logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WORP3  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 9:15:38 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
During an DXF export of a design it seems that Z coordinates are a bit between different lines/arcs of the 2D drawing. For some reason during modeling I keep getting misalignment between snappoints :( (So small it's not even showing on the coordinate on the top right screen. Sometimes there is a -0.0 and an other coordinate is showing 0.000.
As the DXF is also saving the Z value's and the program i'm exporting to has a lot of problems with these Z value's not all being zero. I need to reset all of the arc and line coordinates to zero.

Unfortunately I can't find a way within ViaCad Pro which makes this possible :( Could have been soo easy to just select everything, enter new Z value for every coordinate and ready, done..

Anyone out there with a brilliant idea?
L. Banasky  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:05:55 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Hi,
Might not be a brilliant idea, but use 2D only, no Z coordinates created.
What program gives you problems? I use SheetCAM, and things work well.
Larry
L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
2D Only.jpg (64kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
WORP3  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 10:51:25 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: L. Banasky Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
Might not be a brilliant idea, but use 2D only, no Z coordinates created.
What program gives you problems? I use SheetCAM, and things work well.
Larry

I know, ideally that would be the way to go, designing it all in 2D. But all the 2D parts are extracted of different 3D objects which i've created first. After the 3D version was completed i've extracted all of the surfaces of the 3D objects and stitched them together to make one 2D sheetmetal part. Somewhere along the line some Divination on the Z axis which is really frustrating :( As far as I know there isn't a flatten option within ViaCad Pro.

The other program is a portal from a company which isn't giving good error messages, can't change that unfortunately.

If I look to the side of the 2D design it should be a flat line but when I zoom in to the max I see some height differences.
Tim Olson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:56:12 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
>Unfortunately I can't find a way within ViaCad Pro which makes this possible :

Try the "Project Curve to Plane" tool which is the last icon in the surface utilities palette.

Tim
Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
thanks 1 user thanked Tim Olson for this useful post.
WORP3 on 9/7/2018(UTC)
Jolyon  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:24:27 PM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Tim

In the Inspector -

... I always wished for ...

- select multiple points (currently not possible)

then

- enter new value

Jol

Edited by user Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:25:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jolyon attached the following image(s):
select multiple points and enter new value.jpg (40kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

UGMENTALCASE  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2018 4:16:05 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
One thing I am doing a lot of recently is making sure the work plane snap tool is on. So set my work plane on the object I am using. go to the snap bar and select work plane. This will ensure anything you click will be on the work plane. even if you go beyond the work plane to pick up an edge of something else, it will put the info on the work plane.

I started doing this when my lines where drifting a little, and this makes good practice I believe.
WORP3  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 9:39:58 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: UGMENTALCASE Go to Quoted Post
One thing I am doing a lot of recently is making sure the work plane snap tool is on. So set my work plane on the object I am using. go to the snap bar and select work plane. This will ensure anything you click will be on the work plane. even if you go beyond the work plane to pick up an edge of something else, it will put the info on the work plane.

I started doing this when my lines where drifting a little, and this makes good practice I believe.

That is the best thing to do but sometimes I forget to shift the workplane and enable the snap as it was already snapping correctly on some other point on the solid. Normally this should go correctly, or at least you should assume that this is working perfectly.

WORP3  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 9:47:27 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Try the "Project Curve to Plane" tool which is the last icon in the surface utilities palette.

Tim

I will try that, thanks.
WORP3  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 7, 2018 10:53:45 AM(UTC)
WORP3

Netherlands

Originally Posted by: Tim Olson Go to Quoted Post

Tim

That seems to be working, didn't know that option was there or actually I was thinking that all of those functions where just for meshes.
See before and after a little test. Z set on 0.001 before and after moving to 20 it was on 20 instead of 20.001, great.
I already solved it using a different methode, namely: Extract outline to solid, make a second solid that is larger but only half the height, subtracted it from the first solid and extracted the top surface of this solid. After this all Z coordinates are at the same level :)

Edited by user Friday, September 7, 2018 10:57:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added additional methode.

WORP3 attached the following image(s):
BeforeMove.JPG (35kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
AfterMove.JPG (33kb) downloaded 0 time(s).