logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UGMENTALCASE  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 9:24:34 AM(UTC)
UGMENTALCASE

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 204 post(s)
Hi, I've just laid out a simple view, cut a section theough and done some dims on it. Sometimes I lile to flatten the view to be able to do other things with it, however they move when flattened?

So my plan view and section next to it, flattened the plan view it warned me the section is associated yes fine clicked ok, and you see the plan view move. Put in a dimension between the edge of the section view and the plan view and there's a 0.328mm difrerence?

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?
mmyoung  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:51:57 PM(UTC)
mmyoung

- You can flatten a model to 2D by using the Scale tool set to Differential scaling.
- You can also use this trick to flatten some drafting work that you want to make sure is FLAT.
- In your model draw a line that is "very long" in the z-axis (I usually draw it in the z direction
from the origin)
- Select your model AND the line, then choose Scale and choose Differential scaling.

Follow the procedure that appears in the ViaCAD (or whatever app) tool window:
-- You'll pick an anchor point (I usually use the origin).
-- Then you'll pick the 'start' point (I usually pick the extreme end of the "very long line".
-- Then choose the 'end' point (usually another point along the "very long line" that's
some ways closer to the 'anchor' point. It doesn't really matter where you put it.

Nothing will seem to have happened:
- You need to set the scaling axis values in the tool window.
- You can press the Tab key to cycle through axes or click in them and set a value.

- If you're trying to flatten your model, leave the x-axis and y-axis alone (set to 1.0),
but put a very small number in the z-axis, like 0.00000001. seriously.
Hit Enter/Return.

:: To check your work, choose the extremely small line segment that's left after you
squashed the model. You'll know you got it, because the Inspector window will report
that you selected something, even if you can't see it. (This is why I draw the "very long line"
from the origin.) Check its measurements in Object Properties, which may report zero length.

Your model is now pretty flat. You can do it again, if you want to be crazy certain.