logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zombie101  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 3:46:14 PM(UTC)
Zombie101

Simply put i'm trying to edit a Stl file of a demons head. The problem is that I cann't cut any part or make holes in his head. If can could figure out why I cann't edit the stl file it be helpful. Even shark doesn't want to edit or have the tool that i can find to edit it.

My Project is to make pipes in the head so I can wire in some lights. I cann't edit STL file import to make the changes to it.
UGMENTALCASE  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 3:56:48 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 298 time(s) in 203 post(s)
Do you power pack? Think all the mesh editing tools are in there
Zombie101  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 5:24:22 PM(UTC)
Zombie101

Nope just viacad and shark. Is there a way can make Stl into a solid so it can be edited. Like imprinting it to a solid like a mold.
UGMENTALCASE  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 10:52:22 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

You can right click and change object type but it's limited to 3000 facets to be able to do that.

Or you can change it to surfaces, join all surfaces and split a solid that way. Painful might I add :-)

Edited by user Saturday, July 21, 2018 3:11:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zombie101  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 1:27:55 PM(UTC)
Zombie101

LOL even my simple old designs on tinkercad just about limit that there small simple objects. This demon has over 120k. As for the convert tool it really really weak 3000 facets is nothing to a any but a box with a few holes should be like 5k-300k limit Hell if I could mod the tool be set 50k if it took 1 hr convert like I would care.

I cann't even do part of it even a horn tip it not change it if I select it. Stl to a solid should be a basic thing.
rockyroad_us  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 2:07:01 PM(UTC)
rockyroad_us

Man
United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 46 post(s)
Mesh to Nurbs
Originally Posted by: Zombie101 Go to Quoted Post
LOL even my simple old designs on tinkercad just about limit that there small simple objects. This demon has over 120k. As for the convert tool it really really weak 3000 facets is nothing to a any but a box with a few holes should be like 5k-300k limit Hell if I could mod the tool be set 50k if it took 1 hr convert like I would care.

I cann't even do part of it even a horn tip it not change it if I select it. Stl to a solid should be a basic thing.

Try this video about converting mesh to a solid in Nurbs. Thinker cad is a starting point in doing CAD. I started with Sketchup despite having learned autocad and picking up after 10 years of no autocad. To tell tell you the truth, I tried jumping back to autocad but later found this site and CAD has never been the same for me but even better with the 3D tools.
FX 7-FXPro14-1650
MacPro 11.7.4
2x2.8GHz Quad Xeon 32GB
NVIDIA 4 K5000 4GB
Work
UGMENTALCASE  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 2:22:08 PM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

He doesn't have powerpack so can't do the nurbs thing, plus when you watch the turtle vid the amount of surfaces it converts is a very small amount, anything bigger and you can have a small holiday whilst you wait for it, especially the amount Zombie is talking about.

http://www.resurf3d.com/Objmesh2solid.htm

Take a look at this, it rounds off the edges though. I did some tests and it wasn't right for me, but might help you. I have the stl to nurbs, it works well if the surface is simple, start getting too complex going round corners and it doesn't know what to do. The obj one works well with a closed mesh though.
murray  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 2:49:43 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Maybe try Blender - or TinkerCAD, for that matter. .stl was never intended to be a modelling format or to be editable. I think that I remember that the 3K face limit was implemented in V7, I started using VC with V5 and if my memory is right, higher facet-count meshes could be solidified. But it was sl-o-o-w to happen and sl-o-o-w to edit the solid afterwards, and meshes just aren't CAD-edit-friendly. CAD(nurb) modelling and mesh modelling aren't the same thing, whatever your opinions about what should be basic functions.
STL format has some precise descriptions about how faces and vertices can meet, adding new faces never conforms to those parameters, so despite the fact that you export or save something that you call an.stl file, it's actually not, and although modern slicers like Cura can be tolerant of that, Netfabb,Micrmagics and other commercial.stl checking apps will report that your object is dodgy.

Edited by user Saturday, July 21, 2018 4:09:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zombie101  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 2:29:30 AM(UTC)
Zombie101

yea one weakness of cading cann't mod everything. In this case turn a insane count STL demon in to a solid easy solid so you can pluck out eye and stick a pipe though his head to you can make a light up eyed demon.

I have like feecad and blender in my machine. Though blender a mystery program in it tried to with it like a magic thing I cann't use. Freecad is not as much of a mystery just hard for me to use. Really hard and to undertand.

What parts the program is multicored I seen that save system is single core users and alot stuff just uses 1 core. Even even at shark level. I know a step file with stiTch faces can lock shark for hours probly days. Even my 1800x can help it CPU. Backup with a rX 480.

Edited by user Monday, July 23, 2018 2:41:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

posh.de  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 8:31:33 AM(UTC)
posh.de

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Netfabb rulez for viewing, analyzing and editing facetted STL meshes (free Basic edition avail.).

CAD modeling operations are single threaded only (in all CAD systems), thus multi-core CPUs won't help.
POSH GmbH
www.posh.de
murray  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2018 10:20:32 PM(UTC)
murray

Australia

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
If you want to mess around with stl files like this, Autodesk's Meshmixer is pretty excellent. It's not CAD and it's free.