logo
NOTICE:  This is the new PunchCAD forum. You should have received an email with your new password around August 27, 2014. If you did not, or would like it reset, simply use the Lost Password feature, and enter Answer as the security answer.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Art Smith  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:45:09 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I continue to struggle with the operation of the "gripper" to the point it's avoided like the plague and a source of endless and growing aggravation when it's use is attempted........... available documentation hasn't help!

my current "opportunity" is representative of the very simple things I'd like to be able to do without bothering folks here at the forum. given a cross section of a solid model that's been grouped, I'd like to be able to translate it in plane so a specific point on the cross section is coincident with the line shown and then translate it again in plane along the line to achieve desired spacing with other objects not shown for clarity.

after selecting the grouped object and enabling the gripper, I'm able to set the gripper origin at the specific point above. ALL attempts to drag the grouped object to the desired point using the gripper's translation icon only moves the gripper..... what am I missing??

Art
[email protected]
Art Smith attached the following image(s):
gripper aggravation.jpg (41kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Jolyon  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:23:27 PM(UTC)
Jolyon

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Hi Art

Can you post your file ?

There is likely some association that is keeping the section in-situ

Try ... Edit>Remove links

If this is the case - we're clearly missing a dialog box - as this is indeed frustrating

If not, perhaps post the file and somebody can assist

Jol
Art Smith  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:31:48 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Jolyon-

thanks!! tried the Edit>Remove links to NO avail......

file attached per your recommendation

Art
[email protected]
File Attachment(s):
exhaust valve solid model and recommended seat public.sfx (411kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

Jolyon  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 4:54:59 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Hi there Art

I downloaded your file - I can't see anything obvious

Perhaps more coffee required !

In the meantime - press the option key (or whatever in windows) to copy it when you move it

... Hopefully that means you can get on with your work !?

So

- If I turn on points for the group - I get a bounding box I would not expect

- If I ungroup and the ctrl-d to turn ON points - there are arc centres ?? 20 units away (south) - that I don't understand

Jol
Jolyon  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 5:10:21 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

2 other ways of leaving problem data behind - sometimes works ...

- export data and reimport - in this case your ghost solid reappears - very odd (note that exporting native Shark / ViaCAD files is not the same as Save as. Problems sometimes become apparent / disappear when you do this). You can also try exporting and importing a SAT file - which is the base format.

- or simply copy the data and paste it into a new drawing (this seems to work)

Edited by user Thursday, November 23, 2017 5:27:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: expand

L. Banasky  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:48:59 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Hi Art,
Exported your drawing as a .jpg, did a quick trace, scaled as close as I could.
Lathe solid and Gripper seems to work. Original file showed gaps that were not easily
fixed. I think I would just redraw the valve to your dimensions and see if that helps.
Larry

<<<<I continue to struggle with the operation of the "gripper" to the point it's avoided like the plague and a source of endless and growing aggravation when it's use is attempted........... available documentation hasn't help!>>>>
I never use the Gripper, I wish they would have channeled the development to fixing
Model-To-Sheet instead, just my .02 cents.

Edited by user Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:17:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Traced.sfx (123kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
L. Banasky attached the following image(s):
Trace.jpg (44kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Art Smith  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:39:25 AM(UTC)
Art Smith

thanks guys. the nature of the project precludes redrawing.

is there a problem with the PowerPack "verify tools" that is hiding the problem?? I struggle to understand both what's going on AND how gaps in an object/group would prevent the Gripper from attaching.......

Art
[email protected]
is there a PowerPack problem hiding the root cause.jpg (44kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

Jolyon  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:52:05 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

You can extrude the profile - so that kinda suggests no gaps !?

Copy, delete (/hide), paste ... gets Gripper working (but you lose your associativity of course)

Edited by user Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:58:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: expand

L. Banasky  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:08:50 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

Just tried the original file again, and the results are better, strange.
Drew a vertical line, trimmed, and a Lathe Solid.
Gripper works on solid.
Larry
File Attachment(s):
exhaust valve solid model and recommended seat public1.sfx (513kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Original.jpg (20kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

L. Banasky  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 11:13:30 AM(UTC)
L. Banasky

O.K. Finally works now, Export as .DWG, Import .Dwg.
Gripper works on Outline.
Time now for some Turkey, Happy Thanksgiving.
Larry
File Attachment(s):
DWG Export and Import.sfx (14kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
DWG Export and Import.jpg (19kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Art Smith  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:57:50 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

thanks again guys!! I'm with you in thinking there is something "strange" going on ....

the imported STEP object checks clean!

it's my sense I need to get to the bottom this as a good deal of my work is done with laser scanned models I've paid for or 3rd party models from suppliers.

Art
[email protected]
imported object checks good.jpg (34kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Art Smith  
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 4:24:21 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

are there any restrictions/things to avoid in the use of the Gripper with "groups" ?? keeping in mind it's the Gripper, the Gripper is reasonably well behaved with respect to my expectations with solid objects. with "groups" I find it completely unpredictable or non-responsive. "joining" the collection of line segments and arcs that constitute the cross sections I'm working with isn't an option, the shape of the cross section changes dramatically because the lines and arcs aren't tangent at their interfaces........... grouping lines for locating with a solid object results in the same unpredictable/non-responsive behavior so I'm beginning to suspect the "groups" implementation

Art
[email protected]
Steve Carlisle  
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:03:15 PM(UTC)
Steve Carlisle

Originally Posted by: Art Smith Go to Quoted Post
are there any restrictions/things to avoid in the use of the Gripper with "groups" ?? keeping in mind it's the Gripper, the Gripper is reasonably well behaved with respect to my expectations with solid objects. with "groups" I find it completely unpredictable or non-responsive. "joining" the collection of line segments and arcs that constitute the cross sections I'm working with isn't an option, the shape of the cross section changes dramatically because the lines and arcs aren't tangent at their interfaces........... grouping lines for locating with a solid object results in the same unpredictable/non-responsive behavior so I'm beginning to suspect the "groups" implementation

Art
[email protected]

I am new to CAD, following through step by step on the video's, doing well mostly, but seem to have issues with the GRIPPER. The Subdivision Coffee Cup video, gives problem when selecting the mesh's, and using the Gripper to push them
down. the faces have been selected with the Deep Select tool, It selects random faces, never all of them, when using the PC'control key. I have been experimenting with not using the Gripper, no no success so far. any insight into this issue
would be appreciated.

Thanks,Steve Carlisle
Steve Carlisle  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:25:32 PM(UTC)
Steve Carlisle

Originally Posted by: Steve Carlisle Go to Quoted Post

Art
[email protected]

I am new to CAD, following through step by step on the video's, doing well mostly, but seem to have issues with the GRIPPER. The Subdivision Coffee Cup video, gives problem when selecting the mesh's, and using the Gripper to push them
down. the faces have been selected with the Deep Select tool, It selects random faces, never all of them, when using the PC'control key. I have been experimenting with not using the Gripper, no no success so far. any insight into this issue
would be appreciated.

Thanks,Steve Carlisle

UPDATE, my Gripper responds differently to the Demo videos, I have to turn Gripper OFF with right button, the Add Loop, selects all faces individually, then turn gripper back on, then push or pull with Gripper. Issue Solved !

Steve C

BillB  
#15 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 2:57:03 AM(UTC)
BillB

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Art
[email protected]

No but there are some lines that the gripper doesn't recognise. These include those produced from the Cut Section and Explode Curve tools.
Bill Bedford

Viacad Pro 11 (11417)

OS X 10.13.6
Jolyon  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 6:18:56 AM(UTC)
Jolyon

Bill - I think it's because the lines are 'involved' in the geometry - and therefor cannot be moved without breaking said model

Pressing the copy (CTRL?) key allows you to move a copy of it

However - there really should be a helpful dialog box warning when a line won't move as expected ... just to stop us all going mad
Art Smith  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 1:25:57 PM(UTC)
Art Smith

Originally Posted by: BillB Go to Quoted Post

No but there are some lines that the gripper doesn't recognise. These include those produced from the Cut Section and Explode Curve tools.

returning to Bill's post, does anyone have any documentation on the Gripper's limitations? I'm particularly interested in Gripper limitations operating on results from the "Cut Section" tool as it's both a sequence used frequently and as a consequence a major source of aggravation with the Gripper...............

Art
[email protected]