logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art Smith  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2018 10:44:14 AM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
has anyone else experienced "curious" behavior of the "Verify tool" when checking the length of a number of very similar length joined control point splines in order? the observed intermittent behavior dates back to my use of ViaCAD v7. the "curious" behavior happens every three to six months usually when attempting to dial in a complex tube to a specific length to four places to the right of the decimal point. the "curious behavior" happens so infrequently I don't have any sense of a geometric pattern that might be at work. the vast majority of the time the "Verify tool" provides quality/expected answers. that being the case, I'm wondering about buffers/stacks that are not being completely cleared or AI components that might be included............... since I can't differentiate between the "Joining tool" and the "Verify tool", the same questions apply to the "Joining tool".

the attached image shows the current problem geometry; multiple joined line and arc segments forming a control point spline. also included in the image is the Excel spreadsheet of the iterative design process. column B is the length reported by the "Verify tool". it can be seen that the reported length is converging nicely to 28.500329 at which point the "curious" behavior sets in. the initial reported value of 28.500967 was clearly NOT the expected outcome and ALL subsequent trials have yielded 28.501158. the spline has been deleted and redrawn multiple times AND SharkCAD Pro has been restarted and the spline redrawn with NO change in the "curious" behavior..........?? the "curious" behavior is a math/computer science problem, not an engineering problem to be solved by using less precision.

Art
[email protected]
Art Smith attached the following image(s):
Verify tool curious behavior.JPG (36kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.