .igs version, but if you're wanting a CAD modeller to make an adjustable parametric model I'd charge you USD 400 for my time. You might want to try Airtasker or an equivalent to find a lower bid.

BTW what happened to the other pic? Not seeing it....

Edited by user Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:13:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UGMENTALCASE  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:57:21 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
I think the best thing here is get it scanned. You could literally spend hours doing this. I like a challenge but would it turn out the same as what you wanted? Probably not. There is a program called Regard3d, this works on photogrammetry. Take a sh*t load of pictures fire it through the software and it builds a model for you. All free, and I would say 100% faster than trying to remodel it.