logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PRP  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 4:45:50 PM(UTC)
PRP

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello Tim,

I have cases where a Skin Surface operation over multiple profiles (meant to be exact cross-sections of the generated surface) are approximate but the surface skips over particularly steep portions of the profiles.

None of the choices in the Options popup seem to help the precision of the surface in following the profiles.

Is there a parameter in the calculations for generating the surface that could be accessed (say in Options) to increase the precision of the calculations? I'd expect a penalty in the calculation time, but in many cases that would be acceptable. One (say default setting) could be used for coarse calculations, then a higher precision set if necessary.

I use the surfaces to generate 3D printed prototypes, and the solids of course include the discrepancies in the surfaces.

In the image, all the curves are continuous, where they seem to have breaks is where the surface isn't tracking closely and covers over the profile. Likewise there are places where the surface is underneath a part of the profile so it's not obvious in the image.

This occurs in all recent versions of ViaCad including Pro 11.

Thanks,

Paul
PRP attached the following image(s):
Skin Surface.png (286kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Tim Olson  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:10:49 PM(UTC)
Tim Olson

United States

Was thanked: 498 time(s) in 352 post(s)
Hello Paul

Is it possible that what you are seeing is display resolution? The actual Skin NURB (math definition) is displayed to the user via approximate facets (surface) and line segments (curves). STL uses the triangular facets so it is an issue to be concerned about.

Can you change the resolution to Edit : Change Resolution: Super Fine: Precise and see if that makes a difference?

Tim

Tim Olson
IMSI Design/Encore
PRP  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:02:27 AM(UTC)
PRP

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Tim,

Bingo!

Funny, I almost always set the profiles to Superfine and then the surface to superfine also. The case shown had superfine profiles but not the surface. Below is image with all superfine.

That seems to solve it, see image.

Regarding 3D printing, I always take the stl defaults and adjust Normal Deviation lower and lower until I reach close to the Shapeways limit in number of triangles (<1,000,000), then check to insure the file size is below their limit of 64MB.
PRP attached the following image(s):
Superfine.png (395kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.