logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daderaide  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:26:32 PM(UTC)
daderaide

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would like to suggest that the entities created in a .vcp file are numbered in some kind of intuitive way. Either chronologically or something. I'm not really sure what schema would be best from a programming perspective, but as it is now, each object/part/line/face/etc seems to be numbered randomly. If I open a new file and just click a single point at the origin, it gets named "Point_2073075". Where did this huge number come from? This naming scheme makes it extremely difficult to identify entities in the concept explorer
2013 Mac Pro - 12 core 3.4GHz w/ dual graphics - macOS 10.13 High Sierra
ViaCAD Pro 10 w/ PowerPack Pro
jdi000  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:44:08 PM(UTC)
jdi000

United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 81 post(s)
There is an internal numbering system not sure how exactly it works. But the program allows you to rename objects, if you need to. Not automatic but you can have more descriptive names.

Regards

Jason
Windows 11, 10
daderaide  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:20:05 AM(UTC)
daderaide

United States

Yes, that is completely true. But if the program had a more intuitive naming scheme internally, I wouldn't have to rename every single entity. Going through and naming every face, line, curve, point, edge etc would take an eternity. The point of this feature would be so that when there is an error message that references a certain feature that is causing problems, I would actually be able to find it without spending 3 hours looking for it lol

If it's some kind of counter internally, at least reset the counter for a new file. Even just that would be a big improvement. The names are so long that they don't even fit in the contextual select popup window when you click on a part.

Actually now that I'm messing with it more, it doesn't look like there is the ability to rename faces. After renaming a part, the faces still retain their 10+ digit numbers

Jolyon  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:01:04 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Agree - have banged on about it without joy in the past - it's a thing but it's not a huge thing

(Perhaps the numbers are generated by ACIS anyway ?)

I believe there are bigger issues to resolve - particularly around part-history breaking and the inability to modify even slightly complex components without rebuilding each time you iterate. When I iterate, I just assume I need to rebuild to avoid issues. I know you've touched on this with regard the split tool.

Jol
daderaide  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:56:26 PM(UTC)
daderaide

United States

agreed. It's a thing, but not a huge thing. If it's generated by ACIS i guess it would be pretty difficult to change, but if it's internal ViaCAD code, seems like low hanging fruit. There are certainly priorities though. Is Tim literally the only person who writes this program? PunchCAD is just one guy?