logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Metin Seven  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 2:55:53 AM(UTC)
Metin Seven

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi,

I've been viewing these mesh to NURBS conversion videos:

Video 1

Video 2

And I'm wondering what I should buy to be able to perform such conversions? I currently own ViaCAD 2D/3D v9 for MacOS.

The quad mesh preparation is no problem. I own both 3D Coat and ZBrush for quad retopology. Having said this, a successful method to convert triangular meshes to NURBS would be fabulous, if that exists too.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Metin
visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design — metinseven.com
thanks 1 user thanked Metin Seven for this useful post.
GARLIC on 11/24/2017(UTC)
digitalphaser  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 2:20:08 PM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 51 post(s)
There are many solutions to this problem. But usually this pleasure coast a lot of money. The simplest way for you is viaCAD Pro/SharkCAD + PowerPack Pro.
Some CAD editors are able to do it too. There is also a specialized software. For example: SubD2CAD or this small not expensive utility RESURF - OBJ mesh to solid. For a while I used it. Although it looks obsolete but it works well enough with a simple and clean quad mesh.
Metin Seven  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 4:02:56 AM(UTC)
Metin Seven

Man
Netherlands

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for your reply, Digitalphaser, appreciated.

Is Powerpack Pro also compatible with ViaCAD 2D/3D? If not, what would it cost to upgrade my ViaCAD 2D/3D V9 to the latest ViaCAD Pro + Powerpack?

Currently I'm using MoI 3D + Max Smirnov's ImportObj and Subdivision plug-in commands to convert an all-quad polygon model to a solid, but the downsides to that workflow are:

• It only works properly in the case of relatively low-polygon models, because every quad poly is converted to an individual NURBS patch.

• There is no proper surface continuity when triangular polygons are present in the model.

Regarding the other tools you mentioned: I'm afraid they're both not available for Mac OS.

Thanks,

Metin

Edited by user Monday, November 27, 2017 4:05:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design — metinseven.com
digitalphaser  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 8:07:12 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: Metin Seven Go to Quoted Post
...Is Powerpack Pro also compatible with ViaCAD 2D/3D? If not, what would it cost to upgrade my ViaCAD 2D/3D V9 to the latest ViaCAD Pro + Powerpack?..

I do not know exactly. In my opinion you can find the detailed information here: http://masterviacad.com/store/index.html
Originally Posted by: Metin Seven Go to Quoted Post

• It only works properly in the case of relatively low-polygon models, because every quad poly is converted to an individual NURBS patch.

• There is no proper surface continuity when triangular polygons are present in the model.

It is partly right for PP Pro too. The low- mid-poly models(mostly quads) are best converted to solid. But good mesh up to 1,000,000 quads is also not a problem for PP Pro.
It is the maximum that I tested. But if I do a retopology of complexe model, I try not to exceed 200,000 polygons.

You can see some examples here: http://masterviacad.com/powerpackoverview/styled-50/page35.html
digitalphaser  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 8:40:37 AM(UTC)
digitalphaser

Man
Germany

A small experiment.
I took a model with a not very clean topology. Each part is up to 70,000 polygons (mostly quads and bit tries). PP easily cope with this task.
digitalphaser attached the following image(s):
pp1.jpg (78kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
pp2.jpg (61kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
pp3.jpg (91kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.